PDA

View Full Version : Brakes What ya Think / Advise?

Tuccy
02-05-2010, 23:31
Was looking for some advice on brake setups on pretty standard
williams 3?
Only Used for road use..

I want to replace my discs and was thinkin of going for drilled/grooved discs as they aint much more expensive than standard ones, and maby some decent pads

Lets say heavist road use.......sometimes :oops:
Whats Best in your opinion / experience

Just drilled?
Just grooved?
drilled & grooved?

Pro`s and con`s with these???

Also pads?? green stuff any good???
or maby you can suggest a better option??

Maby its just my car or maby my bad memory (3 years since its been driven) but i recall the anchors being pretty cr*p on it)

2 live
03-05-2010, 00:37
grooved...warp
grooved and drilled....warp and crack.

tbh iv had no problems with std discs and uprated pads. normal road use ocasional track use.

vkosho
03-05-2010, 01:21
They wont warp or crack under standard road use if any. I dont think theres much advantage to either apart from lookin the biz!

Decent pads are the most important thing. Ebc Greenstuff, Red dot and Carbon Lorraine fast road pads are all good.

16v_paddy
03-05-2010, 01:26
I've only got grooved discs on mine as I got lucky on an ebay auction, but you can't go far wrong with some group N discs from rally design.

In standard calipers for normal road use greenstuffs are pretty good IMO

Tuccy
03-05-2010, 02:20
ok guys
so basicially Drilled / Grooved discs do have issues of warp and crack, from the advice im getting here i might just get new standard discs then, and try the better pads, ie greenstuff,

what would be the benefit of the group n discs mentioned?

Tuccy
03-05-2010, 02:26
Ah i see, just had a look at that site rally design,
The group n discs would be high friction, fade resistant....
Sounds good and very reasonable price too,

So maby them and greenstuff pads :P

Thanks folks i really appreciate your advice :)

Purple
03-05-2010, 02:49
Have groove and drilled discs in front which I got from Demon Tweeks a long time ago. Looks nice, but I really don't think it performs any better than standard discs for fast road driving. A decent set of pads, steel braided hoses and a good caliper piston overhaul, imo, is probably all you needs for optimal road-going braking.

Tuccy
03-05-2010, 03:09
yeah think i will stick with standard discs now, and decent pads

However while we are on the topic and brake lines came up, Anyone know where to get the braded lines for the williams,

Its just so many people sell them listed for the williams but they end up being the 1.8 16valver ones and too short,

Who actually sells em the right size for the wide track? :idea:

Justin..
03-05-2010, 05:18
use R19 16v ones

stevie_b
03-05-2010, 07:35
You'd probably be fine with all of the above for road use, but don't go for drilled discs if you are planning to use the car hard on track. As for pads, Pagid RS29s are the best I have used to date - not sure if they come in the size for standard Willy calipers though.