PDA

View Full Version : Engine problems

MatrixGuy
07-03-2010, 14:05
Last Saturday night i had a problem with the engine not starting. As i didn't know what it was i just had a fiddle with the HT leads and checked other connections to see nothing was loose..... and it later started.

Since then, the engine hasn't really sounded the same and acceleration performance has dropped dramatically. It's got to the point where i don't feel comfortable performing an overtaking manoeuvre :shock:

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers

jw
07-03-2010, 15:09
check the exhaust gases are coming out the tail pipe it could be that the catalyst has blocked

MatrixGuy
07-03-2010, 16:18
Ah ok, thanks mate. I will have a look.

Any more ideas?

SNapeR
07-03-2010, 17:01
Map sensor - your idle will be terrible , no power.
Plugs - again , on a hot car they will not work fine , once it is cold will work until it gets hot again .
Fuel pressure regulator - again ... car will stop , wont start ....
Fuel pump .....

Also before anything - unplug the car battery for like - 15-30 min - your ECU could have some mistakes , it will reset it.

SNapeR
07-03-2010, 17:02
check the exhaust gases are coming out the tail pipe it could be that the catalyst has blocked
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SNapeR
07-03-2010, 17:05
Map sensor - your idle will be terrible , no power. - clamp it to see if it change's any thing.
Plugs - again , on a hot car they will not work fine , once it is cold will work until it gets hot again .
Fuel pressure regulator - again ... car will stop , wont start .... to check it clamp the waste fuel line - if the car gets better it is that.
Fuel pump ..... see if there is any waste fuel getting back to the tank , and if there is enough pressure.

Also before anything - unplug the car battery for like - 15-30 min - your ECU could have some mistakes , it will reset it.

MatrixGuy
07-03-2010, 23:57
Map sensor - your idle will be terrible , no power.
Fuel pressure regulator - again ... car will stop , wont start ....
Fuel pump .....

Cheers matey. The non start hasn't happened again.

I will try disconnecting the battery, see if that does anything.

busterhymes
08-03-2010, 08:15
might be an obvious one but is it runnin on 4 cylinders :?: also you checked coolant level or for coolant in the oil :?:

MatrixGuy
08-03-2010, 13:52
might be an obvious one but is it runnin on 4 cylinders :?: also you checked coolant level or for coolant in the oil :?:

coolant level has dropped somewhat, how can i check there is coolant in the oil? what would that mean?

Wobba
08-03-2010, 15:24

coolant level has dropped somewhat, how can i check there is coolant in the oil? what would that mean?

Check the oil cap for mayo and the coolant bottle for oily residues on the surface.

busterhymes
08-03-2010, 18:17
as wobba says check for the tell tale creamy coloured scum inside the oil filler cap and oil floating in coolant tank all signs of a blown head gasket could account for poor running/performance, a good way to confirm would be a compression test

MatrixGuy
09-03-2010, 14:37
Checked the oil cap and coolant and it all looks normal :?

busterhymes
09-03-2010, 15:12
you need to look at the simple stuff plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm first, work out if its running on all cylinders. Must be someone who can pop it on a diagnostic to check out the prob
no crap in the coolant oil cap doesnt rule out a blown headgasket again diagnostic would pick it up better imo to get that done then blindly set to and change shit loads of parts

Coops
09-03-2010, 15:49
compression test would be a good thing to nosey at aswell