PDA

View Full Version : Noise restrictions

Wobba
08-03-2010, 11:08
Anyone ever been black flagged at a trackday for noise limits or been tested at over the decibel limit in their Williams? Anyone been pulled over by the Rozzers for having a rather loud car?

I am a little worried my car may get a bit louder over the next couple of weeks hehe.

northy
08-03-2010, 11:15
stew did have trouble when he had a side exit on, but unless you have throttle bodies you dont normally need to worry. :wink:

Wobba
08-03-2010, 11:17
stew did have trouble when he had a side exit on, but unless you have throttle bodies you dont normally need to worry. :wink:

....oh....

northy
08-03-2010, 11:34
give fred a pm over on cs, as i know yozza did have some trouble at some tracks with noise.

Most tacks run at the late 80's to early 100db's

Coops
08-03-2010, 12:07
i've never been pulled for noise as yet, been pulled for dodgy driving and he checked car over, said nothing about the exhaust or racket it was making :lol:

northy
08-03-2010, 14:00
every trackday ive done i have been noise tested. It depends on the circuit and what limit they have in place

Wobba
08-03-2010, 14:38
Ok that's good to hear :)

Shame we have noise limits at track days at all. It's mainly due to a minority of people who buy a house next door then whine about the noise.

stevie_b
09-03-2010, 16:19
I've been black flagged and thrown off Goodwood for noise. They have quite a low limit there though - 98dB iirc. It wasn't in the Clio but I wouldn't think my Clio was much different in noise volume. Some tracks are 105dB and you should definitely be fine on any of those as the extra 7dB is almost a doubling in the perceived loudness.

northy
09-03-2010, 16:50
i know thruxton is 80db at 20 metres. Any car with a static reading of about 100dB or more will fail to meet the drive by requirements.

110dB is the static limit @ snetterton

stevie_b
09-03-2010, 17:07
It's mainly due to a minority of people who buy a house next door then whine about the noise.

Not forgetting the ones who were GIVEN the land within the circuit perimeter and then campaigned to have the circuit shut down due to noise levels. I forget which track it was now - owner built a house for his in-laws but when he later got divorced they started kicking up a fuss about noise from the track and wanted compensation and the track only used on 5 days a year or some rubbish!

northy
09-03-2010, 17:23
croft steve.

stevie_b
09-03-2010, 17:36
So it was Northy. Just looked it up again and it seems that they lost their appeal back in January so had to pay compensation, legal fees of £500k plus and are now limited to 40 noisy days per year. World has gone mad?

volymmannen
09-03-2010, 21:29
In Sweden they have 95dB as limit on almost every trackday. 98dB is twice as much as that

Wobba
09-03-2010, 21:31
croft steve.

Yea thats a ****ing disgrace. Greed and spiteful attitudes winning out over common sense, very sad, but typical of our ridiculous country of late. That judge must have been on the take or a complete moron to make that decision.

Lunner
09-03-2010, 22:02
A lot of circuits and track day companies will test your car for nowt if you speak to them. Just explain you don't wanna fork out for a day and not be able to run

Jamie.
09-03-2010, 22:04
My exhaust is pretty loud now. Anyway I can check before attending a track day and losing my cash?

Lunner
09-03-2010, 22:13
My exhaust is pretty loud now. Anyway I can check before attending a track day and losing my cash?

^^^

stevie_b
09-03-2010, 23:08
I have an SPL meter. Probably not much help to you Jamie, but Lunner our paths may cross and you could borrow/test your car with it if you like (I was at a track day at Rockingham last Saturday for example, if that was near you - not sure when I am next up Midlands way though)

ThRaXaIR
09-03-2010, 23:17
i have ss exhaust and decat and the db is only bout 82 when ive had it tested at trackdays. now i know thats not TB league but to give you an idea of what makes noisy noise there u go.

Twats are always trying to get Combe shut down :( that track is older than many of the twee little bellends living round there so its not as though it appeared one day during elevense's and trumpeted a set of throttle bodies through there back window......tossers.

Wobba
09-03-2010, 23:58
i have ss exhaust and decat and the db is only bout 82 when ive had it tested at trackdays. now i know thats not TB league but to give you an idea of what makes noisy noise there u go.

Twats are always trying to get Combe shut down :( that track is older than many of the twee little bellends living round there so its not as though it appeared one day during elevense's and trumpeted a set of throttle bodies through there back window......tossers.

82db, not as much as I thought it would be. Thanks.