PDA

View Full Version : TOYO R1R's

Wobba
24-02-2010, 00:06
Anyone used the new 195/50/R15

If so, what are they like wet/dry etc.
:?:

http://www.mazdaontrack.co.uk/ekmps/shops/mazdaontrack/images/toyo-r1-r-195-50-r15-set-of-4--120-p.jpg

schakal
24-02-2010, 00:27
who cares , they look uber-awesome 8) 8)

G33R7
24-02-2010, 13:17
i allready burned one set. now using the second. really good tire. really soft rubber. i wear them away in 7000 miles. better than r888 in the rain.

Wobba
24-02-2010, 14:32
Lol Schacks :D

i allready burned one set. now using the second. really good tire. really soft rubber. i wear them away in 7000 miles. better than r888 in the rain.

Thanks for the feedback. I probably do about 8k miles a year tops. May well get some then ... !

vkosho
25-02-2010, 00:03
pretty swarve. how much?

kenny's son-in-law
27-02-2010, 20:53
I keep seeing posts (other forums) about road legal racing rubber being outlawed by the EU ina couple of years, something about the amount/rate of water they can clear. This would appear to be Toyo's answer :? .

Pete

snowman
27-02-2010, 21:01
where are they available in the uk?

Wobba
27-02-2010, 22:46
where are they available in the uk?

Camskill is the cheapest so far if you buy 4. Prices changing all the time though and the R888's have gone from like £65 last year to about £100 each!

Coops
28-02-2010, 12:12
i thought these came in at more than R888's?

snowman
28-02-2010, 12:14
Ive seen only 1 price so far @£98 each

Wobba
28-02-2010, 12:25
Camskill have a discount code you can enter, it's on my work PC though. Knocks price down for 4 at a time I think. Still expensive, about £86 each, but I've done my math and R888's are more expensive now.

vkosho
28-02-2010, 15:36
they dont look as good as r888s

Wobba
01-03-2010, 18:01
Dear Customer,

How To Check Stock/ See Delivered Price
(Remember to enter discount code below)

Click/Follow this link: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m58

Add required tyres to Shopping Basket.

Then press the 'Go To Shopping Basket' red button at the top of the page.

Enter into the text box (red colour) at the 'Shopping Basket Contents' page the following discount codes
depending on which brand you have in your shopping basket :-

TOMOCOMP Toyo Motorsport tyres + Free Delivery UK Mainland on 2+ tyres.

"YOMOCOMP" for Yokohama Motorsport tyres.

Press the 'UPDATE' button to see the purchase price.

Select your 'Delivery Region' to see exact shipping charges.

Wobba
12-03-2010, 12:08
Just ordered 4, arrival and fitting next week!

Coops
12-03-2010, 12:12
how much did that sting you for mate?

Wobba
12-03-2010, 12:28

Erm about £348 inc vat and delivery but not fitting :)

Coops
12-03-2010, 13:11
:shock:

jesus posh tyres cost don't they, i got my R888's 18 months back for 230 inc vat delivered! and they've gone through the roof n all!

let us know how you get on with them!

manxseven
12-03-2010, 14:35
Anybody use Avon ZZR's ?

Simon

Wobba
12-03-2010, 22:20
:shock:

jesus posh tyres cost don't they, i got my R888's 18 months back for 230 inc vat delivered! and they've gone through the roof n all!

let us know how you get on with them!

I'll write a review :) I thought about R888's but although I love the look of them I have always been dubious about the wet weather ability in what is a lightweight and high power car.

The assholes have put prices up LOADS haven't they?

I hear a lot of people will be swapping to the Hancock track tyre, which is miles cheaper and road legal still.

Coops
12-03-2010, 23:38
i have no complaints in the wet and run them on the turbo, imo offer more grip in damp and wet conditions than my old eagle f1's did. the only complaint i have with the r888's is when you hit large puddles or bodies of standing water, sketchy then.

schakal
13-03-2010, 00:10

Erm about £348 inc vat and delivery but not fitting :)

fokk that sideways iirc :shock: :shock:

Wobba
13-03-2010, 21:41
i have no complaints in the wet and run them on the turbo, imo offer more grip in damp and wet conditions than my old eagle f1's did. the only complaint i have with the r888's is when you hit large puddles or bodies of standing water, sketchy then.

Thing is with aquaplaning, you are then a passenger with no control. Bad enough with normal tyres! I didn't want that much of a compromise so went halfway. We've had such crap wet years lately I'd thought it best to play safe.

Coops
13-03-2010, 23:55
i spose i'd be less happy on a daily runner with r888's. although they did suprisingly well in the snow as well on the m1 on ace cafe 'meet' in december :lol:

Wobba
14-03-2010, 00:00
Well, whatever happens at least I can be in a position to give feedback for anyone else that may want to try them, and at the very worst I will at least know in future not to waste money on stuff like this :)

Wobba
15-03-2010, 22:02
Arrived today ^^ Fitting Thursday :)

They're really...rubbery!

Matty86
15-03-2010, 22:28
350 quid!!!

I got my PE2s, fitted for almost half that... :shock:

Coops
16-03-2010, 10:42

what with them being made of rubber and all :P

Wobba
16-03-2010, 11:26

what with them being made of rubber and all :P

Yea but like, they are REALLY rubbery, you know?

Coops
16-03-2010, 11:33
yep i do, i remember when my R888's showed up, stacked them in my kitchen and tried to nudge the stack with my knee, jeans kinda stuck to the rubber! :lol:

Wobba
17-03-2010, 13:31
When u press the blocks on the tread, the thing it reminds me of is the cubes of jelly you can get to make jelly puddings with, except slightly harder, and when you press it it kinda sweats silicone. Weird!

Tommo
17-03-2010, 14:09
They look nice but are way too expensive imo. Hankook track tyres are £55 each inc VAT, think I'll get a set of these for Anglesey

Wobba
17-03-2010, 14:33
They look nice but are way too expensive imo. Hankook track tyres are £55 each inc VAT, think I'll get a set of these for Anglesey

Yea do that, be good to get an opinion of the Hancocks as they are the more reasonably priced track tyre now. I hear they have become the tyre of choice for many now due to price. One review I read said they were great but when they do break away they did it suddenly and was not much feedback to say they were about to do so, but it may be different with our type of car, and I doubt you will push that hard will you? Plus you have an LSD ;)

Richy_lt
17-03-2010, 15:46

Yea do that, be good to get an opinion of the Hancocks as they are the more reasonably priced track tyre now. I hear they have become the tyre of choice for many now due to price. One review I read said they were great but when they do break away they did it suddenly and was not much feedback to say they were about to do so, but it may be different with our type of car, and I doubt you will push that hard will you? Plus you have an LSD ;)

HANKOOK RS2 Z212 very good tyres. takes a while to warm up. i'm happy with them on wet/dry conditions. they dont have much tread on it when they are new, so wearing looks quite fast..

Tommo
17-03-2010, 16:37

I won't be pusing too hard mate, it will be my first track day so will be taking it easy, for the first few laps anyway! lol! I wanted some R888's for my next tyres but way too much, so I'll try the Hankooks and give some feedback...

Wobba
19-03-2010, 19:17
Tyres are on. Heavens opened up big time down here lol. Ever driven on track based tyres that still have their factory silicone covering on greasy wet roads?

I was wheel spinning without even knowing it was wheels spinning as they span so easily.

Having now done a few more miles on them now they are starting to bed in but its so wet out there...hard to say. The definitely aquaplane more, but so far, nothing really frightening. Full bore acceleration on wet patches results in big time driveshaft tramp.

The sidewalls seem to be pretty solid and I get a lot of feedback, will take some getting used to. They are definitely harder than the F1's, it's like setting the damping right up on the AVO's.

Due ti traffic I didn't get much chance to safely test the limits in the wet and being so new I didn't want to tray very hard :) I did have a go on one roundabout and they did well, I wanted to push harder and get the back out if poss but didn't get that far.

Really need it to stop raining so hard to test them properly, but as is usual on my birthday it is pissing it down :cry:

Lunner
20-03-2010, 08:54
Sound better already than the Avons i've got on the front of mine, been using mine every day this week, so first time its been driven really in the rain for over a year, and **** me you even think about putting any acceleration through them while cornering in the wet and you just understeer off like you've hit a patch of ice

Wobba
22-03-2010, 00:01
Today was my first day in the dry with these badboys. They seem to be bedding in nicely as I spent my driving time trying to make them lose traction by finding the max slip angle and provoking the rear. All this resulted in was a very satisfying bit of feedback and extraordinary grip!

I think they allow the car to lean more, not sure if its the tyre pressure that needs adjusting or just the way they are.

I am amazed how quiet they are as well. They pick up gravel and chuck it about a lot more but there is very little road noise.

Justin..
22-03-2010, 00:49
Do you get the groany drone / tyre roar like the R888's?

Wobba
22-03-2010, 11:42
Do you get the groany drone / tyre roar like the R888's?

Don't think so. They seem really quiet, quite relaxing tbh!

Did my first traffic lights gran prix today on the way to work. Some bint cut me up earlier up the road so I decided to highlight the error of her ways at some lights. Of course, some biker shoved his way up to the front as well (this annoys me when I am on a mission as they always think I am racing them when I am not). Totally dusted the bint in crap new car and kept up with Mr Bike who gave it some welly as well, though I was not racing him at all. No wheel spin at all, just a lot of grip.

Tommo
18-06-2010, 13:22
What are these tyres like then Wobba, worth the money?

Just got a price and they seem to have come down a bit, now £291 for 4 tyres delivered. I need some decent rubber for Anglesey, my Eagle F1's are almost slicks now... :(

Wobba
18-06-2010, 15:35
What are these tyres like then Wobba, worth the money?

Just got a price and they seem to have come down a bit, now £291 for 4 tyres delivered. I need some decent rubber for Anglesey, my Eagle F1's are almost slicks now... :(

Thats a good price Tommo.

I love these tyres, seriously, I have not wheelspun them even at full bore launches, but thats partly the diff I guess....you'll be the same as me with your diff.

The grip is massive and the wet weather is fine...though standing water is scary still, no way as bad as the R888's.

Love the look of them too.

Tommo
18-06-2010, 15:42
Thanks mate, think I'll order myself a set at that price

Jamie.
18-06-2010, 20:09
I hate Toyo's. I had some T1R's. ****ing wank.

Wobba
26-06-2010, 23:26
I hate Toyo's. I had some T1R's. f***king w**k.

I don't like T1R's either. R1R's however...nice piece of kit.

Patrick_g46
27-06-2010, 10:09

Funny that, I love my T1R's in the dry. In the wet ill admit they are sketchy!

G33R7
28-06-2010, 12:48

I don't like T1R's either. R1R's however...nice piece of kit.

agree!

cliolord
28-06-2010, 17:30
imo offer more grip in damp and wet conditions than my old eagle f1's did

Really? :?

Laine_16v
28-06-2010, 19:36
They had awsome grip in the wet from what i remember.

NORG came with a set of T1r's all round. I remember going out one night where it was absolutely hammering it down with rain, i was flying into roundabouts and it just kept gripping! was quite shocked tbh.

I dont think they are bad tyres tbh.

Coops
29-06-2010, 08:47
imo offer more grip in damp and wet conditions than my old eagle f1's did

Really? :?

yes mate, comfortably. but as soon as there was anything other than moisture on the road, any running water or puddles, then your in trouble. but its a myth that they are bad in the damp from my personal experience and i've used pretty much every brand and model of performance tyre :wink:

Tommo
30-06-2010, 14:10
What do you think the handling charcteristcs would be like with 2 of these up front and F1's on the rear. I've just ordered 2 R1R's as the F1's up front are pretty much worn out and won't pass the MOT but loads of tread left on the rears

Wobba
30-06-2010, 15:01
Should be fine mate. Could be quite fun tbh as the R1R's could inhibit sliding the rear out, which many seem to find amusing.