PDA

View Full Version : Cost to replacement sills & 1/4 panels

willy337
31-03-2010, 15:35
Hi guys,

I've had my clio garaged for the last couple of years and now want to restore it to its former glory. The sills and quarter panels really need replacing and I want to give it a full respray too. I'm in Huddersfield and need to know if anybody has had this done locally. I want to make sure its done right and looks spot on after. Can anyone offer any help?

TIA :)

northy
31-03-2010, 16:05
Hello and welcome

Do you have any pictures of your car ?

Coops
31-03-2010, 16:08
welcome

full respray isn't cheap for a proper job and to be fair any quotes under about 2 grand for new sills/arches and and respray wouldn't be worth it as the workmanship is likely to be poor and corners will be cut.

me and a lad called Darren (talkingfish on the forum) have both used a bodyshop in Alfreton near junction 28 of the m1 and the workmanship is bob on 8)

willy337
31-03-2010, 16:10
Hi Northy.

Man its been a long time. How the devil are ya? Yep i'm getting the noise maker back up and running again. I've got the battery charged so will try and take some pictures tonight / tomorrow. See what you think? Have you got any good contacts? Think the last time you saw my clio was about 2007, so its got a bit shabbier since.

What are you running nowadays? Think you had a Willy 2 and cup racer.

willy337
31-03-2010, 16:13
Hi Coops. Yeah thats my worry. I've already had two ballpark quotes over the phone. One from Emley Finishers / Restorers who said that the paint and materials along would cost around 900 quid alone. He said that 3k was about the mark. They were going to acid seal any other affected areas, wax oil and generally make it mint again.

Then i spoke to another place called Holmfirth Coachworks who gave me a ballpark of around 2k.

Might be worth giving the place in Alfreton a ring then. Would be nice to use someone that has had their clio minted up so I know its gonna be money well spent.

northy
31-03-2010, 16:13
That u Mr Cupitt ?

U not remember your old login lol - Glad to hear u still have it - was going to text potter to see if u were still about.

Still got the Subaru?

willy337
31-03-2010, 16:15
Aye lad. Its been a while. Have you missed me and the noise maker?

willy337
31-03-2010, 16:20
Just got rid of the scooby, really didn't want to though. I'm self employed now and can't go cruising to customers with a scoob. Wierdly enough I sold it to one of Potters mates at work. It was like giving a child up for adoption. :cry:

Coops
31-03-2010, 16:24
01773 835159 or 07980 289622 if you want to give them a call mate

and i'm sure if you want to have a nosey over mine or Darrens cars I know i'd be more than happy, as i'm sure darren would be too. although mines back in for roll cage fitting next week ;-)

willy337
31-03-2010, 16:36
Cheers Coops. I'll give 'em a buzz tomorrow and see what they've gotta say. I've got to get an alternator fitted first as mine seems to be knackered. Then MOT and finally a trip to the body shop. I cannot wait. I'm getting excited about seeing him looking mint again.

Is the same place fitting your rollcage then?

Coops
31-03-2010, 16:39
yes mate, same place

guy who runs it, lee, you do have to pester him as to be fair its a very very busy workshop but he said he's not got too many bookings over april/may time.

tell him ben with the clio turbo mentioned his place to you :D

talkingfish
31-03-2010, 18:20
Hi,

Just read this post and can back-up what Coops has said... can throughly recommend LW Smart Repairs in Alfreton. He did the full restore on my Williams 1 and also Coop's turbo so he has good experience of Mk 1 Clios. My car was done in two goes, all the rust out first and the sills, arches and doors, then the rest of the bodywork and an underseal. He's also had it back recently to do my engine bay too..

I attach a piccy of my car after the work so you can see what to expect..!

Good luck and keep us informed - as Coops says your welcome to view to the car to check the workmanship beforehand!

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff211/talkingfish/P5230466.jpg

Coops
31-03-2010, 18:32
oh ai, good thinking, quick pic of turbo, i had the entire roof cut out also and a brand new panel put in without a sunroof :wink:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/Turbo/IMG_9535.jpg

Wobba
31-03-2010, 20:10
Did a good job on both cars eh!

northy
01-04-2010, 08:01
coops can u post a pic of your sills and rear arch side on?

willy337
03-04-2010, 08:38
Cheers guys. They both look awesome. Gonna ring lee on tuesday to see what the crack is. I'm gonna setup a project thread so you can see progress. Hopefully get him ready for FCS. What a good do!

Might need some help with other jobs too. Need to

Get new clips to refit the spoiler
Fix slight door drop on drivers side
Get holandia sunroof resealed and new headliner fitted (northys fave job)
Get new boot as the drain holes are rusting
Get rear parcel shelf (was the original the suit carrier version?)
Get new window seals all round
Fix drivers side window (makes a nasty noise before it goes fully down)

Any info on where to get some of this would be appreciated. Pictures going on today. :-)

northy
04-04-2010, 10:56
you not fancy loosing the sunroof john - coops style ?

willy337
04-04-2010, 16:09
Yeah I was thinking about it. I'm sure its cheaper and less leaky than going to Holandia for it re-doing.

Have been fitting a new zorst to Kates today so haven't got my pictures done for my project page yet. Very wierd, this is the first time that i've fit an exhaust and actually made the car quieter. Something doesn't feel right. :shock: