PDA

View Full Version : Risk it or not???

Jaymzfc
17-02-2010, 17:00
Hi all,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma and need your opinions. The wily im buying will be mot'd and insured but not taxed. I need to drive it from Cambridge to Dover as part of my trip to Malta. Now basically i'm a bit worried if i get pulled over what would happen, i will have the insurance and the proof of the ferry and export documents, i know i can tax it but thats 100 odd quid which is a lot considering the cost i have to drive from the UK.
What would you do in my position. I know it prob depends on the individual copper.

tks
Jaymz

kenny
17-02-2010, 17:35
Tis a bit of a dilema. If you did tax it you can reclaim unused tax when you arrive home. Post offices here have a form to claim back unused tax. If you did it straight away, of £100 you would probably get back about £80, they would keep a full month + about £20 admin. The chances of driving from Cambridge to Portsmouth without passing an automatic number plate recognition camera are pretty remote, if you did trigger one it would verify the vehicle was insured and mot’d and procedings for having no tax would be sent to the address registered at the DVLA, probably the sellers who would inform them of your address. I have no idea if they would persue you in Malta. Where are you going after Portsmouth? If you are driving on continental roads in a UK registered vehicle you still need to fully comply with UK laws to remaim legal. If It was me I would get the tax and claim it back as soon as I arrived, less agro than dealing with authorities here.

16v_paddy
17-02-2010, 18:23
:goodposting: totally agree with Kenny there, best thing is to tax it then just claim the rest of it back

stevie_b
17-02-2010, 19:25
There is no admin fee when you cash it in, but you can only claim back 'whole' unused months, so it will effectively cost you the £15 'monthly' cost to just use it for the day or two, but to be honest I'd think that is a small price to pay to avoid having to worry all the time whilst on your 200 mile motorway journey :lol: As said above, I would think a tug from an ANPR system is a distinct possibility on the M11/A2/M20 that you'll probably be using. I'd probably risk it if it was on Maltese plates, as they would have no immediate way of knowing whether it had valid tax or not, but with UK plates it would come straight up on the system and you'd run the risk of having the car confiscated, which knowing how much effort you have gone to to import it would be terrible. I know it's yet more hassle and paperwork on your 'mission' but I'd play it safe :wink: Good luck with your trip too - we look forward to hearing about its adventures in Malta.

Wobba
17-02-2010, 19:50
I would tax it. It will save you a lot of stress on the journey and avoid potential problems that may arise.

MatBrown
17-02-2010, 19:57
Just a couple of points.
He would struggle to claim the tax back as the vehicle/V5 has to be in your name and he is not changing the name on the logbook, just exporting it to another country where they will have their own registration system.
There is a 10% charge for buying 6 months tax which is not available on refunds.
Not sure if our system would recognise the insurance policy he has from Malta?

Mat.

stevie_b
17-02-2010, 20:49
Good points Matt. Dunno what he should do then.

kenny
17-02-2010, 22:14
Good points but to come so far, through so many problems, to risk loosing it between Cambridge and the ferry to some spotty cop who needs a nick for his quota, not worth the risk, tax it and try to get a refund, or dirty up the plates and drive at night.

Jaymzfc
17-02-2010, 22:50
Tks guys , i think ill just tax it if anyone tried to take the car off me i would produce my UZI 9mm and spray everyone, and start crying like a little baby, and worst of all my wife would definetly slap me hard as i've driven her up the way talking about the car.

so tax it is i guess, now if the car isnt in my name how can i tax it if i dont have a uk address? and i need to keep the v5 for proof of purchase when i get to Malta????

Wobba
17-02-2010, 23:24
Tks guys , i think ill just tax it if anyone tried to take the car off me i would produce my UZI 9mm and spray everyone, and start crying like a little baby, and worst of all my wife would definetly slap me hard as i've driven her up the way talking about the car.

so tax it is i guess, now if the car isnt in my name how can i tax it if i dont have a uk address? and i need to keep the v5 for proof of purchase when i get to Malta????

There is a new keeper part on the V5 isn't there? Can't they just use that at a post office? Then you can keep the V5 itself :D

MatBrown
17-02-2010, 23:51
But will they recognise his insurance?

Mat.

stevie_b
18-02-2010, 00:03
Yes, as Matt says I think this is going to prove difficult. To tax the car you need to show that you own it (tax renewal reminder or V5 in your name are ok, maybe the 'new keeper' slip at the bottom of the V5 would work too, but I'm not sure?) and insured. It's going to be tricky to get them to accept the insurance if it is issued by anyone other than a UK insurer. Could the seller perhaps not tax it for you as part of the sale? I know it will take some trust but he could perhaps return the money to you once you send the tax disc off for a refund (payable to him) when you get back to Malta? Failing that you could always trailer it to the port?

LEIGH-ANNE
18-02-2010, 00:24
Someone in the motor trade are aloud under their own insurance to drive any car even without tax i believe? I could be wrong, maybe u could get (or buy) someones help??

MatBrown
18-02-2010, 00:29
Yes, as Matt says I think this is going to prove difficult. To tax the car you need to show that you own it (tax renewal reminder or V5 in your name are ok, maybe the 'new keeper' slip at the bottom of the V5 would work too, but I'm not sure?) and insured. It's going to be tricky to get them to accept the insurance if it is issued by anyone other than a UK insurer. Could the seller perhaps not tax it for you as part of the sale? I know it will take some trust but he could perhaps return the money to you once you send the tax disc off for a refund (payable to him) when you get back to Malta? Failing that you could always trailer it to the port?

The car isn't in the sellers name either. lol.

Mat.

16v_paddy
18-02-2010, 01:07
I've taxed a car that was in someone elses name but insured temporarily in my name before so not impossible, will probably have to take the documents to the post office before they're filled out :wink:

Since I haven't seen pics of you running naked down the street to prove your excitement at owning the williams, can I see a pic of you with your uzi? :twisted:

white16valver
18-02-2010, 01:59
Could he do that DayInsure thing if he had a UK address to use?

Jaymzfc
18-02-2010, 08:29
The insurance is Maltese but in fact is part of general accident UK and i will also have a green car euro cover so they have to accept it. i'm gonna try and call the DVLA and ask there opinion maybe i might find someone helpful. Other wise if all fails ill have to get trailered to Dover which sucks, but might cost the same as the tax anyhow.

DaneC
18-02-2010, 17:50
I have got caught without tax driving a car I just bought home, just got a £56 fine luckily. Insurance was fine.

MatBrown
18-02-2010, 17:52
I think the fine would depend on the length of time the car has been untaxed.

Mat.

kenny
19-02-2010, 19:14
When do you intend collecting the willy? where are you going from Dover? Just been checking V5 registration doc and there is a different process for the seller and buyer to follow when exporting. Whereas the seller normally retains the majority of the doc, and the buyer retains section 10, the seller noe retains only section 11 and the buyer keeps the rest for export purposes. If you havn't already left, and you pm me your address I will mail you a copy of the relevant points, or pm me your email address and I will scan and send them.

Jaymzfc
19-02-2010, 19:50
Hi Kenny, Tks for the Info but i think i should be ok, Mat's gonna sort things out for me, i'm not gonna risk anything that will jeopardise my trip for a 100 quid or so.
I'll open up a new thread when the journey starts and keep you all posted.

tks again all