PDA

View Full Version : Correct Williams Wishbones?

Beaniemoo
06-03-2010, 19:48
Hi all I did a quick search on this but there was a LOT of results and none of the ones I looked at answered my question.

I'm looking to buy a pair of Williams lower arms for me car but don't want to get the wrong ones. Although I'm planning to fit them with poly bushes I don't want used ones as theres too much chance of being damaged, even without the owner knowing. I know they are available from Buypartsbuy, Gsf, Euro car parts but are they the correct arms or are they most likely R19 or Valver parts? If so I take it the only way to get the correct arms is to buy from Renault?

Cheers. Chris

Justin..
06-03-2010, 19:54
R19 16v arms fit but give a bit of castor

Beaniemoo
06-03-2010, 21:58
Yeah, that I don't want and is the reason i'm asking I really want the car setup with the handling a brand new williams would've had. I'm not terribly worried about saving a fortune just want the right arms really and if patern ones are up to the job i'll go for those.

If it makes a difference my antiroll bar has round ends not flat ones with holes.

Cheers

snowman
06-03-2010, 22:08
How much caster as im going to fit R19 wishbones to my widetrack?

diathermy
07-03-2010, 10:23
I am interested in this too as I have ordered R19 wishbones.

genuine renault ones are 70 pounds each. I know a lot of ppl use R19 ones so thats what I am opting for as they are 25 pounds each from buypartsby.

I assume it does not make that much difference to handling oterwise ppl would not use them...or do the purists disagree?

snowman
07-03-2010, 10:33
There is a pair of Williams wishbones on ebay atm.

Im interested what % castor and if pos or neg?

h6ewy
07-03-2010, 10:54
I have R19 fronts wishbones fitted and I could not notice any difference so I think its only really for purists as its a fair bit of money saved - i got mine from GSF

Justin..
07-03-2010, 11:05
Williams wishbones

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/justin_2k5/SideOnWithout.jpg

R19 16v wishbones

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/justin_2k5/SideOnWithR19.jpg

Wobba
07-03-2010, 11:56
Well, I have R19 ones on mine.

When I first fitted them I think I did notice a slight difference...having seen the pictures it looks like the R19 gives more positive castor.

In a minute I am about to dissasemble my AVO's and AST top mounts on the right hand side and increase the ride height a bit. I will use the AST's to dial in negative camber and this time a bunch of castor as well to see the difference.

Justin..
07-03-2010, 12:32
I've got the R19 wishbones on my valver too, with the 16's on it you notice the castor alot more imo

Wobba
07-03-2010, 17:45
Well, I've been out and FINALLY found why my AST mounts are knocking, sorted that. I've also raised the height by about 10mm as I was tired of burning my inner arches off with my tyres, also dialled in castor so make the strut more vertical than before and a little less negative camber. Car feels very different now, I'd say nicer on partial bends but its scrabbling about under decent acceleration and feels more understeery...compared to a standard car its not wallowy but having raised the height 10mm it is in comparison to my setup a second ago.

There is noticeably less steering resistance.

Will drop height again a touch and report.

cooper
07-03-2010, 19:53
i'v just fitted genuine renault wishbones to my 1, its the only place i could get them, cost me £127 for the 2 :shock:
gsf said they didnt do them for the williams, eurocarparts list only 1 set for the williams whice turn out to be for an rsi :( and every where else couldn't get them :cry:
if ur going to fit polybushes to ur 1's mate u'd be better off buying a set of used 1's.

Beaniemoo
07-03-2010, 20:03
i'v just fitted genuine renault wishbones to my 1, its the only place i could get them, cost me £127 for the 2 :shock:
gsf said they didnt do them for the williams, eurocarparts list only 1 set for the williams whice turn out to be for an rsi :( and every where else couldn't get them :cry:
if ur going to fit polybushes to ur 1's mate u'd be better off buying a set of used 1's.

Ah now theres the answer I was looking for cheers matey. I think i shall get new genuine ones then if patern ones are no good as I supsected. I'm not interested in R19 ones as yeras repairing accident damaged cars means I know how important a few mm's is in suspension geometry. On the same note I shan't go for used ones as theres too much chance of them being damaged from 10+ years and 100k miles on the road.

Cheers Chaps

cooper
07-03-2010, 20:10
if u wasnt so far away mate u could of had my old 1's, they dont look that old and there is no damage to them, the only reason i changed them is because i'm renewing all the suspension on my williams :wink:

snowman
07-03-2010, 20:14
"I'm not interested in R19 ones as yeras repairing accident damaged cars means I know how important a few mm's is in suspension geometry"

So are you saying the R19 ones arent no good then?

cooper
07-03-2010, 20:15
if u wasnt so far away mate u could of had my old 1's, they dont look that old and there is no damage to them, the only reason i changed them is because i'm renewing all the suspension on my williams :wink:

Justin..
07-03-2010, 20:16
LOADS of people use them and have no issues

richy
07-03-2010, 20:21
no issues running the r19 wishbones tbh, they do add a little caster but nothing adverse, had mine my old williams 4wheel aligned after i fitted them and rest new etc

got genuine williams wishbones on my 16v but thats because i managed to get hold of some cheap as!

Wobba
07-03-2010, 23:37
Well I've now dialled out the increased castor from my R19 ones with my adjustable mounts. Got my old Willy1 wishbones here and I have tried to get the bushes out but THEY WILL NOT COME OUT!

Beaniemoo
07-03-2010, 23:42
What figures have you set the camber, caster etc to?

Wobba
08-03-2010, 00:10
Till I get it on some measuring equipment I couldn't tell you, it's set up like this just as an experiment and with increased ride height (only when I am commuting to work in it!), when I lower back down it will change all over again.

Not sure if I like the set up yet, I am used to a much harder, less understeer biased setup, but the comfort is nice and easier steering.

Rough guess I'd say almost 2 degrees negative castor each side, maybe a bit less, and probably lost about 2 degrees negative camber (still got a little).

I'll leave those settings as they are for now and maybe drop the height to see what happens sometime this week. For me it's just trial and error till I find a setup I like.