PDA

View Full Version : Exceptionally snappy/stiff clutch

staccato
03-03-2010, 15:41
The clutch in the williams I just bought it very very heavy, but the most annoying thing is that the clutch just snaps up every time I pull away. Creeping in traffic is nearly impossible, and pulling away from junctions usually produces a bang from the clutch followed by the car leaping forward because it snaps up with so much force.

The clutch is apparently new and was fitted about 18 months ago but the place that did it are miles away.

K-Tec racing will fit a new clutch for £400 all in - but this is expensive for something which might have a cheap fix solution.

Any ideas?

Coops
03-03-2010, 15:43
check cable routing and travel

staccato
03-03-2010, 16:05
check cable routing and travel

Thanks. I took it off at the gear box end last weekend and oiled down the sleeve. Is there a specific route through the engine bay it should go? Any key snagging points?

Grimsby
03-03-2010, 16:05
it could well be a R5 clutch hence the stiff and snappyness. GSF do one a valver/williams one for £60 which you would probably find more likeable.

Coops
03-03-2010, 16:14
as above, the R5 clutches are sometimes fitted to the clios and they are very snatchy compared.

clutch cables should come out the box end, round battery tray mount and clip to inner side of passenger side chassis rail, then loop down to two clips on lower rear tray at back of subframe, then under and behind the steering column joint to the rack before curving as gently as possible up and through the bulkhead, try to ensure the cable routes straight down out the bulkhead then turns round and under the column/rack joint, no kinks or tight bends

schakal
03-03-2010, 18:10
it could well be a R5 clutch hence the stiff and snappyness. GSF do one a valver/williams one for £60 which you would probably find more likeable.

why is the r5 clutch snappy then ?? :roll:
are we talking the valeo uprated clutch that fits both
r5 gtt and volvo 480 turbos ?

Coops
03-03-2010, 20:06
yep, uprated r5 clutch from gsf is snatchy as hell, its worse than my paddle clutch from the experience i've had of them

staccato
03-03-2010, 20:22
yep, uprated r5 clutch from gsf is snatchy as hell, its worse than my paddle clutch from the experience i've had of them

From the receipts I have with the car, there's a separate invoice for the clutch which is hand written (just says 3 piece clutch kit) and then another receipt a week later saying fitting of clutch kit. Nothing on what it is or anything.

It'd be helpful if I had a diagnosis before I paid for a new clutch coz it spoils the car to be honest

richy
03-03-2010, 20:30

yeah mine is a right pain in the... knee! snatchy as **** lol

schakal
03-03-2010, 20:31
does anybody have the part number for the snatchy clutch ?
i think i might be fitting one to my car shortly :shock:

richy
03-03-2010, 20:35
dont have the part number anymore but it used to be called 'r5gtt valeo uprated' (or something close to that) on then gsf site, was a few year ago i bought mine!

Coops
03-03-2010, 21:04
i was on about yours when i said 'in my experience' richy lad :lol: :wink:

staccato
03-03-2010, 21:05
I've had a quote from k tec racing for £470 for a group n clutch supplied and fitted.

richy
03-03-2010, 21:12
i thought you might be coops lol

seems alittle pricey but tbh i normally fit clutchs myself so only pay for the clutch so depends on how long they reckon it will take etc

staccato
04-03-2010, 10:39
ok I've delved into the receipts I got for the car and the clutch pedal assembly and self-adjusting mechanism was replaced at about the same time as the clutch. Could this be a potential cause?? Maybe not installed or set up properly?

Lunner
04-03-2010, 13:20
Doubt its the pedal, these are self adjusting.

is this the first higher end mk1 clio you've owned? If so the clutches as standard are stiff compared to most other cars, uprated clutch or not.

On a separate note the R% GTT uprated one from GSF is what i've got on mine, haven't found it too bad, does smell a bit when on and off the clutch all the time tho lol

staccato
04-03-2010, 13:31
Doubt its the pedal, these are self adjusting.

is this the first higher end mk1 clio you've owned? If so the clutches as standard are stiff compared to most other cars, uprated clutch or not.

On a separate note the R% GTT uprated one from GSF is what i've got on mine, haven't found it too bad, does smell a bit when on and off the clutch all the time tho lol

It's the first car over 3 years old I've owned lol

But the clutch is more than just a bit stiff. It's almost undriveable.

I think I've come to the conclusion that a paddle clutch must have been fitted so I'm going to get it replaced. The company doing it are going to do the cable first and check other bits along the way before doing the clutch as a last resort

staccato
04-03-2010, 17:30
dont have the part number anymore but it used to be called 'r5gtt valeo uprated' (or something close to that) on then gsf site, was a few year ago i bought mine!

Just re checked the receipt. Mine is a GSF clutch and on the receipt it says 'send valeo not sachs'

So I have the snappy valeo one by the looks of it!

Coops
04-03-2010, 17:50
may not be, valeo also do standard clio clutch that isnt snappy like the renault 5 one.

as said make sure the garage check the cable routing over well and they know what they're doing, its a lot cheaper than forking out for another clutch 8)

schakal
04-03-2010, 18:43
still does not answer the question as to why it would be snappy ?
could it be the spring plates on the cover that makes it
stiffer than a normal clutch ?
if thats the case using another cover might fix it ,no ? :idea:

staccato
05-03-2010, 22:03
ok I called GSF today as they were the ones who supplied the said clutch. They said they can't tell if it was a standard or uprated clutch and they believe the clutch sent was a valeo one. The clutch cable was a genuine renault cable bought at the same time as the clutch.

I've been told it could be the nylon pivot pin on the clutch arm that could have worn.

At the end of the day, I'm paying £320 for a new clutch, clutch cable and a new pivot arm bush so surely having the whole lot replaced will solve the problem!

Lunner
06-03-2010, 09:50
Personally i think that its just the car, and you're not used to it.

I remember when i first drove a new car after a few years of driving clios, put the clutch down and almost put my foot through the floor

Wobba
06-03-2010, 11:47

I remember when i first drove a new car after a few years of driving clios, put the clutch down and almost put my foot through the floor

Yea. When my valver was in the bodyshop back in '94 I was driving a Micra for weeks. When I got the Clio back the clutch was so harsh I rang them and asked if they had messed with it! Was a massive contrast to a car like the Micra.

staccato
06-03-2010, 13:22

Yea. When my valver was in the bodyshop back in '94 I was driving a Micra for weeks. When I got the Clio back the clutch was so harsh I rang them and asked if they had messed with it! Was a massive contrast to a car like the Micra.

maybe. But the clutch is very aggressive. Maybe I'll just try and renew the cable

schakal
06-03-2010, 20:21
on topic , is there a way to identify a valeo clutch without
the box ?

whats this one for example ? (apart from the item description of course)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180472654336&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

staccato
08-03-2010, 11:29
Ok my friend looked at my car yesterday. He strips and rebuilds classic cars in his spare time. He said it feels like a fault with the pressure plate.

Apparently the way the pedal goes exceptionally firm in the centre of travel, then all of a sudden goes loose so that the pedal bangs against the floor of the car could indicate some issue with the pressure plate.

Either way it's going to have to have the gear box out whether its to replace the clutch or repair it

Evogone
08-03-2010, 12:10
My Helix paddle clutch and uprated cover feels exactly as you describe