PDA

View Full Version : problems starting willy 2

robbo
22-04-2010, 10:17
hi there my williams has just started to not start unless you crack it for a few seconds with the throttle held open.can hear fuel pump prime.it's only started to do it since i sprayed the aux belt with wd40 to stop it squecking but that couldnt have done something?
was only serviced with new plugs,leads,coolent,oil,'m/s' fuel pump 250 miles ago and has been ok until know.
any ideas of stuff to check any problems?would be appreciated andy

Wobba
22-04-2010, 11:32
Never spray the aux belt with WD40 for a start!

Holding throttle open to start engine is only done with engines that have been flooded (and I guess to 'trick' an ECU due to faulty sensor).

So....either the engine is becoming flooded for some reason, or your TPS is playing up or something.

If you drive the car for a while so it gets warmed up, then turn it off, then restart after a minute does it happen then as well?

Coops
22-04-2010, 12:47
wd40 on aux belt is fine, been doing it for years good sir dan, thats all belt dressing is :P

Wobba
22-04-2010, 13:56
wd40 on aux belt is fine, been doing it for years good sir dan, thats all belt dressing is :P

What, ON the belt itself? Thats probably WHY it squeals lol

Pulleys, fine. But belt? NOoooooo...

Coops
22-04-2010, 14:10
:lol: try it mr Dan, it stopped the squeal on my old williams 1 for months, where as with belt dressing had to re-apply every 5 mins, useless stuff :wink:

robbo
22-04-2010, 14:57
yes does it when warm too,when i took the old plugs out they were black so it is over fueling,would the tps cause it to do this?car doent seem to pull quite aswell either
called renault and they want £165 for a new one! :shock: and apparently they got a special tool to check it's set in the right position?
just looked at the one on there does look a little tatty can see the ends of the wires and couple strands are broken...

Coops
22-04-2010, 15:37
get a throttle body off mat brown with one on it that he knows is good

can easily check position, if car doesnt idle at 950 its wrong :lol:

Wobba
22-04-2010, 16:30
:lol: try it mr Dan, it stopped the squeal on my old williams 1 for months, where as with belt dressing had to re-apply every 5 mins, useless stuff :wink:

Why put it on the belt though? It slips! Just tighten it you lazy bugger :D

OP: yea, get a whole TB with TPS and refit.

robbo
22-04-2010, 19:23
ideal will see if that sorts it out cheers for the advice