PDA

View Full Version : fed up....glimpse of magic....fed up

diathermy
22-04-2010, 21:34
Hi guys,

Been a while since I have been on here.

In all honesty lost enthusaism with the willy.

Since I changed the alternator in september, its had a squeak as I did not manage to adjust the tensioner at the time. It was one of those jobs that I always meant to get round to, but never did. Partly becuase it has been so cold over winter.

Anyway it also needs new wishbones and tie rods etc as I has a small knock in the ice. I bought them with the intention of doing it myself, but I have not had time.

also need 4 new tyres as they are all random! with 205s on the back!

So was close to selling it. some guy offered me a good price but never came up with the money.

So today, I cleaned the interior and felt the magic of the williams again.

Went for a short trip to the shops and the squeak stopped on the way. The batt light came on. I thought the aux belt probably snapped and that was not too much of a problem. But then the water temp was going up and up and up. essentially it was overhheating.

when I opened the bonnet the header tank had boiling water coming out of it!

I let it cool down for a bit and risked the journey back home. I put the heater on full, but air was cold.

Got home parked up, opened bonnet....a few hours later engine still hot.

One good thing....I know the fan works!

So, I assume the water pump has gone. Is that the case?

If so, will do cam belt at the same time. Serivce too. Tyres too. So i wil, end up putting in about 600 pounds min. I will not get any of that bag, so may as well keep it!

Means I may end up doing some track days as I initially intended when i initially bought it.

anyway, sorry for the rant...but I guess all williams owners do it at some time or another!

diathermy
22-04-2010, 21:36
ohhh by the way, the aux belt had come off and has a small tear in it.

Do you guys think that had anything to do with the overheating.

I do not think so....but like to see what you guys think

richy
22-04-2010, 21:40
the water pump is driven by the aux belt mate, so will def be that which caused the overheating, get a new belt on it and give it a good checking over, hopefully no damage was done

Wobba
22-04-2010, 21:49
How hot did it get?

Check for mayo in the oil filler cap...

Easy jobs really, ought to have just fixed em by now, otherwise your bound to lose enthusiasm, and if you don't fix problems, it's gonna go bang. Simples.

FATBOY
22-04-2010, 21:55
i know the feeling your having. my alternator went twice!!!!! and just managed to get it done(by myself which is an acheivement) its just sitting in the garage now until next month(tax). but ive been concentraing all my time and effort on my new project which is 90% complete... the williams shall return for a bit of the summer....

diathermy
22-04-2010, 21:58
Hi guys,

Thanks for quick response. and the telling off wobba!

Thats great to know that the aux belt drives the pump. Will get a new one tommorrow and this time buy the tensioner allan bit and do it properly....i feel the enthusiam comin back!

Coops
22-04-2010, 22:03
good lad

crack out the spanners, sort the issues and crack onto a decent road, feel it all come flooding back!

bar a couple of dodgy ball joints and a split coolant hose both mine are running spot on atm, and i'm loving it!!!!! :D

Wobba
22-04-2010, 22:16
Yep, get the handling sorted and belt, then assuming you've not warped the head get on a B-road and spank the shit out of it. Coops is right.

ThRaXaIR
22-04-2010, 22:18
mines got incontinence as of 2 weeks ago. its just the things we have to go through! chin up! :D

diathermy
22-04-2010, 23:08
wobba....what do you mean by warped head?

got me worried.

HG is intact. no mayo in the header tank.

vkosho
23-04-2010, 00:31
If you seriously overheat an engine the cylinder head will warp or change shape meaning its mating surface with the block isn't flat. This would require machining or skimming to put right and basically an expensive strip down. Sounds like its ok though if your head gasket is alright. Just keep an eye on things and be carefull in the future as you may have been quite lucky.

As for redescovering the love. Dunno where your based but if your anywhere near wales then go there and maybe to the evo triangle. Gotta be the best roads in the UK in my opinion.

diathermy
23-04-2010, 09:26
Hi mate, I am in leeds, not too far from you.

Will hopefully have the car sorted by next month.

Will head for the triangle in June hopefully