PDA

View Full Version : 2.1 liter conversion.

edde
25-07-2005, 20:50
Has only looked into this.

Since the bottom end of my engine isnt in the best of conditions and the top's had so much work done on it it seems a shame not to replace it to get the full potential out of it.

Since I'm looking at a Megan bottom end. Since I don't want to go sticking a bad bottom end on it I'd possibly end up rebuilding its bearings etc and so I'm thinking about sticking just bigger pistons in which is enought I belive to take it to 2.1 liters without touching the rest of the stuff. Plus new pistons would be lighter so not as much worry about running 7.2k on the engine. Plus it would help bring the 5k kick down to 4.75k I think which would be nice.

The one possible probelm is injectors a 2.1 liter with 270 cams head work, new manfold (if it ever comes to fuititon),different exhaust manifold decat, exhaust and ITG should take it to 195hp. 200 is the limit of the injectors I think and I want some spare. Do the Renault 21 turbo injectors fit for that bit extra flow?

Fred
25-07-2005, 23:15
pico 043's from GDI run upto 75bhp each (042's run 52.5bhp each)

they're not that expensive

i'd go meggy bottom end with possible BB grp A willy pistons (but check the valve clearance first!!!)

u33db
25-07-2005, 23:48
Prima did/do the 2.1 conversion...i beleive the main issue is that as the capacity increases the headgasket becomes a weak point do to the smaller amount of material between pistons. IIRC this was one of the problems that caused their TB 16v to go bang wherby it then went to Hillpower to be sorted out properly...

edde
26-07-2005, 00:09
pico 043's from GDI run upto 75bhp each (042's run 52.5bhp each)

they're not that expensive

i'd go meggy bottom end with possible BB grp A willy pistons (but check the valve clearance first!!!)
Are they the injectors the T/B 2.0 Clio and Roamer use/used?
I cannot (no upprise find any note of those pistons are they just for the higher CR (and better built) rarther than the incrased bored.
Any idea how much extra I could expec. No use paying a fortune if I'll see only a few hp.

clowo16v
26-07-2005, 13:38
I doubt u'd see much increase in power. I would've thought torque would go up a bit.

I don't know if this comparison will work, but when i've built Ford Pintos in the past a 2.1 conversion usually only gains about 5bhp, but it's cheaper to overbore the Pinto than it is to do a F7R so i've always done it.

See ya

Matt

stan
26-07-2005, 18:44
if u increase torque, power is naturally increased since it is a product of engine speed and torque

the comments on head gaskets are correct...worth looking into...

if u fit forged pistons they will be undoubtadly lighter, so u will need to lighten the crank to suit

edde
26-07-2005, 23:18
if u increase torque, power is naturally increased since it is a product of engine speed and torque

the comments on head gaskets are correct...worth looking into...

if u fit forged pistons they will be undoubtadly lighter, so u will need to lighten the crank to suit
ANy direa on prices.
I was expecting pistons for £400 then rework of the block for £150 then seals etc arn't going to be much off the price of normal ones.
Its either 2.1 or a megan bottom end or maybe a 172 engine and box for more power/ reliability.

BenR
27-07-2005, 00:16
Unless you do it all yourself, a properly toleranced, honed (be suprised how many people who 'hone' cant hone anywhere near decently) and geometrically straight short motor will set you back about a grand, including parts......not including labour for actual engine installation etc.

edde
27-07-2005, 00:20
Unless you do it all yourself, a properly toleranced, honed (be suprised how many people who 'hone' cant hone anywhere near decently) and geometrically straight short motor will set you back about a grand, including parts......not including labour for actual engine installation etc.
Owch was hoping more like 1/2 that price.
ANy news of that new manifold you were working on as I thought that was supposed to be a good item to throw at the engine (and with the way I feel at the moment it would be thrown).

BenR
27-07-2005, 00:55
Manifold for the F7R is cancelled, there is no market for such an extreem peice of kit and its price tag.

£500 would barely pay for pistons!

You's still need align hone mains, then overbore, check cylinder for out of roundness and taper, hone to 1 thou under, check again, hone final thou out with spot on hatch pattern and depth........each cylinder done for a matching piston (not all pistons come equal from the factory).

Then dry build to check bearing clearances and deck height to check if it needs altering, calc CR etc etc etc.

Then final wet build.

So, there is a good amount of work in there to do it spot on.

However, you could probably pay someone about £600 to slap something together.

Fred
28-07-2005, 02:17
now you're just showing off

Nick Hill
08-08-2005, 11:49
I personally would not recommend boring the 2.0l engine out to 2.1. The engine that we had in our workshop to correct gave us no end of hassle with the head gasket sealing which in the end we solved by having a one off gasket made. If you are considering high comp forged pistons any way get some for the 2.0l, they are also more readily available.

J o n
08-08-2005, 12:14
edde, unless your going to change a shit load of things I wouldn't bother. forged pistons like you say are £400 delivered, but it's the steel crank and con rods that will absolutely bum you on price... tbh if I were you I'd replace the cams to 260 and I think that would solve the performance issue, 270 is too wild imo, 260 is you limit on these low reving bottom ends.