PDA

View Full Version : first ever 1.8 16v engine rebuild, any advise?

valver_Karl
11-03-2010, 17:25
Hi guys, I will be starting my 1st ever engine re-build soon and would. Like. To hear some advise befor I start, also how many different types off gaskets are inside the 1.8 16v engine

Coops
11-03-2010, 17:46
head gasket set
bottom end gasket set

then depending how far your going

tappets
piston rings
bearings, big end and main + thrust bearings
oil pimp

can also have head reconditioned so new collets, guides and valve seals plus re-seating of the valves

bottom end rehoned and cleaned

lots to do depending on budget and what your after and also how tired the engine is currently, why are you rebuilding it?

16v_paddy
11-03-2010, 19:45
Plenty of sealant on the bearing end cap on the flywheel side :wink: if there isn't enough in the right place, oil will leak past the rear main oil seal.

I had to re-do this on mine last weekend :evil:

Apologies for the crap picture :oops: but you should be able to see where I mean, it will leak from where the end cap meets the block if there's not enough there

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/Image160.jpg
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/Image159.jpg

col
11-03-2010, 22:21
Im expecting mine to look like that Paddy :roll:

valver_Karl
11-03-2010, 23:02
thanks all, i had to sell my old tb engine to help with the morgage, but now i am missing it and eventually gonna tb the spare engine i have,

the condition of my engine atm is, its got full service history, i took it out my car atleast 1.5years ago so its not a stranger too me, since then has been sitting on its side uncovered outside ( sorry to have treaded the engine in this manor lol but just being honest ),
if i can remember correctly the engine was running fine except on over run ( wen the revs were decreacing lets say from 6k it slightly smoked a lil ) other than that it worked fine, also it obv will need cleaning up and will need an altonator, altonator bracket, tensioner, and a few engine mounts,

wot would you guys recomend from reading this? btw coops i will eventually be runnin this on jenvy tb's powered by omex.

head gasket set
bottom end gasket set

tappets
piston rings
oil pimp

can also have head reconditioned so new collets, guides and valve seals plus re-seating of the valves

bottom end rehoned and cleaned

lots to do depending on budget and what your after and also how tired the engine is currently, why are you rebuilding it?

sooty666
14-03-2010, 11:22
hello mate got a really nice head that you can buy back. had new stem seals and valves lapped and flowed plus mad cams. never got round to fitting it, as i went for a bigger valved head. ready to bolt on.Ray

valver_Karl
14-03-2010, 12:17
thank you sooty, pm has been sent

valver_Karl
14-03-2010, 12:19
sooty just realised its u! haha, im such a plonka, how you doin?

valver_Karl
13-04-2010, 21:34
i have the engine up on the stand now, iv got asfar as stripping the manifolds of, all the brackets, now the cams can be seen nicely, tomrrow im gonna get the torx fitting to undo the bolt's holdin the cams down, i have taken pic's but carnt upload them, :( i will keep you up2 date, that way if i arise a problem should be easier to explain.

kj16v
13-04-2010, 22:45
head gasket set
bottom end gasket set

tappets
piston rings
oil pimp

Get yo'self an oil pimp, baby!

valver_Karl
13-04-2010, 23:08
haha ace

robi1000
13-04-2010, 23:23
If it was smoking on over run, problem was in the head. More specifically valve seals. Engine vacuum on over run sucks oil down the valve stems and then into cylinders where it burns, hence the blue smoke.

Cheers

Robi

valver_Karl
14-04-2010, 22:14
cheers robi, i took the head off today, and it was dirrrty, im not worried about this head for now because im buyin my old1 back of sooty who never really needed it,

btw robi i had a lil read of your project and must say i am impressed, it inspired me to strip the subframe from my clio and tidy up the bay,

at the weekend i removed the subframe, tired back the wiring, and disconnected the lights, i am planning net to take of the front wings and fine sand down the engine bay and any rust then apply a thin layer of that dinirtol you mentioned, i take it you can use it in the engine bay? like i say i only want to apply a thin layer ( a layer just enough )

for the rest of you, i think i done well tonight with the engine re-build, i took the head off ( left it in 1 peice ) then undid the sump, man some of those torx bolts are bitches, got there in the end tho, i managed to get the pistons and conrods out, one of the pistons had a fag but sitting there btw lol, god knows how it was there,

the only problem i have its undoing the 19mm bolt connecting the pully to the crank! everything else so far has been straight forward, any1 got any tricks?