PDA

View Full Version : tie rods and inner CV boot

diathermy
09-05-2010, 23:15
Hi guys,

In process of changing wishbones. Nightmare because all bolts seized. Managed to get most off, but diecided to try and cut the pinch bolt with a grinder. Still not off!...have to get a new disc for the grinder.

Anyway......I have new track rods ends and tie rods/steering arms (not sure what most ppl call them).

My question is, how do I get the current ones off?....do I have to cut the rubber gaitors and replace or do they slip off?

Also noticed inner CV boot gone on driver side. Is it a real faff to replace?...shall i just replace shaft...or is it too much money?

also, what do I fill it with?...just grease I assume?

Anders
10-05-2010, 14:22
now bear with me on this it has been a LONG time since I did any work on the willy...

if you bouught new track rods, then you could of simply undone the 2 bolts holding them to the wishbones without actually changing the wishbones too...but I guess new bushes won't hurt either though.

You will have to take off the ARB too.

Should be pretty simple to swap out wishbones, just undo the strut bolts, and take the lower one out to help you lever everything free so you can pop out your lower joint.

As for the driveshaft...I think the drivers side is actaully on a stub axle, so you will need to get under the car and hammer out the roll pin that holds the drivesaft over the spline. Then it just sildes off...

If you are taking your wishbone out...then I would crack the job by whipping out driveshaft complete too.

It is the passenger driveshaft that is the bitch, as you have to drain gearbox beforehand...

use the right grade of grease for packing mate, can't remember which I used right now, but it wasn't your everday universal shite.