PDA

View Full Version : Coolant system high pressure and blowing off bottom rad hose

smokey
04-02-2010, 02:09
Mrs has a Mk1 1.9D on 65k ish!

Around last may driving from Cambridge to Newcastle her HG failed and was towed home by the AA

Her hubby at the time who works in the motor trade got a 'friend' to replace her HG for her!
I do not know if the water pump was replaced or not and not really in a position to find out as he's still a bit bitter that i stole his Mrs :twisted:

Anyway, since the HG has been replaced last May the bottom radiator hose has popped off probably 5 or 6 times and dropped all of her coolant on the road! As well as annoying it is getting expensive keep filling it back up with Type D every time!

So the last time it did it I used 2 jubilee clips and it seems to off worked :D

Now we have a different problem in that after we have been for a drive, usually shopping or if she has been to visit her mum I will check her coolant level and quite often the expansion tank is bone dry!

Unscrewing the cap releases masses of air, gurgling and bubbling then eventually the tank starts to fill up again!!

There is no mayo under the oil cap and no leaks as far as I am aware!

Any ideas where to start problem solving on this one?

Thanks

MAXIBOY
04-02-2010, 02:35
sounds like there is either an air lock or the head gasket was done incorrectly..

but i would start by bleeding the water though very well first..

smokey
05-02-2010, 04:41
Cheers nate, will give it another go as soon as she has the car back!!

Like a morgue in here these days, whats happened to the place??

schakal
05-02-2010, 08:55
sounds to me like the head was warped but have not been
skimmed before fitting . hence compression is getting into
the cooling system over pressurizing it . not good :?

smokey
06-02-2010, 02:50
Turns out the cylinder head is cracked!

Easy job or better off swapping engine's as een offered one parctically free?

16v_paddy
06-02-2010, 03:57
I'd swap the engine, just replace all the usual stuff on the new engine for peace of mind