PDA

View Full Version : williams v's 172 on track?

bill.
22-03-2010, 00:10
how do the 2 compare on track? i have never been or driven a 172, but for some reason i seem to have it in my head that the mk1's are the better car handling wise?

correct me if i'm wrong? ( without being biased towards the willy lol )

i will be getting a track car soon enough, a williams/hybrid has been on my mind, until recentley, where i have been looking at ph1 172's, and even cups, i am now swaying towards these, as they are newer and dont seem to suffer the rust issues of the mk1, are they similar handling or miles apart?

cheers

talkingfish
22-03-2010, 10:08
I've been with a 172 on track in my Williams.. the 172 was definately quicker in a straight line but the Williams was quicker round the corners... horses for courses I suppose...

Daz.
22-03-2010, 11:04
Depends on the mk2, for example a ph2 172 feels a little softer than a williams in the corners in standard guise, 182's feel harder but I wouldn't say faster...

If I was buying again and wanted a good track car I'd get a ph1, cups look ok but in my expeirence aren't faster than any of the others...

Ph1 & Ph2 172s are cheap enough to get now and have a play with, mines on its way to being where I want it - just needs more power now!

bill.
22-03-2010, 11:10
i could probably get a fairly well sorted ph1 for the money, coilovers etc, and i do like the front end on them, over the later cars, but i'd be pissed if i get mk1's running rings round me on a track :roll: , i'd be thinking i'd made the wrong decision lol

Daz.
22-03-2010, 11:23
You stripping it? Bit of strippage in a ph1 is all you'll need, the rear goes VERY light when you take all the shit out of them - I had a big moment :oops: :lol: so it all went back in lol..

Deffo what I'd do if I had my way again, nice ph1, strip and sell the goodies, decent seats and steering wheel and a decent set of coilies and setup.

With mine being more a daily and the missus having her input I got a ph2, mines sat on eibach springs for now but i'm having some Koni Adjustable dampers refurbed and set up, they've been regarded as the best back road setup for these cars and similar to the Trophy setup but with a few more options open to you... We will see!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/172/Photo-0037.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/Daz0rz/172/Photo-0040.jpg

Mines getting there now
:D

10000% best bit of these cars for me is RUST, or complete lack of :wink:

bill.
22-03-2010, 11:37
nice motor daz, looks well 8) is that a home brew roll cage in the second pic :wink:

yeah i'll be stripping it, i'll have a daily runner also, so can do what i please to it really, the rust factor is whats swaying me towards a 172 and not another williams really, just hope there as much fun

Coops
22-03-2010, 12:11
just hunt round for a decent rust free mark 1, theres some about if you are willing to take the time to thoroughly check over a prospective car.

but i'm bias, mark 1 till i die :lol: the looks of the mark 2's do absolutely nothing for me in comparison

Daz.
22-03-2010, 12:28
just hunt round for a decent rust free mark 1

He'll be looking forever!

Mk2's look better in real life than pictures, the front end of a ph1 looks well hard in real life :twisted:

Whenever I see a mk1 I always look and admire it, I agree they look much better than mk2's much better stance but then you see the rear arches and it all goes wrong!

I still haven't seen a mk1 in real life I'd be happy to leave forever bodywork wise, mk2's you can just forget about that and spend your money elsewhere - if I'd have spent on the 172 what I did on the williams it'd be stupidly quick by now.

Daz.
22-03-2010, 12:29
nice motor daz, looks well 8) is that a home brew roll cage in the second pic :wink:

yeah i'll be stripping it, i'll have a daily runner also, so can do what i please to it really, the rust factor is whats swaying me towards a 172 and not another williams really, just hope there as much fun

Aye home brew cage made of plastic, I managed to get it look just like a standard trim item, don't have to tell the insurance company now :wink:

bill.
22-03-2010, 13:17
coops- What daz said, where only on this world for a short time :wink:

every add you see, for a mk1 seems to mention rust bubbles of some sort, or if not, it just makes me suspicious if they'd just had them done to sell on the car, like i did, mine started showing again after 3 days! but it looked well enough to sell, thank god.

Daz.
22-03-2010, 13:52
We're selling/ part ex'ing the missus fiesta for something newer for her, got rust forming on both rear arches and the shit line of the drivers door.

I HATE RUST!

Jamie.
22-03-2010, 14:04
Get a ph1 172. Cheap as chips, supposedly quick and at least if you prang it, it'll probably look better.

northy
22-03-2010, 14:08
for the money u can pick up a standard 172 for 3k, but u can get a modded mk1 for the same money.

I know what i would rather have

Coops
22-03-2010, 14:13
phase 1 172's can go for as low as 12-1500 quid i've seen. silly cheap and definately worthy of in investigation if your passion is simply something quick for track

my passion is mark 1 clios, as such nothing else will do, i dont like the mark 2's. if i didnt have a mark one and i wanted no rust i'd buy vag as i prefer the look of them over mark 2 clios, even tho they are yamnmobiles :lol:

Daz.
22-03-2010, 14:45
Budget 2.5k for a ph1 and enough money left over for decent suspension and a fresh discs pads - job done :D

Like i've said I'd have a mk1 over a mk2 but for a car you can leave on your drive and use on tracks with minimum effort and safe in the knowledge its not gonna rot to death you can't go far wrong..

Not sure if I'm gonna go mental with mine or not and turbo it :twisted:

I also know which I'd rather crash in!

bill.
22-03-2010, 16:31
for the money u can pick up a standard 172 for 3k, but u can get a modded mk1 for the same money.

i reckon i can get 172 with a few nice mods for my budget, coilovers, exhaust etc etc :wink:

Coops
22-03-2010, 16:33
end of the day they are both similarly matched cars i'd say, so its personal preference, 172 is fugly, mk1's are rot boxes................swings and round abouts :wink:

bill.
22-03-2010, 16:39
end of the day they are both similarly matched cars i'd say, so its personal preference, 172 is fugly, mk1's are rot boxes................swings and round abouts :wink:

well put lol

northy

i reckon i can get 172 with a few nice mods for my budget, coilovers, exhaust etc etc :wink:

buy it then bring it to the club trackday, we can then do a comparrison :wink:

Daz.

This. :lol:

Wouldn't say they're ugly - just forgetful lol.

bill.
22-03-2010, 16:54

buy it then bring it to the club trackday, we can then do a comparrison :wink:

when i get one i will, be interesting to see how it does

ThRaXaIR
22-03-2010, 18:44
if its a track car who cares if its rotting out, probs blow up before you need to fix it! my wee willy 2 is coming through on the arches badly now, but god it puts a smile on your face! lol also its all light weightening sorted!! ;)

yeh come to the club trackday should be a giggle! :D

Slam
22-03-2010, 19:08
imo ph1 mk2 172 alloys are nicer than the ph2s

2 live
22-03-2010, 19:59
well i dont think i actually need to comment for ppl to know my opinion ;)

soooo...il let the vids do the talkin.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/williams-vs-172_70144.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/in-car-clio-williamsoulton-park-session-1_67131.htm

Daz.
22-03-2010, 20:34
well i dont think i actually need to comment for ppl to know my opinion ;)

soooo...il let the vids do the talkin.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/williams-vs-172_70144.htm

http://www.streetfire.net/video/in-car-clio-williamsoulton-park-session-1_67131.htm

Wondered how long it would be :lol:

Those vids really do show absoultely nothing by the way!

2 live
22-03-2010, 20:56
1st vid..172 williams.both same mods....both 2 up....williams pulls ahead

2nd vid.....how many 172/182s got passed by the williams?? trophy got lapped 3 times

Daz.
22-03-2010, 21:18
Williams gets a better start, distance stays the same.

Williams going for it, others look like its their first time out on track to me.

Looks I'm not having this argument, I'm not biased to either I've had both I know which I'd rather be in in a perfect world and its not the one I'm in, I even said to Craig on the phone today mk2's feel muted in comparison.

But I'd like to know what goes on a bit further in the first vid as the speeds rise, and I'd like to see how a properly driven mk2 would cope in the second vid.

Surely slagging off a Punto is far more use of ones time :wink:

Daz.
22-03-2010, 21:21
AND I forgot to mention engines and weight penalties - looks like a ph2 in the first vid, heaviest mk2 of the lot vs the lightest (just) version of the willy.

Daz.
22-03-2010, 21:21
See what you've done now you started me off :lol:

Coops
22-03-2010, 21:26
thats because you have to get defensive as you regret your life choice of cars and it eats you inside :wink:

2 live
22-03-2010, 21:38
AND I forgot to mention engines and weight penalties - looks like a ph2 in the first vid, heaviest mk2 of the lot vs the lightest (just) version of the willy.

that was paddys flamer...many many comparisons....same result. williams walked away. ;)

also to even things out a bit, ul see all the baby seats etc in the back....;)

there were a few vids done that day...untill dibble came n spoiled the fun lol

Daz.
22-03-2010, 21:42
Std willy sub 1 ton, most make easily 155-160 bhp standard.

Std 172, over a ton, never make quoted power probably the same as a healthy f7r.

So your results are correct as I was saying!

But the point of this topic was a cheap decent track car, and I still reckon a ph1 172 is his best choice, lightest of the mk2's and plenty to rip out.

2 live
22-03-2010, 21:47
having driven both on track..theres no comparison imho. williams evry day of the week.

ThRaXaIR
22-03-2010, 21:57
having driven both on track..theres no comparison imho. williams evry day of the week.

i love 2live's conviction! when you believe in something you got to fight for it boys and girls! :D

2 live
22-03-2010, 22:25
well mate....the doubters usually have no experience of the thing they are doubting. ;)

bill.
22-03-2010, 23:20
well i think i'm going to go for a ph1 172 anyway, it will be stripped out etc, if i get hassled off the willys, i'll simple supercharge it :muahaha:

keep the debate going mind :lol:

bill.
22-03-2010, 23:21
simply :roll:

Daz.
23-03-2010, 07:39

For you obviously!

But thats not what this topics about - Bill get a mk2 nuff said. end thread yada yada yada.

2 live
23-03-2010, 19:43
mod for mod..does that mean same duration/lift cams too?? if so..not a fukkin chance.

Evogone
24-03-2010, 10:55
mod for mod..does that mean same duration/lift cams too?? if so..not a f**kin chance.

172 cup is only just heavier than a williams 40kg approx. Def faster and the 197 although slower on the straights and heavier is even quicker....

Tiff's proved that one.! :wink:

geesus
24-03-2010, 14:19
is the point of track days not to have fun?

surely you should then drive both cars and decide which one is more fun/more suited to your driving style?

when you say 'better handling' this is all down to driver preference, you will only know which feels better after driving them both?

bill.
24-03-2010, 15:25
is the point of track days not to have fun?

surely you should then drive both cars and decide which one is more fun/more suited to your driving style?

when you say 'better handling' this is all down to driver preference, you will only know which feels better after driving them both?

of course its to have fun, but i want to get the best car for the job, i have pretty much decided on a ph1 172 tbh, unless something else catches my eye, when its time to go shopping, i've a valver and a williams, but never been in a 172, but from what i gather there wont be much in it

ps. my driving style is as quick as possible :twisted:

Evogone
24-03-2010, 15:38
Get a 172 cup, newer, lighter an better looking than a ph1 172 :D

bill.
24-03-2010, 15:44
yeah, but i could get a modded ph1 for the same money

Tommo
24-03-2010, 16:10
Looks like bill has made his mind up but it would always be a Williams for me for track or road, no other Clio comes close imo. Every Mk after the Mk1 is so bland and boring imo, even Jamie is bored of his Trophy and is thinking of coming back to Williamsland... :wink:

Daz.
24-03-2010, 16:54
Looks like bill has made his mind up but it would always be a Williams for me for track or road, no other Clio comes close imo. Every Mk after the Mk1 is so bland and boring imo, even Jamie is bored of his Trophy and is thinking of coming back to Williamsland... :wink:

Which he'll never do, not as a daily runner - the fact is when your throwing money at one you think oooOooo it's all worth it, then when you get something else you realise it simply isn't worth the arse factor.

2 live
24-03-2010, 18:11
says the man whos definately getting another^^^^^^^^

lol

Tommo
24-03-2010, 18:13
Yes I agree they aren't an every day car.

I'd get a Golf Diesel for every day and keep the Williams for weekends, trackdays and car shows.

I think it is worth the arse factor tbh, I don't mind spending so much on mine when you see how many are neglected, being broken for parts etc. it's nice knowing I have one of the nicer examples out there, makes it all worth it.

Daz.
24-03-2010, 21:51
says the man whos definately getting another^^^^^^^^

lol

not deffo... I'd like another, but a 172 exclusive is cheaper and easier to live with... plus I'd have a plaque then :P

I have so much 172 Exclusive love to give! Can't believe no-one really likes them - I want one too!

Jamie.
24-03-2010, 21:58
They're nice the Exclusives just the interior is quite questionable.

Daz.
25-03-2010, 13:08
I love the Exclusives and the interior is PIMP!

This is correct :D

I think it manages to make the ph1 dash OK rather than the usual 'my eyes, the goggles do nothing!'

Coops
25-03-2010, 13:38

Which he'll never do, not as a daily runner - the fact is when your throwing money at one you think oooOooo it's all worth it, then when you get something else you realise it simply isn't worth the arse factor.

been running my williams 1 which is by no means a minter for over six months now, total cost of repairs, 60 quid for loom to be repaired when it wouldnt start

thats it

2 live
25-03-2010, 19:58

been running my williams 1 which is by no means a minter for over six months now, total cost of repairs, 60 quid for loom to be repaired when it wouldnt start

thats itnot bad

and pretty much likewise.....the track car has been on the road since aug 07.....fair enuff, it cost me £200 to get it on the road, but its cost me petrol since....and thats including the days at spa/oulton. altho it does need bearings all round now and could do with a set of brakes...... but nearly 3 years abuse..................not bad really

schakal
25-03-2010, 20:01
i have seen a few 172/182/trophy pretty much owned by
mk1 clios , r5 gtt and a certain honda on the track .

DISCUSS !! oh waitt ... :P