PDA

View Full Version : Noisy engine

CocH1980
12-02-2010, 00:11
Hello all.

Over the past few weeks my williams has developed a noisy knocking and tapperty sound. It started off making this noise when it was cold but now it does it all the time. I noticed it while I was queuing at a maccy d's drive through (I love fast food!) and the engine was well and truely up to temperature. The oil pressure gauge dropps to 0 when idol and only up to 1 when moving. I thought the gauge was just unrealiable but could this be related? It does not drink oil or anything... Its on 103k miles

Also I have to fight with it to get it into 1st and 2nd gear when it is cold! With the clutch fully depressed, when changing from 1st to 2nd it feels like I have pulled it out of gear if you know what I mean... Could it just need the clutch adjusting?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Justin..
12-02-2010, 00:14
Have you checked the oil level on the dipstick ignoring the incar one?

The pressure gauge is far from accurate, if you had pressure the oil warning light would be on

CocH1980
15-02-2010, 02:17
Thanks for that mate, Yep it was a very low but not dangerously. I have topped it up and the noise is not so bad now but still there......

What do you think about the clutch?

Wobba
15-02-2010, 08:49
Thanks for that mate, Yep it was a very low but not dangerously. I have topped it up and the noise is not so bad now but still there......

What do you think about the clutch?

Could be cable, but change the box fluid with some new fluid first. Fluid may be low there as well.

Richy_lt
15-02-2010, 12:29
if it's cable, it would allways shift hard, don't matter if its hot or cold.

sorry for my english.

white16valver
15-02-2010, 15:24
What oil are you running?

When was it last changed?

In this cold weather I'd change to a 5w40 if you're not already running it, although it sounds like it could be due an oil change either way! lol

col
15-02-2010, 20:11
Sounds like a bearing on way out................is your clutch cable properly fixed in position....youll get less travel if its flopping about. :wink:

Wobba
15-02-2010, 21:02
Nah, the tapping is simply sticking hydraulic lifters, either the spings have gone or the oil channels are glooped up with shite, which is likely if you had low oil and haven't serviced it with new oil and filter.

If these basic servicing things are not done you will end up ****ing the engine and box. Bet the coolant bottle looks like someone's taken a shit in it as well right?

CocH1980
16-02-2010, 00:36
Nah, the tapping is simply sticking hydraulic lifters, either the spings have gone or the oil channels are glooped up with shite, which is likely if you had low oil and haven't serviced it with new oil and filter.

If these basic servicing things are not done you will end up f***king the engine and box. Bet the coolant bottle looks like someone's taken a s**t in it as well right?

Ha ha! I will take a look at that tomorrow. The car is due a service, yes. I normally get it done every 6/8 months but it has almost been a year now as Its not used that often. So if its all bunged up with s**t, what do I do about it?

I will have to get someone to look at the clutch as I have no idea what I am looking at.

Wobba
16-02-2010, 00:46
Well, often a good run with a good dose of new oil will cure most tappets, get the oil up to temperature and drive the car a good few miles to help clear it out and allow the tappets to self-prime themselves. If that does not work you can try Forte Top End treatment (Google) and failing that you will need to replace the tappets themselves.

Can buy em for about £65 on Ebay, but if you don'r know anything about fitting them yourself it could be a pain. Do a search here, I did a guide.

white16valver
16-02-2010, 17:34
Question for the experts -

Would it be worth doing an engine flush before putting new oil in?

I didn't think it was but in this example...

busterhymes
16-02-2010, 18:19
Question for the experts -

Would it be worth doing an engine flush before putting new oil in?

I didn't think it was but in this example...

would steer clear of the usual flushing oil but the treatments around that u add to the oil and leave in the system for about 10mins to idle then drop and put a new filter and oil in, as Dan suggests forte or i have used protech which carries TUV approval and seems to keep the oil cleaner for a bit longer also noticed a product called lambda in the renault dealers guess they all do a similar job they are all promoted to get rid of the gum and crap that builds up.
protech do a fuel additive that is supposed to stop further build up occurring

CocH1980
17-02-2010, 05:16
Thanks for the advice guys. I will get a full service done on it ASAP and see what happens. If its still tapperty then I will try your other suggestions.

Many Thanks again.

Purple
17-02-2010, 06:12
On the way to the servicing job, with the engine properly warmed, thrash the engine a bit. Then try to persuade the mechanics to let out the old oil while it's still warm (at least not stone cold). That should rid some of the gummy stuff.

white16valver
17-02-2010, 09:40
I turned up at Angelworks after an hour of flat out driving - he appreciated that when it came to dropping the oil LoL :lol: