PDA

View Full Version : Help. Rear caliper rotated on hub

staccato
20-03-2010, 17:41
Was driving along today and my williams spat out it's rear near side brake pads through the wheel spokes, and the caliper has rotated forwards about 1/4 turn.

Luckily I managed to pull over with little braking power to assess the damage and call the AA.

What does the rear caliper bolt to that would allow it to spin upwards like then? I've since used a hammer to bang the caliper back down to it's proper position again. It's not loose, but will rotate when hit with a hammer.

northy
20-03-2010, 21:59
the rear caliper bolts to a cast metal housing which is screwed to the rear axle assembly. The housing will be still mounted mate -

Sounds like one of the caliper mounting bolts has come loose [/code]

staccato
21-03-2010, 18:19
ok taken the rear disc off and two of the 4 torx bolts holding the disc backing plate to the arm have snapped. Got them out and I'll buy new bolts tomorrow but they don't seem to line up with anything. Any ideas?

midge
21-03-2010, 19:31
sounds like the whole lot is twisted?

staccato
21-03-2010, 21:40
sounds like the whole lot is twisted?

what do you mean the whole lot? What should the 4 torx bolts bolt into once they've gone through the brake disc backing plate?

staccato
22-03-2010, 09:25
ok I've looked at this further this morning. There are 4 torx bolts that go through the disc backing plate and into the rear trailing arm to hold the whole caliper assembly in place.

All 4 of my bolts have snapped inside the holes. Any ideas what the best way is to remove them?

northy
22-03-2010, 09:28
where are u based as i have a full axle for sale.

Can you get to wigan for collection ?

schakal
22-03-2010, 10:04
ok I've looked at this further this morning. There are 4 torx bolts that go through the disc backing plate and into the rear trailing arm to hold the whole caliper assembly in place.

All 4 of my bolts have snapped inside the holes. Any ideas what the best way is to remove them?

if all bolts are snapped the plate should be free to come out with
a tap . take it off and see if the remaining bits of the bolts are long
enough to bite with a pair of mole grips . if so clamp one at a
time and use lots of heat on it before trying to unscrew .

staccato
22-03-2010, 10:32

if all bolts are snapped the plate should be free to come out with
a tap . take it off and see if the remaining bits of the bolts are long
enough to bite with a pair of mole grips . if so clamp one at a
time and use lots of heat on it before trying to unscrew .

no they're not long enough. All of them are about 3mm into the arm. I'm gonna try to dremmel a slot in each snapped bit and remove with a flat bladed screw driver