PDA

View Full Version : Cam timing help

dkrevs
01-05-2010, 01:17
Friend of mine has a problem. He has a valver with F7P block honed and stroked to F7R size. He brought it like that. Car was really fast. In fact it was as quick as a 182 Clio.
What he didn't know is that cam timing was out of order. Mechanic did a service on his car and he also replaced a timing belt. He normally aligned timing belt marks with those on camshaft sprocket and marks on valve cover(everything was done as it should be). When they started the motor inlet valves were hitting pistons slightly. That should be due very skimmed head(nobody knows exact figures), which means high CR. They made larger "holes" for inlet valves. But car didn't go as good as before. Now engine has altered inlet cam by one teeth. It goes a bit better than it went after service was done, but still not as it was before service.
I know that this is not a lot of information but can anyone tell how much do they alter cam timing if engine is tuned(I know this vary from setup to setup but anyway how much...)? This is for now the main reason for car not being fast as it should. Any other idea? How far can we alter cams(stock pulleys)?

PS: Lets say that cams are stock Williams or Valver, they may be uprated but very little chances of that. Engine is in very good condition.

Wobba
01-05-2010, 11:07
http://www.k-tecracing.com/images/products/clio1/engine/vernier_pulleys_f.jpg

Look at the angles on them. Thats a typical minimum and max for pulleys to be 'out' by compared to standard. Sounds to me like he has aftermarket cams and they have not used standard timing to get them about right, and not used Vernier pulleys, which is the much better option tbh.

dkrevs
01-05-2010, 12:27
Thanks for reply!

Calculated from power to weight ratio, his car should, when propely adjusted cam timing, have around 160HP at flywheel. I don't know if this can be reached with stock Williams cams and high CR. Maybe he has uprated cams but then engine should be even more powerful. Previous owner didn't tell him which mods were done on the engine to produce such power. He told him engine was stock.
Concluding from pictures altering for 2 teeths on stock pulleys would mean from 0 degrees to end of the whole range. So +/- 2 teeths are max. Thanks for help.

robi1000
01-05-2010, 13:05
Dkrevs, I have time today. We can go for a cup of coffee. :)

dkrevs
01-05-2010, 13:08
Heh, no prob Robi. :) PM me for details. 8)