PDA

View Full Version : Does stripping out the back affect handling ?

BRUN
21-07-2005, 23:57
as title, if i was to remove the rear seats and parcel shelf, would the lack of weight in the rear cause the back end to slide out easier ?

Martin
22-07-2005, 00:11
only when delibratly (sp) provoked imo why?

VIPERONE
22-07-2005, 00:14
yes it does. :-(

BRUN
22-07-2005, 00:33
im asking cos i was thinking of doing a little weight saving, but not at the expense of the back end being more prone to steppin out, its planted at the moment and id like to keep it that way

clowo16v
22-07-2005, 01:06
Only difference I can feel in mine is if I hit a pot hole half way round a bend the back end tends to get a bit skittish. Otherwise I can't tell the difference. What you will feel is how much faster the car is lol, it doesn't seem like much but it does the trick. Also how much louder it is lol.

See ya

Matt

StevieP
22-07-2005, 06:07
If you strip out the back, and are worried about the back stepping out due to less weight....

Lower the front more...?!

Purple
22-07-2005, 06:50
If you strip out the back, and are worried about the back stepping out due to less weight....

Lower the front more...?!

Thought it was the other way round. Lowering the front will increase front grip and make the tail more snappy.

Another trick - increasing rear tyre pressure will make the handling tend towards understeer. This should also calm the rear down a bit, provided the lightened tail is not too wayward in the first place.

Matt Wills
22-07-2005, 08:02
as title, if i was to remove the rear seats and parcel shelf, would the lack of weight in the rear cause the back end to slide out easier ?

I did it to Stealthy my old 16 Valver and it made the handling a bit more lively....

As long as you've got decent tyres fitted and lower the torsion bar to compensate IMHO you should be OK.

J o n
22-07-2005, 08:11
mine went a touch twitchy when I took the rears out, but nothing you wont be able to handle if you know the car well imo. I found it quite fun and the noise was incredible! :lol:

2 live
22-07-2005, 09:05
u will notice the diff in speed and noise, but the diff in handling is quite minimal

mine is a bit skittish on the back with a full trim in, is only slightly more skittish when its out, adds to the fun tho and is still very predictable and controllable if it does step out a bit too much lol

skipp123
22-07-2005, 11:13
my stripped vts goes full on side ways now iv stripped the interior out major differance, in the dry itl step out with out much pushing and in the wet well its not the best idea to drive it any where lol, came round a roundabout when it was damp and was near enough on full opiset lock trying to get the thing back, its a bit of fun but ****ing scary oh and the mrs dont like it one bit!!!!

Purple
22-07-2005, 11:27
Wet roundabouts, you say :)

1. Slow in
2. Throttle down and accelerate
3. Understeer towards outside
4. Quick throttle lift to switch to oversteer
5. Go back to 2. and repeat until exit.
Heh, not the quickest round but sure is fun.
And, urmm.. don't crash. :D

skipp123
22-07-2005, 12:40
thats exactly the way i do it been very nearly caught out before full on side ways scooby behind was loving it lol

richy
22-07-2005, 19:08
mines totally stripped out(there abouts lol) and it was a little more skittish but still easy controlable, now ive lowered the back end its great, alot of fun

BRUN
22-07-2005, 23:58
well mine is lowered already, i might do it just to see as it takes all of five minutes to remove, got Exalto II's on the back that have only done about 3k

Smokey McPot
23-07-2005, 17:22
Mines been runnning fine the last couple of weeks sans back seats....no noticable difference in handling....

but it is noisier.

dannyt
25-07-2005, 07:16
So is it quite easy to catch the back end when it's into oversteer mode, i take it you should avoid the brakes at all costs and just keep the throttle down?

Also, would it need full throttle or progressive, how can you tell?

I'd love to give it a go on the track but don't want to fly into anyone or a wall!!!!

Oh and how fast in to the corner do I need to be going?

Andy
25-07-2005, 07:30
danny dont come any where near me mate when your trying this lol

no what you people from blackpool are like eh martin :oops:

VIPERONE
25-07-2005, 07:48
lool its easier said then done correcting a spin.. or slide on a roundabout.. especiallly in fully traffc flow.!
needless to say my car is staying unstripped for everyday purposes.
lol

Winston
25-07-2005, 07:49
shit bag :P

Purple
25-07-2005, 09:50
Dannyt;

Takes fair bit of practice but Clio Williams make it easier on the driver. Wide, low speed corners are probably safest to start with. Part-throttle into the corner but lift-off mid-corner to induce oversteer. Most of the time the car will recover by itself but, sometimes, you will need to re-apply throttle (and steering) to straighten the car out. Highly recommend Goodyear F1 tyre for this, as their characteristic tend towards oversteer - while having good response when recovering from oversteer.

Be sensible and don't get too carried away, else you know what will happen. :cry:

Jan
25-07-2005, 10:46
Just do it :D

You will definitely enjoy it and it's all easy to put back 8)

Jan
25-07-2005, 10:46
This is the way forward :lol:

<<<<<<<<

Mark_Ritchspeed
25-07-2005, 10:50
Its very, very easy to drift the Williams or even if you want just to have lurid oversteer. Pretty much the only thing thats needed to balance the slide is the throttle.

Let the car swing around the steering wheel, whilst keeping it pointing in the direction you want to go and apply the throttle where needed to either straighten up or keep the car drifting.

I almost never have any opposite lock dialled in when sliding as its simply not needed.

Purple
25-07-2005, 11:05
Also, the Clio Williams with its incredibly wide turning radius; inducing a small lift-off tail-out is sometimes the only smooth way round some very tight corners. Else, you'll look like a stupid git 3-point turning like you just passed your test yesterday :D

richy
25-07-2005, 13:16
haha just imagine trying to do it in a v6 clio!!!

Zollo
25-07-2005, 22:28
Lift-off oversteer, trail braking, weight transfer.......

Can't wait for Friday :D :D :D

richy
25-07-2005, 22:33
if u see a large pole sticking into sky from back of mine with sparks it becuase it a dodgem car lol :P

Zollo
25-07-2005, 23:22
I think we'll be able to guess who's got the track insurance tomorrow!

Jan
26-07-2005, 08:57
if u see a large pole sticking into sky from back of mine with sparks it becuase it a dodgem car lol :P

:shock: *runs outside to make sure they didn't take out the side impact protection from the williams 1 :shock:

northy
26-07-2005, 09:23
ive taken my rear seats out for this trackday......plus theres more room for beers.

Jan
26-07-2005, 09:30
ive taken my rear seats out for this trackday......plus theres more room for beers.

It begins.... :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
26-07-2005, 09:52
I'll dump mine in the tent on the day.