PDA

View Full Version : Strange fcuked up splutter/misfire

16v_paddy
10-03-2010, 21:19
The little slut has started to make some worrying noises :shock: Started making a strange spluttering/misfire judder while under load, I'll try & explain

Noticed it on my way into work tonight, in gear, getting around to 5 - 6,000 rpm it starts to splutter, pop, bang & judder like a bastard, almost as though it's only running on 2 or 3 cylinders or hitting the limiter, the revs sort of stop & really struggle to go any higher :? So I'm thinking I've got a massive misfire.
Then almost at work it does the same thing but at around 3,000 rpm then goes away at about 3,750 - 4k rpm. Yet revving the tits off it in neutral it goes right the way up to the redline & back down fine

Get to work & pop the bonnet. I take it all the way up through the revs holding it every 500 rpm or so to see how it's behaving. Now looking & listening to the engine it all seems fine but I'm still getting the juddery splutter sound around 5-6 k.
At the same time I can hear my exhaust blowing like a cunt. I've got a small hole in my centre section silencer & it blew a bit but I think this hole has got bigger & the blowing is much worse. The popping seems to be coming from this hole and the exhaust itself is bouncing around like a mofo - engine is rock solid btw

I'm getting this hole fixed at the weekend but what I want to know, is this god awful spluttering entirely down to the hole in my exhaust or could it be something more sinister?

Coops
11-03-2010, 02:47
earths mate

check the main strap from the loom to the end of the gearbox, mine was loose on that meet down at the ace cafe, turned out the misfire and banging from the zorst was down to that earth being loose

Purple
11-03-2010, 05:12
Could also be fuel feed issue. Check the fuel pump and filter.

Evogone
11-03-2010, 08:37
New coil pack sorted mine on the rallycar.