PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd give garages another chance with minor job

Wobba
18-04-2010, 13:40
So, there I was marvelling at how shagged the front dampers are on Leighannes Willy 1 and I thought I should change them on this lovely April day. Of course, as with most of the fixtures on old cars that have not been worked on, the top mounts are not wanting to come off, so off I go all over the place trying to find a long offset 21mm spanner...no one has one.

My last port of call is Halfords. I ask if they have one. They have a 22mm: 'will this do?' 'No, it's TWENTY ONE I need'. I give up and leave.

Over the road is a tyre place. 'Ahh wonderful, they can impact it off for free probably!' I think, but then pause as that will mean someone unknown who works in a garage touching a Williams...SURELY they can't **** this up?

So anyway, over I go, I have a chat about what I need and why and they oblige, guy takes the car in and I can hear impact gun going off. 'All done' he announces, though I knew he must have had quite a time of it as it took him a whole 5 minutes.

Foolishly, I didn't check. So home I go.

Bonnet up, I use full force trying to get the tops off. He's tightened them up with the same impact gun or not got them off at all.

Motto of this story? You can figure it out yourselves.

LEIGH-ANNE
18-04-2010, 16:39
****in planks!!!

Guessing this was the place next to halfords? Id go bk!

richy
18-04-2010, 18:00
lol

Coops
18-04-2010, 21:45
moral of the story is

check anything you ask do be done, BEFORE you leave ;-)

GavinMccoull
18-04-2010, 23:03
I did these the other week on my willy and had a bit of a job getting the top nut off. Had to use my uber strength and a bar on the allen key :lol: but aye most garages are fools especially if they used an impact gun for the job :roll:

Gav

Wobba
18-04-2010, 23:36
I CAN do it with just brute force but without the 21 mm offset spanner normally used it's bloody hard if they've been stuck on for years.

I've just ordered one on ebay.

There are a couple of garages I trust, but even then I have a hard time handing over my keys, plus they are very expensive.

Coops
18-04-2010, 23:39
i always find the damn alan key socket in the top of the strut just rounds or cracks soon as you put pressure onto the swan neck spanner/counter hold combo :(

strut tops and flippin door pins are the 2 biggest fails in mk 1 clio ownership :evil: :lol:

vkosho
19-04-2010, 00:25
If your replacing the dampers you can just drill them out.

21mm offset spanners are super rare it seems. i tried to borrow one from a few garages to no avail.

rob-legend
19-04-2010, 08:07
I CAN do it with just brute force but without the 21 mm offset spanner normally used it's bloody hard if they've been stuck on for years.

I've just ordered one on ebay.

There are a couple of garages I trust, but even then I have a hard time handing over my keys, plus they are very expensive.

you got a link matey?

Wobba
19-04-2010, 09:31
Just search ebay: 21mm offset spanner

I've had my fill of drilling for the weekend! Spent most of my day off drilling a stupid overtightened/seized bolt off Leighanne's spare car!

MatrixGuy
19-04-2010, 13:02
Oh dear god, what a retard!!

They do look pretty hard to get off!

MatBrown
19-04-2010, 17:23
Never had a problem with them, but then i do have an impact gun. :wink:

Mat.

_PAUL_
19-04-2010, 18:15
As Mat says impact gun does the job.
Picked mine up from Machine Mart for £58 :)