PDA

View Full Version : QUICK! Horn help

Wobba
09-03-2010, 18:03
I forgot my MOT and so it is having it done tomorrow. It will fail on horn being inoperative and headlight adjustment probably.

I've not had a inner splashguard so my horn got filled with mud. I replaced the horns but it's not working at all.

I've tried every combination of plugs and power supply, still wont work. What could be wrong? Is there an easy fix?

geesus
09-03-2010, 18:12
so have you tried putting 12v directly to it?

schakal
09-03-2010, 18:14
I forgot my MOT and so it is having it done tomorrow. It will fail on horn being inoperative and headlight adjustment probably.

I've not had a inner splashguard so my horn got filled with mud. I replaced the horns but it's not working at all.

I've tried every combination of plugs and power supply, still wont work. What could be wrong? Is there an easy fix?

sounds horny . tried having a dump on it ??

Wobba
09-03-2010, 18:35
so have you tried putting 12v directly to it?

No but I've got 6 horns here and none work. Not the fuse, checked that.

Wobba
09-03-2010, 19:50
Does the horn use a relay?

16v_paddy
09-03-2010, 19:52
Scrub the connections clean like a mofo, my replacements from Mat didn't work until I did this :wink:

MatBrown
09-03-2010, 19:56
I always test them before shipping.

Mat.

Wobba
09-03-2010, 20:02
Scrub the connections clean like a Mr shifter, my replacements from Mat didn't work until I did this :wink:

Ok, there is no horn relay.

Trouble is I am now confused. I HATE doing electrics. Especially the night before my MOT and in the fcking dark with the thought of a trip to Wales on Saturday with no MOT. FFS.

I have a new set of horns, slightly different in design, currently fitted. Because nothing is working I don't know if they are both ****ed or the wrong type. Tested old horns, they didn't work either, though they did until recently.

I've scrubbed the earthing point clean already.

Maybe a duff control stalk?

16v_paddy
09-03-2010, 20:05
I always test them before shipping.

Mat.

OK OK OK :roll: I cleaned the plug that connects to the horn as it was caked in crap :oops:

Wobba
09-03-2010, 20:20
Right, garage can fix it for a change. Just too tired to be pissing about, again, in the dark trying to fix my cars latest issue. What's the worst they can screw up this time?

16v_paddy
09-03-2010, 20:46
I'll wait for the epic Wobbanory tale that will follow :lol:

schakal
09-03-2010, 20:47
flolol0l :D

Wobba
09-03-2010, 21:22
I know what they'll do. They'll call me up with some bollocks that it is the most expensive item they can get away with ordering, of course, buy it from Renault for one million dollars, ex VAT, make up some shit about it taking 5 zillion years to fix 'dodgy Renault wiring' at £100/hour, failing the MOT on the headlight adjustment, only to find when I pick the car up they've wired up the ejector seat instead and I end up in orbit for the next several hundred years vowing to never take my Williams to another garage ever again.

MatBrown
09-03-2010, 21:30
The first thing you should be doing is putting 12v to each horn to see if they work.
If they do its the contacts or wiring somewhere.

Mat.

Wobba
09-03-2010, 21:40
The first thing you should be doing is putting 12v to each horn to see if they work.
If they do its the contacts or wiring somewhere.

Mat.

I know Mat, I know, but I suck with electrics, dont have a multimeter to make life easy, and I am shattered and want to punch something repeatedly all the time as I am giving up smoking. Best stay away from the car.

On top of the horn...I fitted my new AST top mounts, had a few issues, fixed them, then left started knocking, then right, then left again, then right, then left AGAIN. This would happene intermittently for a day, then stop, then start again.

Took them off, sorted it on the left, was loose top hat not in the spring correctly...silence. Then the right kicks off again...knock knock knock....argh!!!! So I had them off AGAIN last weekend, found the issue, sorted it good and proper...silence! Yay!

Knock knock knock...FUKING LEFT SIDES KNOCKING AGAIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHH YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

And my reverse gear selection is pissing me off LOADS now, keeps popping out...hence the order for a unmolested gear selection lever and adjuster bar...

I need a hug.

northy
09-03-2010, 21:49
as mat says - take a feed and a earth from the battery direct to horn to test if it works. Normally its down to a bad earth or broken wire.

Coops
10-03-2010, 10:24
poor dan, the french niggle unreliabilty is starting to get to you mate, take a big deep breath then bend over for the garage :wink:

on a more helpful note, it really is as simple as northrop says, get a couple of lengths of wire and connect the horn directly to the battery to make sure you have at least a working horn for a start.

Wobba
10-03-2010, 11:24
poor dan, the french niggle unreliabilty is starting to get to you mate, take a big deep breath then bend over for the garage :wink:

on a more helpful note, it really is as simple as northrop says, get a couple of lengths of wire and connect the horn directly to the battery to make sure you have at least a working horn for a start.

haha, yes, I was a bit stressed last night. Thanks for the advice with the horn, I realised after that I could just use the terminals on the battery...as I said, I suck with electrics but I've learnt something now!

Car is in for MOT. I've told em the horn problem and just said fix it before the test. Probably just a dodgy connector.

I have just remembered I forgot to put the CAT back on so that's a fail...great...another job for tonight in the shitty cold.