PDA

View Full Version : Non starter...

dickies_willy2
21-02-2010, 13:43
I gave the car a good service last weekend (plugs/oil/filter) but havn't drove it for a good 3 or 4 weeks. came to start it yesterday and the electrics must of got wet or sumit. it started after a while and had a lil drive down some lanes hehe. how ive missed it! :D
left it on the drive ticking away for about 20 mins then tried startin it again but this time it wont do anything. no starter motor turning, nothing! when i turn the key the oil light stays on and the water warning light is on and thats it. you can here the fuel pump start buit thats all you get. does anyone have any ideas what this is all about? cheers chaps!

Red_Dash
21-02-2010, 14:35
Sounds either like a poor connection to the battery or, more likely, your battery is low after being stood for a few weeks.

The first thing I'd do is to check the voltage coming off the battery with a multimeter. Testing across the 2 battery contacts, the reading should be about 12.5 Volts. Certainly, if it's somewhat less than that, when you try to start the car the lights will illuminate on the dashboard , will dim slightly when you turn the key and you'll just hear a slight whine noise and the starter motor will not turn.
Just leaving the engine ticking over won't charge the battery up enough. You either need to put a charger on it or take the car for a LONG run. However, if either of these doesn’t help then it may be that the battery is on its way out.

If you do have about 12.5 Volts coming off the battery, and it still won’t start, then I’d clean up the contacts between the car and battery and smear a little copper grease on them before refitting. If that doesn’t help, then you’d need someone with more experience than me

:)

MatBrown
21-02-2010, 20:18
If you tried while it was hot, has the starter got it's heatshield fitted?

Mat.