PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Gasket?

talkingfish
18-04-2010, 17:05
Should there be a gasket between the manifold downpipe and the cat? Just using fire putty at the moment at it keeps blowing.... should a gasket sort it?? Thanks.

MatBrown
18-04-2010, 17:16
That is a problem area as the flanges tend to bend with age and over-tightening, but there should be a gasket there - although the renault one isn't really much good, just a thin piece of tin, i've seen some aftermarket ones that are better as they have a bit more meat on them therefore more chance of sealing.
I always use silicon each side of the gasket as well.
Do not use exhaust paste in front of the cat as this can damage the cat.

Mat.

jw
18-04-2010, 21:12
do you use a special silicone for exhausts?? what type and where from as i have the same problem...

MatBrown
18-04-2010, 21:37
Nothing special, just whatever i have in the tube.
Generally RTV.

Mat.

Wobba
18-04-2010, 22:44
I use high temp silicone. Bolt it in, leave for 24 hours usually depending on outside temperature, then drive car...but I tend to let it have a few runs without high revs in an attempt to let it dry properly and seal before as I don't want to blow the sealant out the sides.

unklesammy
21-04-2010, 18:53
Hi all,

Think I might have the same problem, just happened tonight.
It's blowing at the join between where the 4 pipes go into one and the section that holds the cat.

Can you tell me where I might get a gasket and what the correct name for it is or part number?

Hope it is this as the car is for sale and really can't afford to spend any loot on it! DOH!

Cheers
Sammy

MatBrown
21-04-2010, 20:58
Hi sammy, thats a different joint.
The gasket for there is:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-WILLIAMS-2-0-FRONT-PIPE-TO-MANIFOLD-GASKET_W0QQitemZ170474635654QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27b1148186
But the more common problem in that area is the collar of the downpipe snapping off, so be vary of this.

Mat.

unklesammy
22-04-2010, 07:48
Hi mate

Thanks for that, will get it jacked up today and have a look.

Cheers for the help.

Sammy

talkingfish
22-04-2010, 09:22
Should you use a gasket and the high temp silicone?? I used both and it's still blowing.... how long should you leave the car before starting? A bit hard when it's sitting on ramps not to start it to move it, no?

Also, with the supersprint, how tight should be the flexi be at this point? Don't want to overtighted as this then puts strain on the welds at the manifold I've heard...

Coops
22-04-2010, 12:47
should be able to start it straight away mate

Wobba
22-04-2010, 16:32
should be able to start it straight away mate

I've seen advice that says don't, as it can blow out the fresh sealant through the flanges. I never rev mine if I do start it, I just let it heat the pipes up which encourages it to set.

Coops
22-04-2010, 21:52
i've always been told and always have started it straight away and let it idle, the heat cures the paste

if you use silicone maybe different as that remains felxible, but never used it myself

talkingfish
23-04-2010, 09:30
well I fitted it again last night... loads of silicone this time... started it briefly to get it off the ramps.. quick feel to see if it was blowing and nothing so far.... I will check again tonight after it has had 24 hours to cure.....

unklesammy
23-04-2010, 10:32
Hi sammy, thats a different joint.
The gasket for there is:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-WILLIAMS-2-0-FRONT-PIPE-TO-MANIFOLD-GASKET_W0QQitemZ170474635654QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item27b1148186
But the more common problem in that area is the collar of the downpipe snapping off, so be vary of this.

Mat.

Hi mate,

I've had a look at the car and can't for the life of me find one place where it's blowing.
Been onto Renault to price up the parts, the pipe is £135 + vat, bolts £9 each, springs £3 and Nuts £1.20 each! Robbing gets.
He also said there was no gasket listed for that joint. Not had a chance to take it to bits yet so will see if there is one on it but in the mean time is there anywhere else I might get an after market pipe? Can't afford to pay those prices.!!!!

Cheers
Sammy

MatBrown
23-04-2010, 16:54
You could always just get yours welded back up if it has started to split.

Mat.

Slam
23-04-2010, 17:35
If your wantin a good sealant try something called CT-1. heat resistant up to i dunno you'd have to check. even works under water. its got a "snag list eliminator" apparently.

MatBrown
23-04-2010, 17:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM1FNrwLxZw

Mat.

Slam
23-04-2010, 18:40
not bad eh? been a plumber i use quite alot of the stuff. replaced all the other silicons we were using. cant remember what temperature its resisant to dunno what it would be like.

Gaffa tape and ct-1 (and sometimes sticks) - the ratters n bodgers best friends.

unklesammy
23-04-2010, 20:46
yeap it completely snapped this afternoon and is in 2 pieces now! doh!
Going to take it ti bits in the morning and have a look to see if it's fixable.

Not looking forward to giving Mr Main Dealer £140 of my hard earned!!! argh! AND i don't think there are after market ones avail up here in sunny newcastle! Poo and More poo!!

MatBrown
23-04-2010, 21:03
yeap it completely snapped this afternoon and is in 2 pieces now! doh!
Going to take it ti bits in the morning and have a look to see if it's fixable.

Not looking forward to giving Mr Main Dealer £140 of my hard earned!!! argh! AND i don't think there are after market ones avail up here in sunny newcastle! Poo and More poo!!

This is about your nearest chance of one.
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38655

Mat.

MatBrown
23-04-2010, 21:05
If its any consolation, i only sell them with the manifold for £70, postage would be £15, so its not costing you that much more for the new one.

Mat.

unklesammy
24-04-2010, 19:58
Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated

I've sent him a message, hopefully I'll be able to get one.

Cheers
SAMMY