PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid 432's visit to the garage...here we go again!

stelucas
29-04-2010, 12:55
So i need,

Ball joint pinch bolts (may get a pair) Part number anyone?

Discs and pads as the rear ones arn't working apparently.

Rear shockers or torsion bar rubber something something (cant read his writing but the rear shocks are squeeeking when i push down on the car.

Maybe front springs as the ones on the car are held down with zip ties and look a bit short. Not sure if the whole struts need doing.

Need to secure my water pump and welding to sills before next mot.

My exhaust is de-cat, but it looks like the de-cat pipe has thrown off the fitting of the exhaust. There are at least two bushes missing holding it to the body.

I'm wondering if i should just take the exhaust system with the cat off my 16v. I will also need a lamba sensor as the other one is ripped off.

Soooo thats that, plenty of things to do. Anyone want to come to warrington and help me with some stuff? I'll pay you!..

At least it's not a gear box this time :)

Any help is appreciated.

stelucas
29-04-2010, 13:06
Also, when i came to start the car this morning it didnt start and then again coming out the garage. Voltmeter shows only 12v when the battery is on, i believe it should be over 13. Altanator? I've been doing work with the radio on at night...but never for too long. Could this be the cause, do you think a trickle charger would work on the battery? Hmmm

Wobba
29-04-2010, 13:51
So i need,

Ball joint pinch bolts (may get a pair) Part number anyone?

Discs and pads as the rear ones arn't working apparently.

Rear shockers or torsion bar rubber something something (cant read his writing but the rear shocks are squeeeking when i push down on the car.

Maybe front springs as the ones on the car are held down with zip ties and look a bit short. Not sure if the whole struts need doing.

Need to secure my water pump and welding to sills before next mot.

My exhaust is de-cat, but it looks like the de-cat pipe has thrown off the fitting of the exhaust. There are at least two bushes missing holding it to the body.

I'm wondering if i should just take the exhaust system with the cat off my 16v. I will also need a lamba sensor as the other one is ripped off.

Soooo thats that, plenty of things to do. Anyone want to come to warrington and help me with some stuff? I'll pay you!..

At least it's not a gear box this time :)

Any help is appreciated.

Ball joint pinch bolts (may get a pair) Part number anyone? Scrappy £1 or Renault, just call them

Discs and pads as the rear ones arn't working apparently. = Seized calipers or brake bias valve seized in closed position. Can unseize bias valve easy. Seized Calipers mean winding them on and off a lot and/or bleeding brakes/new pads.

Rear shockers or torsion bar rubber something something (cant read his writing but the rear shocks are squeeeking when i push down on the car = COULD be the rubber bushes in the ends of the shock absorbers that bolt onto the chassis. Fun job if you don't know how to do it hehe.

Maybe front springs as the ones on the car are held down with zip ties and look a bit short. Not sure if the whole struts need doing = Thats probably because the springs have either snapped or have been cut to make it lower, the problem with this is when the car goes over bumps it may unseat the springs from their seats. Just get some new springs from GSF -35mm lowering ones should suit? Cheap too.

Need to secure my water pump and welding to sills before next mot = hmmm, I think he means pump is leaking. Pump is cheap, but a shite job, lots of big brackets have to come off to get to it. Sill welding isnt as bad as it sounds, a decent welder can grind back the rust and do it easily and seal it with undercoat.

My exhaust is de-cat, but it looks like the de-cat pipe has thrown off the fitting of the exhaust. There are at least two bushes missing holding it to the body. = Ok, so the mid section hanger is not there. They can be removed, it's two bolts. Sometimes they knock on aftermarket exhausts you see. Rubber exhaut mounts are like £1 each. Just do the other missing one yourself and save money and time and learn something in the process.

I'm wondering if i should just take the exhaust system with the cat off my 16v. I will also need a lamba sensor as the other one is ripped off. Swap downpipe with your valver spare. and plug in lambda. Bosch lambdas are about £60 and a bitch to get off, thats probably why yours is batter to hell and not plugged in (this will also cause shit cold start idle and startup issues).

Wobba
29-04-2010, 13:52
Also, when i came to start the car this morning it didnt start and then again coming out the garage. Voltmeter shows only 12v when the battery is on, i believe it should be over 13. Altanator? I've been doing work with the radio on at night...but never for too long. Could this be the cause, do you think a trickle charger would work on the battery? Hmmm

12.4 v I believe.

stelucas
29-04-2010, 14:07
Thanks Wobs, awesome help. Yeah i think just springs will do too, my uncles mechanic is arsey. And i'm going to live with the squeeky rear shocks for a bit i think. He sprayed some wd40 on the rubber i think cause i cud smell it when i looked a min ago. I've just changed the battery over from the 16v to the williams and it's starting fine for now. Just hope the altanator charges it properly. The volts don't go down when i turn my headlights on or my heating, uncles thinks thats a sign its dying or dead.

He said something about the rear thingies being sizied so hopefully it's just that. Sorry i got it wrong, or he wrote it wrong, cause i think he means the electric water thingy, that black cylinder thing, because it's just rolling round in the engine bay. Haha. I also noticed it didnt have mounts on top of the radiator holding it to the body so i stole these from the 16v too. Got a feeling the 16v is just going to be a shell soon :p My uncle wont fit second hand bolts so it looks like a trip to renault.

I'm having a bad day with the car as for some reason the drivers door now doesnt open from outside. Super...just what i needed.

:)

stelucas
29-04-2010, 14:09
Ohh and it's worth noting the shock itself is red, like the spring. I'm thinking red shocks are probably after market...cant i still fit a diff spring to it? I would like this because at the moment it sits a little too low.

Coops
29-04-2010, 14:44
can fit any spring you need mate no worries, just get a pair as wobb says from gsf

aux water pump, just zip tie it to something, that all mine is held on with, it doesnt really need much just to secure it. it does have a little bracket but it gets removed usually

ball joint pinch bolts? whats wrong with them!!!!! lol! any m10 nut and bolt will do, i just yoinked some stainless ones from work :D best off with shouldered tho so bit through pinch isn’t threaded

Swap rear shocks off the 16v onto the hybrid to check, only 2 bolts per side, piece of proverbial 8)

start issue is probs just battery, see how it goes with that one on now :-)

release all clamps on the exhuast and re seat it on new rubbers, check all clearances to body underneath and reseal joint/tighten to sit it correctly!

what exhaust manifold is on it atm? if its williams cat/decat of the 16v wont fit!

midge
29-04-2010, 15:00
Thats a brand new battery on the car! check your stereo isnt draining it!
The front shocks are apexi iirc so the shorter springs should be ok didnt notice the cable ties myself and im also genuinly shocked about the rear brakes, the car had a fresh mot not long before i bought it!

Coops
29-04-2010, 15:12
oh for rears as wobb says try freeing off the bias valve, then try freeing off the calipers, more likely to be the sliders than the piston itself but could be either.

does the handbrake work?

drivers door, spray a shed load of wd40 into the back of the mechanism in the door where it latches to the peg on cars chassis. then work the handle up and down on the outside for about a fortnight...........well a few times, till it feels to be freeing up

stelucas
29-04-2010, 15:21
Haha don't worry midge, you're probs right about the car stereo, i'm going to take it out. I have been trying to work out why the front left door speaker wasn't working so i've probably left some bare wire somewhere :)

It always started fine, so i can't see it just suddenly happening the week i get the car. Though with my luck!

Ta Coops, yeh i'll secure the pump myself. And one of the pinch bolts is missing a head so i thought i'd raplace both while i'm at it. Is there any need? He's funny about bolts so if i take anything that isn't renault he'll probably hit me.

Front shocks sound ok then, i'll just shove some new springs in there that arn't too short. When i say i will, i mean maybe you will coops :)

I'm pretty sure it's a 16v manifold.

And when you say swap the rear shocks...i really don't know how to do that. I will do my best to find out.

Think i could do all this for pretty cheap then? I'll just hire you for the day Ben. I'll drive to you, then i'll take the turbo as a curtesy car :D haha. You can fix my rear break while your at it!

Problem with all this is a don't have anywhere to work really, i can't find my axcel stands either. Poop.

My sills are pretty bad too, ill have to get them done before the next MOT. 100 quid a sill he says. Hm.

I don't know what a bias valve is, and yeh the handbrake is fine.

Coops
29-04-2010, 15:25
if handbrake is fine then discs and pads are working fine, so more than likely its the bias valve as unusualy for both calipers to seize suddenly at once if it passed mot recently.

just read advert, it is a 16v manifold so can easily just nick the downpipe with working lambda off the 1.8 and slap it on the hybrid when re-doing exhaust, seemples

i dont mind doing the work for you mate for a small fee ;-) but it depends how much of a rush your in as am busy this weekend, stag doo in budapest!!!woop woop!

alas turbo is not available for its normal curtosy car duties, its in bodyshop :wink:

Coops
29-04-2010, 15:26
oh and if pinch bolt is missing a head, yes i would get it sorted, sounds like it could be stuck in there tho which is a pain, like someones tried to remove it and snapped the head off, and given up, any knocks from that side at the front? like a worn ball joint?

stelucas
29-04-2010, 15:42
I'm in no real rush and i was jokin about the turbo. Small fees are better than large fees! Budapest? Jebus...alright for some :) That's good news about the 16v manifold then.

I'll feel bad if i don't get something done at my uncles garage cause he's spent time lookin at my cars.

Yeh he said the bolt would just bang out of there though...and no, no odd knocks or anything, ball joint looks ok.

He wants 100 for discs and pads...surely i can get that done cheaper? Thats just fitting, no parts.

Coops
29-04-2010, 15:54
fappin hell, thats at a family garage?!!!! takes minutes to do rear discs and pads if the bearings etc are already pressed in. as said tho i doubt thats the issue and if it is i have decent second hand discs and new pads you can buy off me, along with williams rear shockers if needed and sure i can rustle up some ball joint bolts for you as well

i'm back home weekend following this one, 8/9th may so can have a crack then if you like, ring me one night next week if you like and can have a run through what you want/need and we'll sort something :D

stelucas
29-04-2010, 16:09
Yeah, he is a recovery expert and just has a garage on the side. I don't like his mechanic and to be honest i'm not sure they want to do all these little jobs on my car...alls he does when im there is recommend i buy a nice modern car.

You're a pal coops, i'll send you a text next week and we can get something sorted. I'll buy some springs to start with...

16v_paddy
29-04-2010, 16:18
Yeah, he is a recovery expert and just has a garage on the side. I don't like his mechanic and to be honest i'm not sure they want to do all these little jobs on my car...alls he does when im there is recommend i buy a nice modern car.

Typical clueless wanker then :roll: tell him modern cars are ****ing boring & he hasn't got a clue what he's on about :evil:

stelucas
29-04-2010, 16:24
Yeah it's handy that he spotted the snapped bolt and the other stuff, he does this very quick and seems to know his stuff. It's just i don't think he knows much about my car specifically. He probs just likes the easy money jobs like changing tyres and stuff. My project doesn't float his boat i guess. Oh well! No money for him :)

Coops
29-04-2010, 16:39
no danger mate, if we're swapping springs personally i'd get hold of top mount bearing and rubber kit for both sides as well if shocker assembly is being split apart anyway, good practice to swap all you can while you can.GSF should be able to sort you with the lot, about 9 quid for each component, you need 2 bearings and 2 rubbers. also if your uncles garage has an impact gun get them to free off the 21mm strut top nuts on the top of the struts under the bonnet as they can seize and be a pain to get off manually :D and also bash that ball joint bolt a bit, see if it is free or not, as again it could be a pain on a driveway to do

stelucas
29-04-2010, 16:50
457RE0050 STRUT TOP BEARING CLIO >98 9.50
457RE0060 STRUT TOP MOUNTING CLIO >98 9.25

2 each of them?

Which springs am i getting?

994RE0030 LOWERING SPRING KIT CLIO 1.8 16V 91> (LOWERS 35mm) 24.00

One of those? Is that for a pair? That's cheap.

Slam
29-04-2010, 18:16
stag doo in budapest!!!

Beautiful whores in Budapest. Expensive (compared to prague). But beautiful.

Coops
29-04-2010, 19:07
stag doo in budapest!!!

Beautiful whores in Budapest. Expensive (compared to prague). But beautiful.

been prague and they were pretty enough :D so all good!

Coops
29-04-2010, 19:09

2 each of them?

thats the springs, not sure if the bearings need to be <98 or >98 but thats the right idea!! :lol:

Slam
29-04-2010, 19:22
haha beautiful in prague too. i saw a midget and nearly actually went for it. didnt have enough pints down me on my "pint meter" though.

Slam
29-04-2010, 19:22
that'd be one to tick off the to do list.

stelucas
29-04-2010, 19:38
How do my posts always end up so off topic. My last one mainly talks about cakes. Post ur own thread perverts!

Coops
29-04-2010, 20:08
i shant be investing in a slut, missus is reading over my shoulder :wink:

Wobba
30-04-2010, 10:10

2 each of them?

Correct. That should be plus VAT though :)

Trouble with boring old shite dampers and springs is you really need to be careful doing them yourself. Firstly, your top mounts will likely be a REAL BITCH to get off without an impact gun hehe. Need an offset 21mm ring spanner and a allan key to fit. Almost broke my thumb and ripped a nail off this week swapping out Leighanne's project Williams ones.Tight as fok they were!

Need to compress the springs before taking apart or potentially kill yourself (I am not kidding) or suffer serious injury. If in doubt, garage time!

As for space and no where to do any work, well I guess you park the car at home right? Flat surface? That's the space you need :)

I felt a bit odd at first ripping my car to bits whilst living in central Southampton, surrounded by all these people with flash new motors (that suck). People would pass by staring at what I was doing, but after a while...made me feel good to be doing quite complex stuff and a lot of folk would stop and have a good old chat! Including some seriously hot totty :D And people often came over asking me to adjust their bike or fix their car, quite good for the community I reckon!

Ben mentions the bias valve as I did earlier, you need to understand the principal of what its for and how it works before messing about with it...its simple really, as the car tilts forwards under braking (thus making the rear end very light and prone to losing traction) the bias valve is pulled closed to stop you locking the rear brakes. There is a piston inside that either allows or stops the flow/pressure from your pressing the brake pedal. In your case, it may well be that the bias valve has seized closed and so your rear brakes are inoperative. This wont affect the action of the handbrake, as handbrake uses a cable and not hydraulics to move the rear calipers.

Coops
30-04-2010, 10:24
bias valve? understand? bollox :wink: just mole grip it and wiggle with back and forth with lots of wd40 till it moves :D :lol:

don't worry young Dan, i will lead mr lucas in the correct direction next weekend, i've already advised him to get a garage to free off the 21mm strut top nuts as they are a right bitch sometimes and even swan neck and alan key may not shift, risk i'm not willing to take :wink: then we'll crack on and sort it!

Wobba
30-04-2010, 10:41
bias valve? understand? bollox :wink: just mole grip it and wiggle with back and forth with lots of wd40 till it moves :D :lol:

don't worry young Dan, i will lead mr lucas in the correct direction next weekend, i've already advised him to get a garage to free off the 21mm strut top nuts as they are a right bitch sometimes and even swan neck and alan key may not shift, risk i'm not willing to take :wink: then we'll crack on and sort it!

Well, now if he reads my educational text he WILL understand what it does now wont he!! 'Young Dan'. Loving it, keep it up :D

stelucas
30-04-2010, 16:03
That's ace. The info. I get it now. My car is still starting.today so its not too bad. I'm wondering how easy it is to take the manifold and downpipe off the valver. Ideally is like to sell that as soon as possible because my neighbours are probably peist at me. Just sans know what I need from it before I sell it :)

Smokey McPot
04-05-2010, 11:39
Are the bushes common to the R19 16V's and Williams? Being that they share some suspension parts?

I'm getting mine changed and I thought it might be worth investigating.

16v_paddy
04-05-2010, 11:49
. People would pass by staring at what I was doing, but after a while...made me feel good to be doing quite complex stuff and a lot of folk would stop and have a good old chat! Including some seriously hot totty :D And people often came over asking me to adjust their bike or fix their car, quite good for the community I reckon!

I get much of the same when pissing about with mine :D This is especially good having a clio V6 on the drive as it gives me the chance to point out the general gheyness of Mk2 clios, (especially silly plastic bodykitted heaps driven by people that need to show off to compensate for other things :wink:) and show them (with my very capable hands :wink:) how & why the humble mk1's & their drivers are so much better

LEIGH-ANNE
04-05-2010, 12:09
Including some seriously hot totty :D

Sorry for putting you off :lol: .....again

Wobba
04-05-2010, 13:43
Including some seriously hot totty :D

Sorry for putting you off :lol: .....again

You're going to get a spank young Missy! No more low slung tops and bending down to 'check the dogbone' and stuff please!!!! Men at work here!!!

stelucas
04-05-2010, 14:49
Anywwayyy....

Took the altinator off the valver to replace with one on the hybrid cause it wasnt starting properly. So thats getting sorted tomorow, still need the pinch bolts. Don't know what else i'll get done. Can't put the cat in cause its still on the valver and i think me an coops will do the other stuff over the weekend. Found an impact gun in my garage though which is handy. Only a cig lighter powered thing but it's pretty powerful.

stelucas
04-05-2010, 14:51
I'll post a project thread soon.

Coops
04-05-2010, 15:27
dude, i'm back friday evening, so bright and early saturday if you like ;-)

got my number so give us a bell friday night or something! :D

stelucas
04-05-2010, 15:39
Yeah deal...i'll send u a text or something. I'm in work every night this week. Not got my springs yet. GSF stuff usually quick to arrive? You comin to mine or am i goin yours?

Wobba
04-05-2010, 15:41
GSF usually have the stuff next day in my experience. Also, we get a 10% discount. You may have to email them if you did the order online, there is a chap who is head of online sales. He refunded me about £100 last time :)

Coops
04-05-2010, 16:22
mine mate, i got stuff to do on the williams i killed aswell, got to finish stripping it and scrap shell. when u txt friday i'll txt back address ;-)