PDA

View Full Version : Battery light flashing

16v_paddy
22-01-2010, 19:48
Over the last 2 days my battery light has been intermittantly flashing, it's turned my stereo off a couple of times & cut out once.

Since I haven't got a voltmeter & not much chance of getting hold of 1 well into next week, I'm asking here
Could it be a loose connection somewhere, is my alternator on it's way out (again :roll: :x ) or is my shiney new battery fooked?

Wobba
22-01-2010, 20:01
Over the last 2 days my battery light has been intermittantly flashing, it's turned my stereo off a couple of times & cut out once.

Since I haven't got a voltmeter & not much chance of getting hold of 1 well into next week, I'm asking here
Could it be a loose connection somewhere, is my alternator on it's way out (again :roll: :x ) or is my shiney new battery fooked?

Probably alternator but check the connections at the back and the battery terminal connections.

ThRaXaIR
22-01-2010, 20:40
i got the same problem brewing i think was hoping it wasnt my alternator! :(

Wobba
22-01-2010, 21:05
Well, this weather we are having and being dark a lot puts a lot of strain on the electrical system and if it's gonna go, it will be during this time. Mine started going and I replaced it before total failure not long ago.

16v_paddy
22-01-2010, 21:05
I was sort of hoping it was the battery at fault as it'll be free to fix it :lol:

ThRaXaIR
22-01-2010, 21:27
i'm checking it over tomorrow...but i had only just connected the battery back up for MOT so im hoping something just isnt tightened up. also my battery is almost only 1 yr old.

col
22-01-2010, 22:15
First off check your alternater belt ,it could be slipping ?

schakal
22-01-2010, 22:28
happened to quite a lot of people including myself in the
last few weeks due to severe cold etc .
its the alternator ,bang a new one on there :D

p.s : have fun :P

Jamie.
22-01-2010, 22:33
When my alternator went the battery light used to go on and off. Over time it would only go away at higher revs.

16v_paddy
22-01-2010, 22:43
First off check your alternater belt ,it could be slipping ?

Nah it's lovely & tight, I'll have a play with the connections & what not to see if that stops it

It's the alternator off my old engine, worked perfectly for nearly 3 years, maybe now is just it's time to kick the bucket :roll:

LEIGH-ANNE
23-01-2010, 01:32
Definatly alternator Dan fixed mine :D :D

16v_paddy
23-01-2010, 01:45
Starting to wish I bought that brand new 1 I found that was listed slightly wrong on ebay for £30 when the other 1 died :evil:

Tucks
23-01-2010, 09:47
Mines intermitantly coming on,goes out when I tap the alternator with somthing ( Hit fairly hard ) I FFS everytime it comes on!

col
23-01-2010, 20:20
If it is the alternator,.....for most you can get the brushes for them,....tap alty with hammer an see if light goes out.

Usually as the brushes wear they stick :wink:

Tuccy
23-01-2010, 20:43
Yeah mine went a while back, i was able to get
brushes/regulater unit from my local car electrics store for a fraction of the price of a new altinator

also worth checking the bearings while you have it out, i done mine anyways
saved myself a few bob :@)

col
23-01-2010, 20:59
Yea just like over here tuccy,.....we like to save a few bob where we can :D

16v_paddy
24-01-2010, 10:45
Here's the latest :lol:

After work yesterday morning, I was driving along with the stereo off & all was well with the car for about 5-6 miles. So I decided to put the stereo on, was fine for about 3 miles. As I pulled into a garage for some jungle juice, the light started going ballistic & the stereo switched off, it also cut out when I put the clutch in but I bumped it back in. As the stereo came back on the light started flashing again so turned the stereo off and then the car.

This is the very strange bit, as I turned the key there was a really loud & constant beep :shock: so I started the car back up & it carried on, turned the car off & it was still going. I tried to find where it was coming from, it seemed to be coming from behind the dash on the passenger side when it suddenly stopped :? I've never had this noise before so I've got no idea WTF it is.

Wait, there's more :roll: ..........

....I get my fuel, go pay for it, come back to the car, key in the ignition, lights come on, turn it to start, gets half a turn of the starter motor and everything dies :shock: I mean completely dead, no power to anything in the whole car, interior lights, ignition lights, the clock nothing :x :?

So I open the bonnet, have a twiddle with the battery connections, swear at it, punch the battery, smack the alternator, swear some more, close the bonnet & try again. Same thing, completely dead.
Cue lots of loud swaering, punching the steering wheel, woman behind the counter in the petrol station getting scared & thinking of calling the po-po.

I then try again, lo and behold I have ignition lights and she fires up 1st time no problem :?

It now drives perfectly fine, with no flashing battery light as long as the stereo is off. So, is my problem still the alternator or could it be something more sinister like wiring? I can't find any loose or dodgy connections anywhere and I still haven't managed to get my hands on a voltmeter so I'm still in the dark as to what's going off

16v_paddy
24-01-2010, 13:19
I've managed to "liberate" a voltmeter from someone at work 8)

Tested the battery & it's giving a healthy 12.64 volts, with the engine on it's reading a healthy & constant 14.43 volts :?

confused.****ingcom is a slight understatement right now :evil:

:dontknow:

richy
24-01-2010, 16:36
does the charge stay at around 13.8v - 14.4v when you switch all your consumers on ie radio/heaters/heated screen/lights etc

if it holds then id say chances are the alternator is ok unless its regulater/diode pack is being a arse! other then that id check all connections are tight, no crust from wires corroded or poor earthing etc etc

16v_paddy
24-01-2010, 16:59
Yeah, it stayed at 14.41 instead of 14.43 with everything switched on.

I know that the wires are all fine along with the earths and they're all connected. I tidied up & cleaned all the connecting bits of the whole loom before I put the engine back in

What's the crack with the regulator/diode pack, can it be changed or is it a replacement alternator jobbie?

richy
24-01-2010, 17:13
Yeah, it stayed at 14.41 instead of 14.43 with everything switched on.

I know that the wires are all fine along with the earths and they're all connected. I tidied up & cleaned all the connecting bits of the whole loom before I put the engine back in

What's the crack with the regulator/diode pack, can it be changed or is it a replacement alternator jobbie?

they can normally be replaced if you can find the parts needed, it might be easyier although cost more to just replace the alternator, the brush's may be worn excessively as with the slip rings, in that case better off with a new alternator imo

volymmannen
24-01-2010, 17:40
it sounds like its only bad connection to the battery..

col
24-01-2010, 19:16
Or ignition switch playing up...........when you start up twist the key a little left to right an see if ign light plays up........i had that happen on a fiat croma ages ago.....goes back to bad connections etc....check coil connections also.

FATBOY
30-01-2010, 22:11
mine is playing up!!! i need a new alternator! wheres the cheapest place? and has anyone got a part number?

Wobba
31-01-2010, 00:04
mine is playing up!!! i need a new alternator! wheres the cheapest place? and has anyone got a part number?

Got a valver one from GSF on exchange. They give you £30 or so back, after a basic cost of about £125 ish.

Can get Valeo 110 amp as well but ones I have seen you need to splice the connector to make it work.

16v_paddy
31-01-2010, 00:15
Just to update on mine, it's fixed itself :?

schakal
31-01-2010, 01:15
Just to update on mine, it's fixed itself :?

just for now :wink:
start looking for a brush box imo :D