PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pedal 'clicking'

CW3
27-04-2010, 10:39
Hi all

I'm new to the site and I have a slight problem with my Williams 3 :(

I've done a search but can't seem to find the answer so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out :)

The clutch pedal makes a clicking noise and then drops to the floor, it comes back up again immediately but it's done this around 5 times in the last few weeks :shock:

I know the ratchet self adjusts, but surely it shouldn't be doing it this much?

Do I need to fit a new ratchet? (I hope not as I'm sure it'll be a back ache of a job)!

Thanks in advance :)

Coops
27-04-2010, 12:50
sounds like either the clutch cable is snapping strand by strand (had this exact symptom on my old valver and after about 5 or 6 times the cable eventually snapped, upon investigation turned out each time the pedal dropped to floor and clicked a strand in the cable was snapping!)

or as you predict, the ratchet mechanism is fubar, this is a ball ache to swap, cheap enough for the parts really but just very fiddly to do allegedly, never had to do one touch wood myself

CW3
28-04-2010, 09:23
Thanks for the reply :)

I'll have to take the drivers seat out and crawl under the pedal box to have a look!

If I was going to do the job I'd probably take out the pedal box to do it as it'll probably be easier, has anyone ever done it like that before?

Coops
28-04-2010, 09:35
not sure tbh mate, spose you could but fiddly to disconnect master cylinder etc with engine in

Willy2l
29-04-2010, 08:09
it happened to me several times, the clutch cable broke after these symptoms ( in fact 6 cables). The mechanic told me it could be that the clutch was hard, because you have to step the pedal very strongly (more than usual).
I couldnīt believe that because I have a friend with a williams and same kilometres than mine and he hadnīt got that problem.

I changed the whole pedal because I thought it could be something wrong there (ratchet or any kind of roominess because there were sometimes a similar click but without dropping to the floor and it could make the cable broke)
But in few months it broke again and I decided to change the clutch.
Since then the pedal is softer and no problem (and of course no noise)

The problem is that we get used to the hardness little by little and we donīt realise how hard it is.
At he begining the cable broke once a year, the last two in the same year. So I followed the mechanic advice.

I hope it helps!!

bradders
01-05-2010, 22:40
it happened to me several times, the clutch cable broke after these symptoms ( in fact 6 cables). The mechanic told me it could be that the clutch was hard, because you have to step the pedal very strongly (more than usual).
I couldnīt believe that because I have a friend with a williams and same kilometres than mine and he hadnīt got that problem.

I changed the whole pedal because I thought it could be something wrong there (ratchet or any kind of roominess because there were sometimes a similar click but without dropping to the floor and it could make the cable broke)
But in few months it broke again and I decided to change the clutch.
Since then the pedal is softer and no problem (and of course no noise)

The problem is that we get used to the hardness little by little and we donīt realise how hard it is.
At he begining the cable broke once a year, the last two in the same year. So I followed the mechanic advice.

I hope it helps!!

I have had the exact same scenario happen to me as this guy :P

I'm currently having a new clutch fitted

Daz.
02-05-2010, 11:24
I changed the clutch, pedal and cable - it was a fooking dream after that.

schakal
04-05-2010, 13:13
and if you do need a clutch ratchet kit ,now you know where
to find it :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280502140922

CW3
04-05-2010, 17:52

That's cool mate but I'm sure they're only Ģ15 from Renault :?

schakal
04-05-2010, 20:51

That's cool mate but I'm sure they're only Ģ15 from Renault :?

i dont think renault even does them without the pedal which
costs a fortune as allready mentioned . that was the case when i looked
last time .
but yeah fair enough ,go with renault for Ģ15 ,i would :D