PDA

View Full Version : Williams...love hate relationship

GavinMccoull
27-02-2010, 22:02
My car is getting on my tits atm.. first off last week my os front wheel bearing collapsed so i changed that then the other one went so i changed that. There is also a whine coming off the gearbox :/ so looking for another box which i can imagine will only be a total pain in the arse to change. Serviced it yesterday too and i reckon the engineers at renault were having a laugh when they decided to cram the oil filter in where it is :lol: . Still got the strut tops to do before its mot in april the joys. I love my car really but its high maintenance. In total since i bought the car in august i have spent over 4k on it haha must be mad.

zmaster2k
27-02-2010, 22:38
welcome to the club!

vkosho
28-02-2010, 01:39
But its so amazing when it comes together.

Wobba
28-02-2010, 12:33
Yep, oil filter catches me out even now :D

Once the usual wear and tear stuff is sorted, like bearings, you can forget about them for years usually. Cars like this will have had high wear and tear due their age and cheapskate previous owners.

Coops
28-02-2010, 12:53
jesus!!!! since i bought mine in october i've spent..................nothing and use it daily! :shock:

but either way, they are awesome cars and worth the hassle :wink:

MatrixGuy
28-02-2010, 16:14
Same as me, mine is pi$$ing me off at the moment. It is worth it though when it is working 100%

2 live
28-02-2010, 22:32
dont think iv spent 4k on mine in the 8 years iv had it tbh. bearings etc are like coops says, fit once n forget for years. gearboxes have been my major downfall....usually end up on the bay for a cheapy rather than biting the bullet n gettin 1 from reno for £600 and peace of mind for 12 months lol. not overly hard to swap tho.

GavinMccoull
01-03-2010, 02:02
Im keeping my eyes open for a box just now. Are the 16v and megane boxes the same? Fingers crossed i can get it done over a weekend as i use my car daily and cant afford for it not to be on the road. Just a case of dropping the subframe down as much as possible and trying to prise the bugger out haha. £600 from renault doesnt seem too bad for a dealership price but i think im going to pick one up cheap from ebay or that and send it away to get rebuilt before i put it in for piece of mind.

busterhymes
01-03-2010, 08:23
i know of a jc5 053 box that could be still available was ok when removed from Renault megane 20 16v mileage 70k trouble is its up for £250

Coops
01-03-2010, 11:10
the megane boxes as well as same ones that were fitted to the laguna 2.0's require the use of a mk2 clio top gearbox mount 8)