PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure when (quite) hot

djtlane
28-04-2010, 20:41
When your pride and joy is hot form a though spanking what is the average oil pressure on tick over ? My pressure is strong when the oil is cold. Or is it just because these engines run on a synthetic that is relatively thin ?

snowman
28-04-2010, 20:51
Mine was running 1bar in heavy traffic on way home tonight at 85/90 deg

on m way the other day it was running 4bar at 100deg

seems to change its mind from one day to the next

snowman
28-04-2010, 20:52
^^ but 1bar on tickover

Coops
28-04-2010, 21:49
turbo has been steadily dropping off over the last 2 years :lol: it sits at about 2/3 of a bar on jam hot idle, 3 bar cold start idle

vkosho
28-04-2010, 23:18
I have 2bar on cold idle and 0 on hot.

As for driving. Ive seen it hit 4bar at 4k when coldish, and about 2 at 4k when hot.

Dunno if its the guage or the engine, Seems to run totaly fine tho with good oil temp 90-100max.

Use a propper pressure guage to measure the pressure if you can have one you will probably find it to be higher than what the car guage is saying. Total bitch to plumb one in though due to the location of the oil sensors.

Wobba
29-04-2010, 14:02
From memory I think my car sits at about 4 bar at cold, used to be 5!

It's usually 3-4 bar when driving about briskly when hot and a low of 1 bar when hot and idling. Cant remember though as its been ages since I drove my car, and with a Mocal oil cooler it may change again.

dhay14
29-04-2010, 16:50
i have 3 to 4 bar at cold idle and 0 when at hot idle with the turbo

diditno
29-04-2010, 17:27
mine sits at 0 when hot, 2/3 cold just wondering if its worth changing the sensor, or is it the gauge thats knakered. i know they are not very acccurate, it just bugs me.

Willy2l
29-04-2010, 18:27
From memory I think my car sits at about 4 bar at cold, used to be 5!

It's usually 3-4 bar when driving about briskly when hot and a low of 1 bar when hot and idling. Cant remember though as its been ages since I drove my car, and with a Mocal oil cooler it may change again.

More or less the same than Wobba!!!! I think some of your engines are running with a quite low oil pressure. 0 bar when iddling....means no presure!!!

I have a mate with a williams and his car gets the same as mine. It could be due to the oil, I use castrol edge 10-60 (spain is hotter than England)

vkosho
29-04-2010, 21:33
Ive seen some run 6 bar though. The Dials are rubbish.

Mine runs fine. 10.40 oil with renault filter so it clearly has pressure.

Willy2l
30-04-2010, 08:15
Hi vkosho,

I think my dial works fine, depending on the oil I use it shows different lectures.
My engine run a very good presure with the elf systesis (long time ago). Then, the elf guys change the oil, it was still called systesis and showed the same properties but the oil was completely diferent (diferent color, diferent texture, and no presure. And the car drank it as gas; incredibly bad)
Then I changed to Movil1, better but not as good as the first syntesis.
And finally I got castrol, it works very well although in this car not as good as that first elf syntesis.

Thatīs why I think almost my dials work fine. It shows different lectures according to the oil.

I saw a 16v with a nearly 0 bar lecture, the guy changed to a different oil and he got more presure.
Have you checked if somebody else is using this same oil and gets the same lecture??

cheers!!

Wobba
30-04-2010, 10:35
Hi vkosho,

I think my dial works fine, depending on the oil I use it shows different lectures.
My engine run a very good presure with the elf systesis (long time ago). Then, the elf guys change the oil, it was still called systesis and showed the same properties but the oil was completely diferent (diferent color, diferent texture, and no presure. And the car drank it as gas; incredibly bad)
Then I changed to Movil1, better but not as good as the first syntesis.
And finally I got castrol, it works very well although in this car not as good as that first elf syntesis.

Thatīs why I think almost my dials work fine. It shows different lectures according to the oil.

I saw a 16v with a nearly 0 bar lecture, the guy changed to a different oil and he got more presure.
Have you checked if somebody else is using this same oil and gets the same lecture??

cheers!!

Willy2l: The word 'lecture' should be 'pressure'. The word 'lecture' means something like 'to teach using semantics' hehe, so you are saying we give our oil a damn good talking too! That'll learn it! :D

I do think that a car with 0 oil pressure is a sign of a worn engine. The answer is a bottom end rebuild. Both my Clio's with 0 pressure when hot went bang for oil and temperature related issues. They can of course go on for years like this but if you start really testing it at track days it wont last long.

Different thickness oil WILL make a difference as do some oil filters.

Willy2l
30-04-2010, 12:42
Thanks Wobba;

Thanks for yor help!! :P The word pressure fits perfectly, but I really meant "reading" , the information the dial takes from the oil pressure sensor. But itīs ok, pressure is suitable too.
Sorry if I make any mistake :oops:

You have talked about different oil filters, I have always used the one sold in renault. And the last one was different, a bit smaller. I asked in renault and they told me it is the one wich appears in the dialogist.
Since that moment the tappets noise has increased, they donīt always sound, it deppends on the day. but it does it more frequently after this last oil change.
which different oil filters do you use??why??

Thanks!!

vkosho
01-05-2010, 03:38
Using mobil 1 super s at the mo.

Alass my engine is deffinatly worn though and I want to rebuild it but funds are completely dire right now. :(

Wobba
01-05-2010, 10:39

Alass my engine is deffinatly worn though and I want to rebuild it but funds are completely dire right now. :(

Just drive it like you stole it, it will be fine, or it will blow up. Can't do much about that without spending loads of cash :)

Willy2l: Yea no problem hehe. 'Reading' works too!

Renault changed the standard oil filter used for the F7R engine from one which has a denser filter to the one they do now, which is now the standard filter they use across the Mark1 Clio range :( It works fine, but you will see a slight pressure drop from the old Williams OE filter.

Currently I am using a Pipercross filter. I was told they had a hex nut on the end to assist with filter removal, as they can be hard to get off sometimes, and Iw as told they gave slight pressure increase. Neither is true. I had no ex nut and my hot idle pressure dropped by about 0.2 bar straight away.

vkosho
01-05-2010, 23:34

Just drive it like you stole it, it will be fine, or it will blow up. Can't do much about that without spending loads of cash :)

Willy2l: Yea no problem hehe. 'Reading' works too!

Renault changed the standard oil filter used for the F7R engine from one which has a denser filter to the one they do now, which is now the standard filter they use across the Mark1 Clio range :( It works fine, but you will see a slight pressure drop from the old Williams OE filter.

Currently I am using a Pipercross filter. I was told they had a hex nut on the end to assist with filter removal, as they can be hard to get off sometimes, and Iw as told they gave slight pressure increase. Neither is true. I had no ex nut and my hot idle pressure dropped by about 0.2 bar straight away.

I do thanks! Im waiting for problems to start again as its been far to problem free for too long. :D