PDA

View Full Version : Gearstick markings lifespan

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 22:08
The gearknob on the Williams I bought is a nice clean example, but all the white markings have completely wiped off. My rather unusual question is how long does it take for the markings to wipe off with normal driving?

I'm asking because I've just bought a new one but I cost nearly £50 so I want to know whether to permanently swap it for normal use or swap it over when showing / selling the car.

Also, how easy is it to swap over?

robi1000
23-01-2010, 23:06
I think gear knob is glued, so I'm not sure if you could swap between them on daily basis. Don't know about markings, because I've never seen a clio with them other then on a photo. To be honest, I didn't even know there were supposed to be numbers on the knob for about half a year after I bought my Willy. So probably they don't last very long in showroom condition.

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 23:14
I see. I guess a plain blue topped gearknob is common then? If the markings only last a year I won't bother swaping (no point paying £50 a year for what I already know).

I hoped that people had an experience where their marking faded slowly after a decade or only after using some chemical cleaners / degreasers etc.

northy
24-01-2010, 00:04
change gear without using the knob - will last for ages then

Jamie.
24-01-2010, 00:06
I think my old 3 had a new one when I got it, or a newish one as the markings were still very clear. When sold, 3.5 years later they were slightly faded but more than acceptable after 20k.

GabrielKnight
24-01-2010, 00:08
Fearing the QI anticipated answer siren:

How?

Wobba
24-01-2010, 00:08
Also, you can, if I recall correctly, swap the blue top bit without having to hack the old gearknob off.

It is glued on, usually very firmly! Can make quite a mess before you have the old one off, use caution when cutting!

richy
24-01-2010, 00:10
maybe pop the blue cap out and get it laquered at a bodyshop so it will never rub off

GabrielKnight
24-01-2010, 00:15
Trying to take the knob off my mk1 was a farce. It took so long to cut down to the stick I was about ready to trash the car <jk> but the cambelt beat me to it.

I'd love to know if there's a way to just swap the blue top over. It would potentially save hours.

northy
24-01-2010, 00:18
slide a screw driver down the side and prise of the plastic cap.

As im sure your aware - the older GENUINE knobs last alot longer than new ones from renault.

GabrielKnight
24-01-2010, 00:20
maybe pop the blue cap out and get it laquered at a bodyshop so it will never rub off

Edward de Bono solution! Good idea, but I'm certainly NOT going to fall into the trap of asking if anyone has got their knob laquered yet!

northy
24-01-2010, 00:21

haha im not the only one who does that then :wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
24-01-2010, 00:22
My blue bit pops out on a regular basis...very annoying!

Wobba
24-01-2010, 00:24

Edward de Bono solution! Good idea, but I'm certainly NOT going to fall into the trap of asking if anyone has got their knob laquered yet!

lol

GabrielKnight
24-01-2010, 00:26

As im sure your aware - the older GENUINE knobs last alot longer than new ones from renault.

Didn't know this, no. When did they change the quality from 'genuine' to 'new'? I was already cheesed off to spend nearly £50 on a £6 gearknob, but now I feel truly arse-raped. Thank you Renault : )

Wobba
24-01-2010, 00:26
My blue bit pops out on a regular basis...very annoying!

Not the only thing that pops out or so I hear :D

Mine did too before I replaced the entire gear shift system.

northy
24-01-2010, 00:34

Didn't know this, no. When did they change the quality from 'genuine' to 'new'? I was already cheesed off to spend nearly £50 on a £6 gearknob, but now I feel truly arse-raped. Thank you Renault : )

sorry genuine as in orginal to the car

GabrielKnight
24-01-2010, 00:35
I'm not expecting anything on my new piece to 'pop out' but I'll ram a screwdriver into my knob until I can see what comes loose.

<"That's enough cheap knob gags" - Forum mod>

talkingfish
24-01-2010, 12:12
the original ones are leather, the replacement ones are a rather poor plastic copy... a people have said, just replace the blue bit....

Smokey McPot
24-01-2010, 19:18
I put a childs shower cap on mine. Fresh.

col
24-01-2010, 19:28
If you want it to really last, have it etched by an engraver then fill in with paint.....job done! :wink:

white16valver
25-01-2010, 18:48
Mine just falls out - it's in the car somewhere... lol

GabrielKnight
25-01-2010, 19:08
the original ones are leather, the replacement ones are a rather poor plastic copy... a people have said, just replace the blue bit....

Damn, didn't know that. Does an original leather one turn up for sale from tie to time and what sort of price does it command?