PDA

View Full Version : Pulley/Cambelt issue

Wobba
07-02-2010, 16:03
Right, had a vibration for ages which gets worse as the car gets warmer. I remember after the engine was put in ithere was a whining noise from the engine, belt side. I slackened off the cambelt and it seemed a bit better for a time...

...Nowadays it is getting warm and there is a tinny vibration and still a slight whine (I think the remaining whine is aux belt/pulley related). I suspected the cambelt had been slackened off too much and was allowing the belt to vibrate on the pulleys and causing it. Today I tightened the belt with about 2 extra turns of the M6 bolt you use at the back on the tensioner pulley then tightened the pulley.

I just went for a test drive, there is a much louder whine but it's basically the same as the tinny vibration noise but at a higher octave, as if all the belt has done is put more tension on a dodgy pulley.

I use a megane 714 block with the slightly different oil pump pulley. Anyone have experience of this?

I want to sort it obviously as I keep thinking my belts gonna snap!

Wobba
07-02-2010, 21:22
Well Wobba, it's probably a tensioner pulley or the mid section pulley that my have been duff from the factory. Did you spin them and check them before putting them on?

Also, if the belt was over tight when you first had it set up, it could have damaged a pulley.

Best bet to be sure is replace the cambelt and all three replaceable pulleys. If the whining noise is still there, slacken off the aux belt and run car on battery and see if you can still hear it, if not something is not happy there either.

Wobba
07-02-2010, 21:25
Well Wobba, it's probably a tensioner pulley or the mid section pulley that my have been duff from the factory. Did you spin them and check them before putting them on?

Also, if the belt was over tight when you first had it set up, it could have damaged a pulley.

Best bet to be sure is replace the cambelt and all three replaceable pulleys. If the whining noise is still there, slacken off the aux belt and run car on battery and see if you can still hear it, if not something is not happy there either.

Cheers mate! I tested the pulleys when I put them on, seemed ok :(

Have you had this issue yourself?

I think I may try doing the pulleys for now and check timing.

Wobba
07-02-2010, 21:26

Yes mate, have the exact same problem as you currently. I've decided to replace everything, just to be sure. Pulleys are cheap, it's the fitting that's a pain in the arse.

Good luck Wobba!

Wobba
07-02-2010, 21:28

Yes mate, have the exact same problem as you currently. I've decided to replace everything, just to be sure. Pulleys are cheap, it's the fitting that's a pain in the arse.

Good luck Wobba!

Well, thanks for the help dude! I'll let you know how it goes :D

Wobba
07-02-2010, 21:29

Good luck Wobba!

Well, thanks for the help dude! I'll let you know how it goes :D

np

richy
07-02-2010, 21:37
lol

id try what wobba said wobba, looks like he knows what he is on about..........

Wobba
07-02-2010, 21:40
lol

id try what wobba said wobba, looks like he knows what he is on about..........

Helpful bloke I'd say!

richy
07-02-2010, 21:49
id agree lol

anyhow, have you tried slackening the cambelt and feeling if the idle pulleys bearings feel rough/loose when spinning them

def not worth the risk running it if it is the cambelt idle pulleys on there way out, dont need it failing tbh

Wobba
07-02-2010, 22:54
id agree lol

anyhow, have you tried slackening the cambelt and feeling if the idle pulleys bearings feel rough/loose when spinning them

def not worth the risk running it if it is the cambelt idle pulleys on there way out, dont need it failing tbh

Problem is I have very limited time due to work and that would potentially mean doing the whole timing again as when slackening the belt the cams are likely to lose their position, forced out of place by the valves on the cam lobes, plus there is no point unless I have a whole new timing kit here and tensioner pulley.

As it's going to Stans in about a month I think I will hold off as he will have to take the cambelt off anyway for what's planned.

Wobba
08-02-2010, 13:17
Just to update for future generations: the rattling has gone, so in a way what I did was correct, however the whine is persistent and louder. I am sure this is a case of a duff pulley on the cambelt. they will, shortly all be replaced.

schakal
08-02-2010, 13:22
fokkinn lololollololololoolll :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wobba
08-02-2010, 13:43
Just to update for future generations: the rattling has gone, so in a way what I did was correct, however the whine is persistent and louder. I am sure this is a case of a duff pulley on the cambelt. they will, shortly all be replaced.

Thanks Wobba. Tell us how you get on mate ;)

LEIGH-ANNE
08-02-2010, 17:03
i suggest u dont drink again dan :lol: