PDA

View Full Version : Willy kangaroos when cold

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 21:26
For the first 3 minutes or so, while driving sensibly to let the oil heat up, I start to accelerate slowly then the power seems to be missing, then comes back jolting the car forward. It only seems to happen for a few minutes after starting (stops before the oil has significantly heated up) esp in 1st and 2nd.

It also seems to struggle then over-rev then struggle when idling.

What are the first things I should look at?

fasterthanjesus
23-01-2010, 22:13
i would have thought i would have been the only owner to suffer with kangaroos? :?

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 22:25
Strewth mate.

Wobba
23-01-2010, 22:34
Your description is exactly like that of a car with manual choke when it is cold and the choke is out.

Probably overfuelling due to lambda or 5th injector. Could try a new CTS in the thermohousing (£10). Mines not that bad at all, though I never just start and drive in this weather as it does not like it :)

GabrielKnight
23-01-2010, 23:24
Your description is exactly like that of a car with manual choke when it is cold and the choke is out.

Probably overfuelling due to lambda or 5th injector. Could try a new CTS in the thermohousing (£10). Mines not that bad at all, though I never just start and drive in this weather as it does not like it :)

Thanks, I've PM'd you for details re lambda & injector.

Problem happens in all weather. Was idling badly when I bought it 8 months ago. Def seems like fuel / air mix problem. One other thing that happens that might be related: I'd come up to a 30mph car, then totally floor the Clio to overtake, only to find again that the engine is devoid of power, searches for a long second, then finds the power and lurches foward at full power.

Car is otherwise fine at very fast consistent motorway speed, albeit at more than twice the fuel cost of my 1.2mk1.

Wobba
24-01-2010, 00:20

Thanks, I've PM'd you for details re lambda & injector.

Problem happens in all weather. Was idling badly when I bought it 8 months ago. Def seems like fuel / air mix problem. One other thing that happens that might be related: I'd come up to a 30mph car, then totally floor the Clio to overtake, only to find again that the engine is devoid of power, searches for a long second, then finds the power and lurches foward at full power.

Car is otherwise fine at very fast consistent motorway speed, albeit at more than twice the fuel cost of my 1.2mk1.

Replied.

Poor idling could be dirty ISCV. Serach on forums for 'idle problems'.

Lunner
26-01-2010, 13:02
I had identical problems when i got mine, was a dodgy lambda sensor

LEIGH-ANNE
26-01-2010, 21:06
Did u get this sorted mate?

Have u checked..Lambda, Leads, Plugs, CTS, ECU, Dizzi cap, Rotor arm?

Surely the car must be unbearable? Undrivable even? :?

schakal
26-01-2010, 21:11
Did u get this sorted mate?

Have u checked..Lambda, Leads, Plugs, CTS, ECU, Dizzi cap, Rotor arm?

Surely the car must be unbearable? Undrivable even? :?

after all this abuse , i doubt he would come back
on here to reply tbqfh with you MATE :wink: