PDA

View Full Version : Standard Cobra alarm trouble

smokeybone
28-04-2010, 16:30
Well seems the clio has started to play up with me already.
Got in the car this morning for work and it wouldnt turn over, the alarm fob was working the doors and the little led was flashing which normally means the immobilisor isnt active, but it wasnt bringing the fuel pump in and the starter wouldnt turn. After removing the battery lead for half an hour it finally started and off to work i went.

Come out of work this afternoon and had the same problem again?? Has anyone else had this problem or has anyone else removed the standard alarm, if so how much trouble was it? Really need to get this sorted as i dont was to get stranded somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any replys

LEIGH-ANNE
28-04-2010, 17:31
I had this problem with my standard cobra.

I was about 10 miles from home at 2am... Would let me drive for max 1min then had to wait 20min to re start - why it did this was beyond me...not a clue...u can imagine wot time i got in :cry:

I ripped it all out and got a new Autowatch alarm put in. Its a pain ripping it all out but solved a big problem so was worth it. These cobras seem to just go whenever they feel like it for some reason...

smokeybone
28-04-2010, 19:45

I was about 10 miles from home at 2am... Would let me drive for max 1min then had to wait 20min to re start - why it did this was beyond me...not a clue...u can imagine wot time i got in :cry:

I ripped it all out and got a new Autowatch alarm put in. Its a pain ripping it all out but solved a big problem so was worth it. These cobras seem to just go whenever they feel like it for some reason...

Thats what i dont need is to be stuck out somewhere at a silly hour or not be able to get to work. How do you rate the Autowatch alarm, is there any reason you went for that alarm?

LEIGH-ANNE
28-04-2010, 20:52
I originally went for the Toad ai606 (iirc) I knew the company i went too and they told me id have to wait for the toad....why not go for the Autowatch which is a similar brand (reputation wise) And the autowatch came out more expensive tbh, but they ended up charging me the same price anyhow as i knew them. Good times.

No faults with it from my point of view love it to bits. I since bought a willy 1 which has a toad Ai606 and cant fault that either, both do their job well.

djtlane
28-04-2010, 21:10
I have laserline on mine and it drives me mad :lock:

smokeybone
28-04-2010, 21:16
I have laserline on mine and it drives me mad :lock:

Had a lazerline on my old astra gsi and that drove me mad :lol:

Think i will have a look at the one Leigh-Anne has on hers, failing that i will be a toad

vkosho
28-04-2010, 23:25
Ive had seriously annoying problems with my toad immobiliser very similar to yourself.

It seems to happen every few months always at the worst possible time. Like when in a que to drive into FCS for example.
Usualy when the engine is hot and been stopped for a few mins i.e for fuel etc, the imo kicks in and the car wont start for 20 minutes.

I was wondering if it might be an ECU or a key fault, but because its so rarely a problem ive never got round to sorting it.

I think im gonna change the system when i eventualy get a new alarm put in. Sorry i cant offer any help but at least you know its a problem that others have dealt with.

Anyone reckon possible ecu imob fault???

LEIGH-ANNE
29-04-2010, 08:49
Any chance your ecu could have got wet? Is it all packaged in the way it should??

Wobba
29-04-2010, 12:28

lol...Seem to remember following you in 0217, watching you break down every quarter mile lolololooll :wink:

smokeybone
01-05-2010, 18:13
A little update on this, had the standard cobra alarm removed today, by a chap that used to work for my local renault dealer much to my surprise the fooking car is still doing the same thing ](*,)

Where is the standard immobilisor is it in the ecu? If so how do i go about removing it? Is it the case of getting another ecu?

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys seem to know your stuff everyone else i ask is just guessing

vkosho
01-05-2010, 20:21
standard immobiliser is a software one built into the ecu. Have you checked for any moisture damage?

I dont think you can change them over.

smokeybone
01-05-2010, 21:31
standard immobiliser is a software one built into the ecu. Have you checked for any moisture damage?

I dont think you can change them over.

I havent checked for moisture as it kept in a dry garage for the last couple of months and the ecu is still in its protective cover.

car is really starting to annoy me now, I have heard of people using phase1 valver ecus with a chip in them, would that cure the problem?

vkosho
01-05-2010, 23:28
yeh i believe you can get phase 1 valver ecus without immobilisers and obv using a different chip with the correct williams map should work fine.

This is providing its the standard ecu immob thats causing your problem.

Could do with an electronics expert to shed some light tbh.

smokeybone
14-05-2010, 21:31
Havent updated this for a while as my car has been in being painted, hoping to have it back by the middle of next week. Problem is i still havent sorted my non starting problem.

I can get my hands on another williams ecu that i know to be in good working order, would it be the case of a straight swap and everything will work as it should?

vkosho
14-05-2010, 21:36
yeh will swap straight in. Let us know how you get on.

smokeybone
27-05-2010, 07:31
Well i finally got my williams back from being painted last night after weeks of waiting around, managed to fit the new ecu and havent had a problem with it since. Hopefully that is cured now, so it time to sit back and wait for the next fault. :lol: