PDA

View Full Version : Gears popping out

Wobba
25-03-2010, 20:38
Ok, ages ago I fitted a short shift. After I did this I couldn't get many gears, so after 2 days under the car adjusting the gear selector I got all gears...but reverse kept popping out and was really hard to get in gear. I left it like that fir a year or so.

Finally decided I'd had enough and Mat Brown sent me a gear selector that's never been meddled with. Put it on npnp. Seemed fine.

Last two days the reverse has started popping out again AND 5th gear when driving. luckily I have not been flat out, just cruising, so no redlining off the limiter yet.

I am trying to work out if it is the gearstick design itself or what...!?

The other thing is I noticed the rubber gaitor at the end of the selector arm is really shagged and split. Would this, if it gets jammed in the selection mechanism, cause this problem?

16v_paddy
25-03-2010, 20:43
I had a similar problem with reverse popping out while reversing up any kind of slope.

I've put it down to the combination of 4th mount plus short shifter, since the 4th mount slightly twists the engine, as I no longer have that problem after fitting a 5th mount

Might be of some use to you mate

Justin..
25-03-2010, 20:43
imo the short shifter is too stiff (assuming you haven't got the box piece fitted too?), when the engine rocks it pulls it out of gear instead of moving with the engine/box rocking motions. I have the same problem, only in 2nd gear though but it only pops out after stamping on and off the throttle.

Wobba
25-03-2010, 20:55
Well, it COULD be the position of the engine mount/s as I have had those off so many times now and never really bothered to us Renaults method of realigning them.

Stan will have to get my gearbox off anyway and the head so I may as well let him use his kno-how and just deal with it.

Ye. I have 4th mount fitted, but the reverse issue happened prior to that I think.

Wobba
25-03-2010, 20:55
imo the short shifter is too stiff (assuming you haven't got the box piece fitted too?), when the engine rocks it pulls it out of gear instead of moving with the engine/box rocking motions. I have the same problem, only in 2nd gear though but it only pops out after stamping on and off the throttle.

Not got the smaller box piece fitted, no. Was thinking of putting it on to see what happens.

Coops
25-03-2010, 21:07
when you select reverse or fifth lever is forwards in car, so arm pulls back on the selector arm connecting to the box, so make the arm a bit shorted on the adjuster, don't rotate it, just shorten is slightly

Wobba
25-03-2010, 21:44
when you select reverse or fifth lever is forwards in car, so arm pulls back on the selector arm connecting to the box, so make the arm a bit shorted on the adjuster, don't rotate it, just shorten is slightly

lol

My old selector is a tiny bit shorter than the OE spec.

Bottom one is the one I adjusted, see it is slightly shorter on the clevis bar?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0372.jpg

Coops
29-03-2010, 09:54
shorten it some more and see mate, no harm no foul :wink:

Wobba
30-03-2010, 00:08
I've left it with Craig now, though I dont want hims spending 2 days pissing about. It did not jump out of 5th at all on the entire journey to Wales, 200 miles.

I have a feeling it may be the rubber gaiter.