PDA

View Full Version : Think I want to decat

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 21:49
I'm thinking of getting a decat, almost completely to improve the exhaust sound. It seems to be a good compromise between keeping things standard and fitting an 'uprated' exhaust system, but as usual I don't really know what I'm doing. :oops:

1. Anyone have / heard a decat on an otherwise standard Willy?
Does it sound the same but louder (how much louder?) or does it sound better / worse?
I want it to sound like a good sports exhaust that turns heads but not wake up the village. My Clio mk1 exhaust broke in the middle last year and got me pulled over within a week. Will a decat be as loud as cutting the exhaust off half way?!

2. How is the cat and decat disconnected / reconnected each time? Is it just a plug and play bolt on or need welding each time?

3. How much should a decat cost (probly want an emptied out cat to keep things looking standard) and how much would kwik-fit (I know, but I've found a good one) charge to swap it over each time?

Wobba
24-01-2010, 00:18
Performance tuning for this one mate.

I have a decat, of course :)

Noise: It will be louder. It will pop and bang more, which I love. Mines F*KCING loud, but then I have a straight through system with no silencing apart from an old pretty pointless backbox. It passed sound emissions at Brands Hatch though so it's fine.

It will NOT be as loud as missing half your exhaust, I know from experience ;)

You don't need to weld anything. the CAT is held on with 4 screws and 4 bolts. Yours may be rusted solid, this can be a pain as you have to saw or dremel them off. Use eye protection for this or you'll end up half blind with rust and dirt in the eye otherwise.

There are small thin and utterly crap gaskets on the CAT. Don't bother with them, get some high temperature silicone gasket sealant instead. LET THE SEALANT DRY, this is especially important if you put the CAT back on for the MOT as otherwise you can just blow the seals and have a blowing exhaust for ages, or damage your CAT.

You will noticeably lose low down torque when losing your CAT, but gain top end pulling power and you'll get some interesting new noises ;)

Smokey McPot
24-01-2010, 12:00
I have a standard exhaust with de cat. Its not noticably louder than with the cat still attached.

It blows like a mother****er at the moment however, as Wobba said those gaskets are crap.