PDA

View Full Version : MOT Fail again

Wobba
10-03-2010, 18:25
Horn wont work (thanks for fixing like I asked you assholes!)
One handbrake cable frayed
Rear tyres over the tread limit
Mid section exhaust mount (there isn't one)
Twisted nearside brake hose (Goodridge)
Rear offside arch corrosion requiring welding (had it welded last year for MOT, same place)

I have absolutely no time off work as usual and have to go to APD in Wales with the car on Saturday and MOT has just expired.

So. have to spend hours working out why the horn wont work, replace and redo the handbrake cables, get new tyres ordered and fitted, somehow get an exhaust hanger for the mid section of my exhaust, replace/refit brake hose and refill/bleed brake system and then send it off for welding again. Before Saturday. Evenings only, in the dark, freezing my nuts off.

Not gonna happen. ****ing shit. :cry:

MatBrown
10-03-2010, 19:13
Would you really want to have paid them £50 to fix a horn on a car that still didn't pass?
Surely you can scrounge a couple of wheels with good tyres off someone local?
Which bit of the exhaust mount is missing, if its the bit on the car i've got one available, if its the bit on the exhaust just remove the one on the car, and if its just a rubber - easy fix.
Brake hose might just be twisted from putting the caliper back on.
I would question the fact they welded the same spot last year, obv didn't do a very good job.

Personally it sounds like you need to find a new garage.

Mat.

LEIGH-ANNE
10-03-2010, 19:36
ring me about this :!:

schakal
10-03-2010, 19:39
and me , hurry up :!: :!:

Justin..
10-03-2010, 19:43
You can borrow my wheels if you want again Dan.

col
10-03-2010, 20:07
If you need to go to Wales why dont you go an rent a wreck? 8)

Wobba
10-03-2010, 20:07
Would you really want to have paid them £50 to fix a horn on a car that still didn't pass?
Surely you can scrounge a couple of wheels with good tyres off someone local?
Which bit of the exhaust mount is missing, if its the bit on the car i've got one available, if its the bit on the exhaust just remove the one on the car, and if its just a rubber - easy fix.
Brake hose might just be twisted from putting the caliper back on.
I would question the fact they welded the same spot last year, obv didn't do a very good job.

Personally it sounds like you need to find a new garage.

Mat.

You are right Mat as usual.

I got to the garage and spoke to the guy there, he said it was not as bad as it sounded.

He said it was not the mid section mount thank God (as I took the car hanger off), it was just the rubbers and he said they just popped those back on anyway, but one is fairly perished.

He also agreed with you and suggested the brake hose was just twisted from me being a thick twat and twisting the caliper when I put it back on.

Good idea with the wheels, Justin...PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :D

The horn...I am going to desperately try and get Friday off work to have a go at the horn and replace/rewire anything that's shagged.

Never done a handbrake cable. Seem to remember the main thing is getting all the crap off that covers it I'll do a Haynes...I imagine the part is easy to get hold of.

They didn't do the welding last year, the weld has held but the corrosion has come past the previous weld and left holes either side. They have offered to put a much longer plate there as a temporary measure till I replace the sill later in the year.

Not as bad as I thought but still a pain!

I'll be in touch Justin mate.

Coops
10-03-2010, 20:09
sorry to hear this mate, hope you dont get to disheartened, it is a 16 year old french car and its not a bad fail list really

main thing is the welding and as mat says, i'd be questioning the garage about it if they welded it a year ago and its failed again, shoddy work

MatBrown
10-03-2010, 20:10
At least you seem a little more calm and level headed now.
Good luck.

Mat.

Wobba
10-03-2010, 20:10
If you need to go to Wales why dont you go an rent a wreck? 8)

Hehe, yea...I have to take the Williams though.

Justin..
10-03-2010, 20:11
You can get them sunday if anygood?

katbloke
10-03-2010, 20:12
trouble with welding is the areas that join to it become weaker

Wobba
10-03-2010, 20:16
Yea I am more level headed now. Was really stressed at work today :(

The funny thing is I realised I forgot to put the CAT back on, so I rang them and said I may as well not bother with the test as I need to go home and put it back on for the test. He said to go ahead with the test and see how it goes...

...it passed emissions anyway lol. They did remark on how well it was running, especially the engine despite it's age and it was mostly just minor things they failed it on.

Not all bad!

Wobba
10-03-2010, 20:17
trouble with welding is the areas that join to it become weaker

That's exactly where it has gone, all along the welds.

MatBrown
10-03-2010, 21:46
Should have sealed it.

Mat.

col
10-03-2010, 22:52
Thats better, sounds more positive than negative ? :wink:

Carole Anne
10-03-2010, 23:44
Awwww Wobba hope you get it all sorted.

LEIGH-ANNE
10-03-2010, 23:53
All will be sorted tmora :wink:

16v_paddy
11-03-2010, 00:02
All will be sorted tmora :wink:

Are you getting the welder out then? :lol:

Wobba
11-03-2010, 00:17
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Leighanne's welding mask is on standby!

http://www.kittyhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/hello-kitty-welding-helmet-1.jpg

Justin..
11-03-2010, 00:46
LOL!!!

16v_paddy
11-03-2010, 01:03
:rotflmao: HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! :rotflmao:

Wobba
11-03-2010, 22:37
After a supreme effort, driving about, stealing Leighanne's car to get about and loads of stress (and two spare wheels)....

....IT PASSED!!!

Leighanne helped too...

http://www.beyondtheroundabout.com/blog/uploaded_images/hk2-726804-726833.jpg[/img]

16v_paddy
11-03-2010, 22:38
:groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally: :groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally: :groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally: :groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally: :groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally: :groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally: :groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally: :groupwave: :yourock: :mechanic: :groupwave: :rally:

Wobba
11-03-2010, 22:40
On a serious note, without little Leighanne it would not have been possible! So here's to you babe and all your hard work today and putting up with me being a gibbering wreck and being obsessive about my car :yourock:

Wobba
11-03-2010, 22:42
lol Paddy you spammer, you beat me to it!

Justin..
12-03-2010, 01:38
8)

Excellent!!!

Good luck with the drive Saturday :D

Wobba
12-03-2010, 12:23
Unfortunately my visit to APD has been delayed :(

Coops
12-03-2010, 13:10
good work leighanne

dan, you big girl, your useless :wink:

Wobba
12-03-2010, 22:30
good work leighanne

dan, you big girl, your useless :wink:

I've been a mess this week. Not had a day off in weeks so I decided I need to have a break and managed a day in bed today. Feel rejuvenated now and will be back under the car tomorrow morning!

col
12-03-2010, 23:16
I think Dan you spend most of YOUR life in the horizontal position! :lol:

Wobba
13-03-2010, 14:02
I think Dan you spend most of YOUR life in the horizontal position! :lol:

Yep! Taking front suspension off for the fourth weekend running, putting the J&R coilovers back on, ditching the AVO's for now...possibly the gear selector as well if replacement part has arrived at work. Then it's time to clean the car after a few test drives :)