PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

Wobba
05-04-2010, 20:14
Working on Leighanne's Willy 1 today, had the rear wheel off too reset the poor positioning of the rear bumper and put the correct rubber exhaust mounts on, found this:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Leighannes%20Willy/DSCF0377.jpg

The offside rear pad had clearly not been located correctly and has worn very unevenly. Probably been like this for quite some time. I have corrected this and anticipate some fun new brake squealing for a while, but I suspect new pads would be the order of the day right? The discs seem OK, other than the usual grooving. Do they look a bit thin to you guys?

Me being me, I'd replace the whole bloody lot and bearings as well, but just want to get opinions as it's Leighanne's car.

richy
05-04-2010, 20:35
should be able to just fit new pads providing the discs are not below min thickness and obviously in decent condition, no cracks/deep grooves etc etc

Coops
05-04-2010, 22:07
as above, if disc looks good, rock new pads and fit correctly :wink: 8)

HSV166VXR
05-04-2010, 22:18
Brake pad piston side is not located properly. The little nobble on the pad is not sat in the piston correctly.

Wobba
05-04-2010, 22:48
Brake pad piston side is not located properly. The little nobble on the pad is not sat in the piston correctly.

Yes, that's sorted now, but pad is worn unevenly.

LEIGHANNE: Time to get yourself some pads :)

LEIGH-ANNE
05-04-2010, 23:02
I have some pads here dan....ill dig em out tmora :)

northy
06-04-2010, 08:41
i would be more worried about the key & slide pin not being correctly positioned that the bottom of the pads key into

Wobba
06-04-2010, 09:22
I knocked it a bit further in after the pic.

northy
06-04-2010, 10:38
you need to swap both keys over between OS & NS calipers as the pin needs to go up against the bolt side

Wobba
06-04-2010, 11:00
I was going to take it all apart but realising it was due to all be taken apart again anyway for new pads, I didn't bother. The sliding retainer is firmly wedged in there for now, it's not going anywhere!

I keep finding little things like this all over the car, really easy to sort out if someone simply takes the time...clearly previous owners liked short-cuts :roll:

All in all though, apart from bodywork, short throttle cable and a leaking coolant bottle, it's not bad! Pulls well.

jock
06-04-2010, 16:30
What northy said is right wobba, the backing plate on the left hand pad looks warped and this is the one that will fall out and render one of the brake circuits useless.
some of the retainer sliders have holes in each end but the hole at the left hand side needs the spring clip to stop the retainer moving to the right and falling out. when it moves the other way it hits the bolt head and stops but that does not matter as the outer pad should be bolted on.

I suggest you spend 7 quid or whatever on a fitting kit as you get new retainer sliders, anti rattle springs and more importantly new spring clips that are still springy and wont fall out (and save you cleaning the old ones) and it will all move freely for a while again.
I think the caliper setup on these has allways been a pain in the backside and mine allways seem to be binding on after the winter salt. I speak from experience of a pad falling out when my ex was driving, luckily in town not barrelling down the A1!

LEIGH-ANNE
06-04-2010, 17:49
Have been reading, since u posted.

Hoping i dont need new calipers...

Im trying to concentrate on the 2 for now....but obviously will need 276 mechanically sorted as the 2 will be off the road apart from trackdays im hoping...

Dan come to mine after work for the pads...not had a chance to pop over :(

Wobba
06-04-2010, 22:53
Have been reading, since u posted.

Hoping i dont need new calipers...

Im trying to concentrate on the 2 for now....but obviously will need 276 mechanically sorted as the 2 will be off the road apart from trackdays im hoping...

Dan come to mine after work for the pads...not had a chance to pop over :(

Ahh bugger, didn't see this till just now :)

You don't need new callipers!

Braided lines and some carbonne lorraine pads would be good though :wink:

To be honest you don't need much on the 1, just an expansion coolant bottle (it's using Renaults Type D coolant too, you will need some), throttle cable and some pads, maybe a new dogbone and gearbox mount and wishbones if you really want to tighten it up (easy to do, cheap as chips from GSF). Dampers at the front are past there best, but is still consistent in the corners and a right hoot to hack about in :D

Coops
07-04-2010, 13:53
sounds like mine, doesnt need much till you list the 'tired' parts rather than the broken one

but still a giggle to hoon about in! :wink:

Itsme
07-04-2010, 15:46
Told you was good swap throttle cable for pads!!

LEIGH-ANNE
07-04-2010, 15:55
If ur not careful ill come and get my key bk u annoying ****er!!

And besides i have a ton of brake pads already...

Itsme
07-04-2010, 15:56
Thats god then I need a new front set again good ones though

LEIGH-ANNE
07-04-2010, 16:00
jog the **** on boyo

Wobba
07-04-2010, 16:28
Told you was good swap throttle cable for pads!!

Hahahahahaha!! :D