PDA

View Full Version : Giving up smoking

Wobba
31-03-2010, 11:05
I've been off fags for over 5 weeks now. Last time I gave up I was unemployed and locked myself in a room for 2 weeks, during which time I got REALLY bad palpitations, breathing problems (thought I was having heart attacks!) and extremely bad tempered, but being locked away could do little harm to myself or anyone else. It took about 2 weeks for this to manifest.

I am now getting these same symptoms, but this time much farther in to my giving up than before. I now work and have a much higher level of daily stress. I am THIS CLOSE to smashing peoples heads in.

Feel like shit and barely able to hold it together!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Feeling light headed most of the time and tiny things will set my blood boiling. Driving at rush hour with gimps all about is very testing I tell you!

schakal
31-03-2010, 11:18
quitting smoking is piss easy , staying off them afterwards
is not for some people including myself :? :(

one thing certain though , cigarettes are great for stress relief 8)

Tommo
31-03-2010, 11:28
I went on champix to quit smoking a couple of months back, and although I haven't given up completely, I have cut down a hell of a lot, now only smoke at weekends really and have a couple in the week. Used to be 20 a day! lol I do plan to knock it on the head completely soon though.

Stick with it mate, if you have gone 5 weeks the hardest part is out the way, try to keep yourself busy and your mind off it and if you start craving go and make a brew or go for a walk or something

Wobba
31-03-2010, 11:29
quitting smoking is piss easy , staying off them afterwards
is not for some people including myself :? :(

one thing certain though , cigarettes are great for stress relief 8)

They are great for stress relief when you are a smoker. I found I got more stressed about stuff generally as a smoker than as a non smoker until I had a ciggy.

Trouble is, now I have smoked for 9 years it will take a good bit of effort to be free of the urge! I don't actually want to smoke but I am getting the shitty side effects of not smoking :(

Coops
31-03-2010, 11:31
shouldn't of started, seemples :wink:

kenny
31-03-2010, 13:05
It's easy once you realise that big business has convinced you that it's really difficult, so difficult that you need their help. All the successful ex smokers I have met just stopped. Those things that make you angry, you would have got angry about anyway whether you smoke or not. I still rant at t***s on the road even after I just stopped well over 10 years ago.

Wobba
31-03-2010, 17:28

I know! I had a deathwish back when I started at the ripe old age of 27.

Coops
31-03-2010, 18:33
i'm just about to roll over that milestone this year, maybe i'll start :wink:

Tommo
31-03-2010, 19:28
It's easy once you realise that big business has convinced you that it's really difficult, so difficult that you need their help. All the successful ex smokers I have met just stopped. Those things that make you angry, you would have got angry about anyway whether you smoke or not. I still rant at t***s on the road even after I just stopped well over 10 years ago.

Ha it's definitely not easy mate, I have tried countless times!!

ThRaXaIR
31-03-2010, 21:33

I know! I had a deathwish back when I started at the ripe old age of 27.

does this mean your 37? OMG

2 live
31-03-2010, 22:10

Ha it's definitely not easy mate, I have tried countless times!!

il go with that tbh. i smoke loads more now than i used to....but then i have knocked the weed on the head...so have like 5 cigs instead of 2 joints now lol...thats an hour btw ;)

LEIGH-ANNE
31-03-2010, 23:35
Yea wobba's 37 now. Was hes birthday the other week 8)

2live - as helpful as ever i see. :lol:

Ive never smoked in my life so cant see how hard it is to give up. I tried giving Williams clio up once :roll: Thats the only thing i can compare it too im afriad.

Keep with it dan please. Your feel so much better in the long run! Im sure my willy isnt helping matters tho - sowwi

Im sure grandmas proud of you, just think of that at hard times :D

Justin..
31-03-2010, 23:48
I might start tbh, Just to be 'cool'

kenny
01-04-2010, 11:28
I might start tbh, Just to be 'cool'

Me too, feeling like the odd one out now :lol:

Wobba
01-04-2010, 15:39
Yea wobba's 37 now. Was hes birthday the other week 8)

2live - as helpful as ever i see. :lol:

Ive never smoked in my life so cant see how hard it is to give up. I tried giving Williams clio up once :roll: Thats the only thing i can compare it too im afriad.

Keep with it dan please. Your feel so much better in the long run! Im sure my willy isnt helping matters tho - sowwi

Im sure grandmas proud of you, just think of that at hard times :D

Thanks Leighanne :D

I guess I still look quite young, though age is starting to show a bit, and I have been putting on weight noticeably since packing up the fags!!!!

Your car is not causing me any stress, gives me something to focus on :D

This week has been tough. Hard at work. I'm anxious about my car etc...

I've heard alllll about you 2 Live :P

col
01-04-2010, 20:46
I cant give up chocolate...........and in the paper yesterday it said its good for you!............in moderation of course,

i always smoke cigars at birthdays an xmas.

best of luck Dan, of course you could always take up nitro methanol sniffing at Santa pod raceway as a diversion :lol:

2 live
01-04-2010, 23:34

none of it bad i hope..

fukkit...i dont really care if it is ;) lol

Wobba
05-04-2010, 21:14

none of it bad i hope..

fukkit...i dont really care if it is ;) lol

Hehehe! All good tbh :D

Col: aye. Santa Pod would be great...IF ONLY I COULD GET MY ****ING CAR BACK!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHH Stupid diff manufacturer keep delaying week after week.

Wobba
22-04-2010, 12:18
It will be 9 weeks this Saturday without a fag.

I've had some high's, and lows...and some seriously bad hypertension! I am currently going through the 'Stoned' phase. It where you have gotten rid of a shedload of crap from your lungs and are effectively on a high from increased oxygen levels. Apparenty as a smoker you produce more blood cells to get every last bit of oxygen, until your body adjusts to roughly 20% increased O2 levels, you get these spikes where it feels like you are hyperventilating all the time. The trick is NOT to panic you're not having a heart attack, just tripping on oxygen.

So. Savings so far: £247.50 based on my old smoking habits.
More energy
Higher anxiety levels (temporary)
Better complexion
Smell/taste back to normal
I don't stink of fags (just engine oil now)
Whiter teeth (honest!)
A healthy hatred of all smokers nearby
Less patience
Reduced chance of heart attack and various forms of cancer

Now to stick at it!

kenny
22-04-2010, 13:06
Excellent, you'll soon be one of those ex-smokers who cant stand the smell of fag ash and smoke. When you get to that stage it's likely you wont want to ever start again, that smell really will put you off.

stelucas
22-04-2010, 13:16
Mate i think that's awesome. Keep it up. I smell of gearbox oil currently so it could be worse.

Wobba
22-04-2010, 13:50
Thanks lads :)

Gearbox oil: Worse than engine oil. That stuff stinks hehe.

Clio-Girl
22-04-2010, 14:05
i gave up 2 years ago, but just recently ive jumped back on the wagon, need to stop again before its too late :(

Wobba
22-04-2010, 14:08
i gave up 2 years ago, but just recently ive jumped back on the wagon, need to stop again before its too late :(

Stop now!!! I gave up about 4 years ago, then started again as everyone near me at work smoked. They've mostly gone now thank god, but it's been really hard stopping as I left it so long :(

Clio-Girl
22-04-2010, 14:10
im a failure :cry:

no no i must have will power, smoking is yucky!!

kenny
22-04-2010, 15:59
Mate i think that's awesome. Keep it up. I smell of gearbox oil currently so it could be worse.

We all smell of gear oil, that's why no other petrol head notices

Coops
22-04-2010, 16:19
im a failure :cry:

no no i must have will power, smoking is yucky!!

****in hell, but your well into your fitness miss ronee :?

Clio-Girl
22-04-2010, 16:33
i know i can feel it in my chest, running 10km feels like im being choked :(

im so stupid, but i will quit again ive done it once cold turkey time for round 2!!

zmaster2k
22-04-2010, 18:28
Full support from me here dude!
Do you have an iPhone? Download "my last ciggerete" it has genuinly helped me!

I've been smoke free for 349dAys 15 hours and 18mins!
Based on my last smoking habbits I've saved
£11.96 a day
£363.17 a month
£4174.70 so far!!!

Since I have given up I've not smoked 13000 ciggerettes! (40 a day)

3352716 people worldwide have died due to smoking related illnesses since I've quit!

5 weeks In the hard stuff is behind you! Keep it up! It's not easybut Its soo worth it! I had one puff on new years eve and that was enough for me to realise how foul it was!

One downside is now due to my new sence of taste I now have! I can no longer eat a vindaloo :(

keep it up dude your on easy street!

16v_paddy
22-04-2010, 20:29
Thanks lads :)

Gearbox oil: Worse than engine oil. That stuff stinks hehe.

Tastes ****in worse as well :puke: & the taste stays there for about 2 weeks :puke: worst fail of my life was trying to pull some bird, a few days after getting a mouthful of gearbox oil, while I had a permanently contorted face from the foul taste still in my gob :oops:

Wobba
22-04-2010, 21:41
Full support from me here dude!
Do you have an iPhone? Download "my last ciggerete" it has genuinly helped me!

I've been smoke free for 349dAys 15 hours and 18mins!
Based on my last smoking habbits I've saved
£11.96 a day
£363.17 a month
£4174.70 so far!!!

Since I have given up I've not smoked 13000 ciggerettes! (40 a day)

3352716 people worldwide have died due to smoking related illnesses since I've quit!

5 weeks In the hard stuff is behind you! Keep it up! It's not easybut Its soo worth it! I had one puff on new years eve and that was enough for me to realise how foul it was!

One downside is now due to my new sence of taste I now have! I can no longer eat a vindaloo :(

keep it up dude your on easy street!

SHIT A BRICK!

40 a day. That's oldschool hardcore that is.

vkosho
22-04-2010, 23:27
I smoke quite a bit and i smoke cigarettes too.

I cant see myself quitting right now but i want to in the future. Ive gone without for periods and i reckon its one of the most mentaly challenging things a person can achive especially after smoking for a long time. The pychological addiction is massive with the way smoking ties in with all your other general activities.

I actualy really enjoy smoking right now and would prefer to continue for the time being risking my health but without putting myself under any more weight. As far as im concerned its one of the good things, But quitting is the way to a better life i guess.

See how its going at 25 maybe :D