PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Bias Arrangement...

1995clio16v
20-03-2010, 17:26
When I took my rear beam off today there was some cable arrangement via a rubber gator that connected to my rear beam through a loop. I simply disconnected it.

What purpose does this cable/wire serve?

Wobba
20-03-2010, 19:22
When I took my rear beam off today there was some cable arrangement via a rubber gator that connected to my rear beam through a loop. I simply disconnected it.

It opens and closes the brake bias valve.

katbloke
20-03-2010, 20:51

To add as the axle raises or lowers due to weight and force thus opening and closing the valve shifting braking ratios

vaidaspr
11-11-2010, 22:44

To add as the axle raises or lowers due to weight and force thus opening and closing the valve shifting braking ratios

When this valve is closed it`s max force to rear, or max force is when valve open?

Wobba
11-11-2010, 23:41
As the car tips forward under braking, you dont want so much effort to the rear brakes so the bias valve is closed.

Just have a look at it and think about how the car acts under braking, you'll figure out which way shuts the valve soon enough ;)

vaidaspr
12-11-2010, 11:06
As the car tips forward under braking, you dont want so much effort to the rear brakes so the bias valve is closed.

Just have a look at it and think about how the car acts under braking, you'll figure out which way shuts the valve soon enough ;)

I use my Williams in a race, so I need max force, but when track has a lot of corners better if rear has less force. So I can tuning manualy this valve to fix in one or other position.

Wobba
12-11-2010, 11:23
Basically, when the valve is closed it is not allowing pressure to the rear callipers. This is preferable under hard braking under normal circumstances as it stops the rear brakes locking and making the car unstable.

You might want to adjust the balance of the front and rear braking with a manual bias valve in some conditions, e.g. if your car is a rally car and you like getting it's arse out.

stevie_b
13-11-2010, 19:58
I use my Williams in a race, so I need max force, but when track has a lot of corners better if rear has less force. So I can tuning manualy this valve to fix in one or other position.

If you want to adjust the bias for different tracks or conditions you are better off getting an in car bias adjuster and junking the item that connects to the rear bar. You'll need to make yourself a new brake pipe that runs from the master cylinder into the adjuster and then branches into two afterwards to run down to the two rear calipers. The adjusters come in screw or lever types and Wilwood, Tilton and AP are probably the brands to look for.

stevie_b
15-11-2010, 20:32
In case it helps here is the one in my car. There is just one line in and one out, so you need to join two inputs from the master cylinder together (or block one hole up on the same cylinder circuit) and then split it into two again after the bias control:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/clio/bias.jpg