PDA

View Full Version : What are your long term plans for your Williams?

Tommo
10-02-2010, 14:30
After reading how long some people on here have owned their Williams from Mat Browns thread and reading Wobbas plans, I'm interested to know what long term plans you have for your Williams. How long are you keeping if for, what future mods are you planning? Maybe it's just a short project you intend to sell after completion? Maybe mods aren't planned and you want to keep it standard and minty mint? Or you are building a track beast you intend to use for many years? Let us know...

LEIGH-ANNE
10-02-2010, 15:47
LOL You been hanging round jamie for too long :wink:

Im intending on making a slag out of my 2 and making the 1 minty mint! It has been long on my mind what to do with the pair of them but decided now and i cant wait

Not planning on selling either of them tbh - I will just store one and TRY and forget about it if i end up wanting another car

:wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
10-02-2010, 16:17
I'd like another Willy... but think a 172 exclusive is a better option, then I'll have a plaque and no rust ;)

deluded :roll:

Lunner
10-02-2010, 16:26
keep mine till i can afford a 650i, or an M6

talkingfish
10-02-2010, 17:26
once the engine is back in it should make it pretty close to concours standard... have no intention of ever selling... I'm quite happy in the knowledge I've one of the better examples of a Willy 1 remaining... it will probably get used less as time goes on....

engine will have to be re-built at some point in the next few years - may look at cams then (no-one can see them!) and it won't detract from my orginality!!

Wobba
10-02-2010, 17:45
Decided finally Leighanne? Good :)

Talkingfish: Good plan, should be really nice car before long.

For me: Currently I am undergoing the final stages for my power plans (for now). After having the suspension geometry sorted, I will be having fun in it during summer at track days, meets shows etc. Then assuming I haven't written it off, it will be bodywork time.

Wheels are mint already, but a few minor dents and scratches have appeared of late, and rust is coming through on the rear arches from a botched repair a few months before I bought the car. May have the sills done a well at the same time. I can't justify a full respray just yet.

Long term: Garage the car for fun-days, buy and commute in a car I don't care about much, keeping the Willy as a future classic.

Tommo
10-02-2010, 17:58
I always thought I’d sell after 5 years ownership but now that time has come I can’t let go!

My long term plan now is to keep the Williams for another few years as a road car and use it on the track every now and again, then buy another car and use it purely for track and car shows. Will prob need some money spent on it by then so will have the engine, gearbox, diff and suspension refurbed (stan), any bits on the bodywork done and get some nice bits for track work (bucket seats, CF bonnet Toyo R888's etc.) no point in messing with anything at this point as it's been so reliable the last few years (why fix it if it aint broke?) anyway it's plenty fast enough for the road tbh and still mint, would maybe like some ITB's in the future for when it's a dedicated track car, but that's a long time away...

Warby
10-02-2010, 18:29
We don't ever intend selling our williams 2, had it just over 8 years, done loads of driving holidays to france, scotland, wales and both of us still love it every time we take it for a drive!

Its never been crashed, has all original paint and we got it in a small feature in classic cars last year which was good! I've just had the gearbox reconditioned and done some other work on the engine (all original),only put the engine back in last night! I'll put some pictures up in the next few weeks.

I intend trying to get one properly featured in classic cars this year, I've spoken to the editor about it and I'm really going to push for it! About time!!

MatrixGuy
10-02-2010, 18:37
Not sure if i will be keeping mine, i would love too but i have spent a fortune on her already.

Need a new left rear quarter panel, suspension needs new parts (it's shagged), wheels need refurbing, rust on driver side arch needs sorting.

Wobba
10-02-2010, 20:05
Not sure if i will be keeping mine, i would love too but i have spent a fortune on her already.

Need a new left rear quarter panel, suspension needs new parts (it's shagged), wheels need refurbing, rust on driver side arch needs sorting.

Trick is, one thing at a time.

Suspension is cheap and easy to fit mate.

Wheels really make the car stand out and help distract people from rust.

Paint and arch by itself isn't that painful.

vkosho
10-02-2010, 21:01
Im keeping mine as standard as possible apart from the engine. Im currently saving for a rebuild and headwork.

The bodywork is pretty solid but it still needs a new sill so il try and sort that too after winter. Willy is currently my only car so its getting hammered at the moment. id like to keep it as a second car idealy.

Long term plans are for cams and ITB's maybe when i get a fat wadd one day. Currently just dreams though. :lol:

And no im never going to sell it. Even if im poor and homeless il just live in it if thats the case.

Coops
10-02-2010, 22:34
kill it................. :twisted:

Carole Anne
10-02-2010, 23:47
kill it................. :twisted:

Shut it Gollum!!!!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/IMG_94732.jpg

I am going down the minty mint route :)

And never ever selling my precious :lol:

2 live
11-02-2010, 00:36
lmao^^

had a few bits off that.

it kept another on the road if nowt else.

wasnt mine tho btw. no. 148.

Coops
11-02-2010, 01:10
this ones going same way i think, cast into the firey casm from whence it came ;-)

rob-legend
11-02-2010, 01:18
After four years of owning it? I'm killing mine next month :(

Tommo
11-02-2010, 11:07
Bloody ell coops you're getting as bad as Mat Brown :wink:

simonr85
11-02-2010, 11:09
lmao^^

had a few bits off that.

it kept another on the road if nowt else.

wasnt mine tho btw. no. 148.

i had quite a few parts from that aswell 8)

11-02-2010, 14:27
I've been told this is my home for good..... which I am happy about as
I'm very comfortable here. :D

Regards 0014

kenny
11-02-2010, 15:48
To keep it on the road and drive it :wink:

fasterthanjesus
11-02-2010, 21:27
plans.

ayres rock.

sydney harbour bridge.

but first, get it past the dastardly regency roadworthiness test.

Red_Dash
11-02-2010, 22:39
My 50,000 mile Williams 1 is in the process of getting a full detail and resto at the moment. It's being kept as original as possible apart from a few mild changes to keep rust at bay. I'm under no illusions that this is going to take me a couple of years to complete, not because there's an enormous amount of work to do but I don't have a great amount of time to spend on it.

It's not going to be used much when done, but I'm going to keep it for a long time as the Williams was always the car I drooled over when I went into the local Renault dealership and saw the one they had in the showroom. I've had it for 11 years now so I've no plans on selling it. BTW it's #46 :D

I still want a Williams 3 to restore though as Monaco blue always was, and still is, my favourite colour ;)

2 live
11-02-2010, 23:58
will have to have a ride over to see it sometime mate. im not far off southport.

Carole Anne
12-02-2010, 00:01

:( yours must be one of the only ones in Teesside.

Red_Dash
12-02-2010, 09:16
will have to have a ride over to see it sometime mate. im not far off southport.

You're more than welcome. Let me know when you've got some free time to come over and I'll PM you my address.

Cheers,
Dave

Tommo
12-02-2010, 09:27
My cousin has just moved to Southport, will be seeing her soon, I'd like a look over it while I'm there too?

Red_Dash
12-02-2010, 10:19
My cousin has just moved to Southport, will be seeing her soon, I'd like a look over it while I'm there too?

There's not a lot to see at the moment as it's currently being stripped but, again, you're more than welcome :)

rob-legend
12-02-2010, 20:03

:( yours must be one of the only ones in Teesside.

I know, I don't want too, but I've got nowhere to store it and the box is dead :(

djtlane
12-02-2010, 20:52
Us old farts consider them a modern classic, keep 'em nice and they will become a must have for the mid-life crisis. I have had 205 gti's, a GT turbo, ZX volcane and a few others too. The Willy is without doubt the best hot hatch I have ever driven - look after them the good ones will soon be going up in value.

Wobba
12-02-2010, 22:19
Us old farts consider them a modern classic, keep 'em nice and they will become a must have for the mid-life crisis. I have had 205 gti's, a GT turbo, ZX volcane and a few others too. The Willy is without doubt the best hot hatch I have ever driven - look after them the good ones will soon be going up in value.

:goodposting: