PDA

View Full Version : Wheel nut broken off

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 22:21
My MOT revealed that one of my wheel nuts broke off leaving the thread part of the nut stuck where it shouldn't be.

Can the thread part of the nut be removed somehow?

If not, what is the name of the part it will be stuck in (looks like a round, silver plate behind the wheel - is that the 'disk'?).

As you can tell, I'm only starting to learn anything about car mechanics so please don't flame me.

Assuming I can't get the nut out, what do I need to order and how much will it cost to re-fit? Thanks.

Wobba
23-01-2010, 23:47
My MOT revealed that one of my wheel nuts broke off leaving the thread part of the nut stuck where it shouldn't be.

Can the thread part of the nut be removed somehow?

If not, what is the name of the part it will be stuck in (looks like a round, silver plate behind the wheel - is that the 'disk'?).

As you can tell, I'm only starting to learn anything about car mechanics so please don't flame me.

Assuming I can't get the nut out, what do I need to order and how much will it cost to re-fit? Thanks.

Ok Gabriel, we know you are good at fighting werewolves and vampires...not so hot with Clio's though :D

Probably best to post stuff like this in the 'Mechanicals' section mate.

But...snapped wheel nuts are common, don't panic :) Can be easy to remove usually.

The big round plate that the bolt goes into initially IS the brake disc, yes:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC01271.jpg

There is another plate behind it that the wheel bolt screws into, this is the stub axle:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC009801.jpg

Depending on how the bolt snapped and how much length you have of the bolt in the hole depends on how hard this will be to remove.

You may find if you look that the end of the bolt slightly overshoots the back of the stub axle, and you can get to it with a small pair of mole grips and turn it. Once loose it's quite easy to get out, so don't worry, you can turn it easily with a spike till you can grip it and do it by hand. Job done.

if it is really stuck then DO NOT belt it with a screwdriver as this may damage the threads. If it is stuck the remove the brake caliper (2 bolts on the stub axle at the back) and remove the brake disc. This may expose the the end of the bolt and then it's easy with mole grips, if not then it is possible to use an electric drill in reverse. Be careful of the threads though! this will probably make the broken bolt come out due to the twisting action of the drill anyway. Job done.

Any probs let me know.

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 23:59
Thanks Wobba. You're one of the few people who explain basic car mechanics in a way that non-mechanical minded people can understand. I'll try to post in the correct section in future.

northy
24-01-2010, 00:10
can the mot garage not do this for you and issue u a pass

LEIGH-ANNE
24-01-2010, 00:25
As above really. Why didnt the mot garage say dont worry it is fixable?

schakal
24-01-2010, 00:36
while we are at it can we stick with the correct terminology ??
its a wheel BOLT !!!!! not a nut *FBJS :?

*= for baby jesus` sake :P

16v_paddy
24-01-2010, 10:19
As above really. Why didnt the mot garage say dont worry it is fixable?

Probably trying to screw a few quid out of him to "fix" it :roll: but do as wobba said :wink: it's more than likely you'll be able to get hold of it & undo it by hand when you take the disc & whatnot off

glyn211269
26-01-2010, 01:42
Owning a Williams with little mechanical knowledge must be a bit like commiting suicide!! :-O

Good luck, you're going to need it!!! ;-)

col
26-01-2010, 18:03
I think wobba was born with a spanner in his hand ,an a broom up his arse.

the first doesnt need explaining ,but the broom............to sweep the rust up after hes dismantled everything :lol: