PDA

View Full Version : What's the best wat to repair a rusty rear arch?

WilliamsII
13-02-2010, 15:27
I'm getting dangerously close to giving my nearside rear arch a good clout to see how much of it is left under the rust/filler ......

Assuming the worst what's the best way to repair it? It's going to be too bad just for filler so the plan is to weld a new bit of arch in and then skim it over to blend in.

Ideally it would be great to get a proper arch repair piece but I don't think you can for the Williams or am I wrong? Alternatively has anyone come across a similar profile arch repair piece from more 'common' cars that could be used?

I've had a quote from my local body man of about £300 which I suppose seems fair enough given the labour involved but given the current low price of Williams's it seems a lot!

Any thoughts or advice appreciated. Thanks.

Wobba
13-02-2010, 16:02
There's a lot of posts about this elsewhere.

£300 seems the going rate per side. Ask them to waxoyl the inside as well when finished!

WilliamsII
13-02-2010, 16:31
I bet there is, trouble is there's so many posts now that I can't find em!!!

MatrixGuy
13-02-2010, 16:49
Make sure they can guarantee the work for at least 1 year. My arch repair last year was a complete waste of time and money!

mossyv6
13-02-2010, 19:13
Had the valver done twice in 6 months, first time they bubbled after 2 weeks. Second time the filler shrunk after 3 weeks.

I found out the hard way and the only way to do it is cut the rusty panel off and weld a new metal section in.