PDA

View Full Version : Tyre changing without damaging alloys

Wobba
18-03-2010, 16:44
As many of you know my alloys are mint, having been done at Pristine.

I've just changed tyres and was EXTREMELY anal about how they do it and going over the wheels and they agreed there was no damage at all.

R1R's are now on.

BUT they have gouged the lacquer off in about 4 places exposing the metal of the diamond cut rims.

I asked the boss what he was going to do about it after the fitters agreed they had in fact damaged the paint. The boss simply said '**** all', so I refused to pay. He tried to tell me there was no damage he didn't warn me of (I specifically said can you do my alloys without any damage).

Now, the marks are not too bad but I know the alloy will oxidise sooner or later and I'll need to get them redone or just not bother ever trying to look after my car as it's guaranteed muppets will ALWAYS damage it (like AA man and my paintwork).

I am going to try and use a fine brush to paint nail polish varnish over the damage for now to stop them going bad, anyone done this before?

Where can you get tyres fitted without damage to the alloy or lacquer guaranteed?

snowman
18-03-2010, 16:51
This is a concern of mine,my wheels are now off at the powdercoaters and even though they wont be as posh as diamondcut edges i still dont want them damaged when fitting the tyres.

geesus
18-03-2010, 17:04
i dont understand how fitters can damage them if you have specifically told them to be extra careful?

or is some of it down to the equipment used?

i used to fit tyres and if i wanted to be extra careful i could do it without even touching the outside edge of the wheel, hard to explain without pics

i had tyres fit to my freshly powdercoated alloys and told them what i expected and he did it perfectly

Wobba
18-03-2010, 17:35
i dont understand how fitters can damage them if you have specifically told them to be extra careful?

i used to fit tyres and if i wanted to be extra careful i could do it without even touching the outside edge of the wheel, hard to explain without pics

i had tyres fit to my freshly powdercoated alloys and told them what i expected and he did it perfectly

Spent 5 minutes on the phone speaking at length about my wheels and possible damage, then about 10 minutes with the fitters drilling it into them to be careful, why I wanted them to be careful and going over the wheels to check for damage prior to them touching the car.

They have also chipped the coating clean off where the hubs nuts are on one wheel that I checked.

Coops
18-03-2010, 17:41
i very much doubt any normal tyre fitting place will completely guarantee, as in in writing so legally binding, they wont damage the wheel. if you havent saved the phonecall or got a written agreement signed by them saying they will pay for any damage then you havent got a leg mate am afraid

and if you try to get them to sign anything like that, they wont fit the tyres, tell you to find somewhere else :(

geesus
18-03-2010, 17:45
Wobba - chipped the coating around the wheel nuts do you mean?

if so thats just lazy! [-X

stevie_b
18-03-2010, 18:01
Sorry to hear about the damage. Can't they mount the tyres over the inner edge of the rim so that the outer edge always remains unblemished? Rather than use nail polish varnish can't you just touch up with a coat of lacquer from one of those small touch up paint chip kits?

Justin..
18-03-2010, 18:30
Where did you go to get them done??

The ONLY place I use is Supertracker in Sholing near me. They're machines are modern as fook and all the tyre fitting machines have rubber feet to not damage wheels. They also use black soap?? or what ever it is to fit the tyres so you dont get all that white shit too. Top blokes!

MatBrown
18-03-2010, 18:39

That depends on the equipment and the profile of the tyres.

Mat.

richy
18-03-2010, 19:38

can be a combo of both man and machine tbh, ive worked in some places were the tyre machine was simply crap/knackered and was very hard NOT to damage a wheel!

but as you said, if you take your time and be careful then it can be done without making a mark, and the arm wont even touch the wheel!

Wobba
18-03-2010, 19:42
Where did you go to get them done??

The ONLY place I use is Supertracker in Sholing near me. They're machines are modern as fook and all the tyre fitting machines have rubber feet to not damage wheels. They also use black soap?? or what ever it is to fit the tyres so you dont get all that white s**t too. Top blokes!

I should have gone there again Jus but I didn't have time. More fool me.

I realise no tyre place is ever going to agree to a no damage policy but Jesus Christ HOW MUCH do I have to emphasise how concerned I am about them damaging them and then they go ahead and **** it up anyway? AND THEN THEIR BOSS TELLS ME TO **** OFF!!

I cant do shit about it and I know thats just shitty luck (or actually, EVERYTIME ANYONE other than me touches my car) they damaged them, but swearing at me down the phone and trying to make me pay for it as well....that's just a bag of LOL.

Now it's raining. I can smell my wheels oxidising already, great.

Anyone used nail varnish to seal up damage on wheels before?

snowman
18-03-2010, 19:51
I wouldve thought nail varnish would be ok mate

MatBrown
18-03-2010, 20:26
Yeah nail varnish is good for sealing them, just don't use the red stuff you usually wear!

Mat.

Justin..
18-03-2010, 20:37
LOL!!!!

Wobba
18-03-2010, 20:48
Varnish it is then!

Off to Pristine again to recut the diamond rim and re-lacquer I guess...probably buy a set of willy alloys as well to use and bum about in with some dodgy Hancock tyres :)

LEIGH-ANNE
19-03-2010, 01:06
I can pick u up some nail varnish dan if u want. There are some totally clear ones.

This has pissed me off too tbh....cant beleive it, people are ****ing tools!!

Wobba
19-03-2010, 01:24
I can pick u up some nail varnish dan if u want. There are some totally clear ones.

This has pissed me off too tbh....cant beleive it, people are f***king tools!!

Yep! They are! If you can get some decent clear varnish that'd be grand! Dont really want to buy any in my local shop, people will talk :roll:

I am going to clean them thoroughly tomorrow and hopefully get some of the marks off and dirt they rubbed in to the damaged bits. I'm hoping it may not be so bad after that and if I am super careful with the varnish. I used to be good at fine painting.

Wobba
19-03-2010, 13:03
Makes my blood boil, most of what he has said is a a lie, see first review and their response:

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(tiptop-tyres)_81162.htm

I actually hava telephone recording of my first two calls, but not the one where he claims I got abusive (a lie).

I hate scum like this I really do.

Wobba
19-03-2010, 13:49
Well, given the wheels a really good going over, managed to scratch off most of the damaged lacquer and you can only just see the rim damage now but one of them at least will need re-lacquering, but I've dealt with the worst of it.

Oh well, more to life than a car I guess...not worth getting pissed over!

geesus
19-03-2010, 14:01
Well, given the wheels a really good going over, managed to scratch off most of the damaged lacquer and you can only just see the rim damage now but one of them at least will need re-lacquering, but I've dealt with the worst of it.

hit the button there bud

it's nice to have a rant though isn't it, but in the grand scheme of things its nothing, live and learn

Coops
19-03-2010, 14:42
course its worth getting proper pissed over, to the pub!!!

Wobba
19-03-2010, 19:01

I ****ing NEED beer right now tbh. Shit couple of days. Shit weather. Shit people. Beer is the cure I reckon.

Wobba
19-03-2010, 19:03

hit the button there bud

it's nice to have a rant though isn't it, but in the grand scheme of things its nothing, live and learn

TO THE PUB!!!!

LEIGH-ANNE
19-03-2010, 23:58

I f***king NEED beer right now tbh. s**t couple of days. s**t weather. s**t people. Beer is the cure I reckon.

luckily were going out tmora then ah!

Wobba
20-03-2010, 01:45

I f***king NEED beer right now tbh. s**t couple of days. s**t weather. s**t people. Beer is the cure I reckon.

luckily were going out tmora then ah!

YEA!!!!

bill.
20-03-2010, 11:46
Dont use the **** wits that are ATS whatever you do, i have had numerous problems dealing with these stupid ****ing muppets!

Daz.
21-03-2010, 12:11
I need the tyres swapping on my brand new freshly coated turinis and am shitting it also!

bill.
21-03-2010, 16:36
do not go to ats blackburn whatever you do Daz!

Wobba
21-03-2010, 22:19
I need the tyres swapping on my brand new freshly coated turinis and am shitting it also!

:(

Well the good news is I managed to get rid of almost all the marks now and just need to stick a bit of varnish on one wheel. Don't think Leighanne could even see the damage when she looked today.

Daz.
21-03-2010, 23:57
I know I shouldn't have to but I'm seriously thinking of going back to where I got them refurbed, they popped the tyres on freshly finished wheels without issue.

Wobba
22-03-2010, 00:02
I know I shouldn't have to but I'm seriously thinking of going back to where I got them refurbed, they popped the tyres on freshly finished wheels without issue.

Lol I had the same idea but Pristine are miles away hehe.

Daz.
22-03-2010, 11:09
Ahh feck it, I'm not driving all the way to Leeds to get a couple of tyres changed! :lol: