PDA

View Full Version : now willy but need advice please

Tuccy
24-01-2010, 16:39
hey guys my willy is off the road at the min for a full strip down restoration,

ive just heard that there is a naples valver not far from me all parked up and neglected, from what i believe the owner hasnt much interest in it because it snapped the timing belt :(

whats the usual damage to valves, pistins etc with these wee engines when the belt snaps???

im trying to get a contact no for the guy at the mo to see if he would sell it, hopefully cheap,

if its the worst what would a decent 2nd hand head cost me for the car??

i dont think its taxed or mot`d and believe its a 1996
from what im told its in quite good condition otherwise
what would you expect to pay for it??????

am tempted to buy it to use while the willy is laid up..

any opinion or input mush appreciated
cheers
Thomas

16v_paddy
24-01-2010, 16:52
Depends in what circumstances the belt snapped, if it was being driven at the time then the chances of it having battered pistons & valves are much higher.
If it snapped when starting the car up you could be lucky & have no internal damage

For an F7P you're looking at about £50-150 depending on age/condition etc, some people even scrap perfectly good ones as well, but all in all F7P's aren't expensive

PM Cliolord, he bought a valver with a snapped cam belt off a bloke that bought an engine off me to replace the 1 with a snapped belt. He put a new belt on to see if it worked & it did, I don't know if he got the spare engine off the other bloke though. If he has, he might sell it. I put a new clutch cam belt & water pump on that lump & used it for about 5 months before I took it out so might save you a few quid in the long run as the expensive & important bits have already been done

Tuccy
24-01-2010, 17:01
cheers 16v paddy

im not sure of the circumstances of the belt snap yet,

still trying to get a friend to contact his friend who knows a guy who knows the owner lol to get contact details..

if i got it cheap enough and the head was buggered id try get another 2nd hand head to throw on it..

do any other heads work on valvers .ie megane etc???

unfortunately willys and valvers are alot rarer over here so sourcing parts can be fun...not :cry:

16v_paddy
24-01-2010, 17:24
Can make a meggy head work I reckon but might be more difficult sourcing the parts to make it work properly.

I think you can do it with a williams head but I think it causes fuelling problems.
A head fron any F7P will fit fine & work, R19 16v for example. Problem is, if the head is buggered the pistons could be as well

volymmannen
24-01-2010, 17:45
this happens
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/volymmannen/krokigaventiler.jpg

volymmannen
24-01-2010, 17:47
I only replaced the valves, works fine