PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a Willy

doddy182
20-01-2010, 00:43
Alright guys, long time fan of the Williams and possibly looking to downsize a bit from my Mk1 Focus RS. Just wanted to hear what you guys had to say, obviously you all love them but what are they like practically and for reliability? I'm looking to spend about £3k and want a decent motor that isn't going to be a lot of trouble looking after apart from the general stuff. The Focus is a bit of a beast and im not looking for something to compare performance wise but still something shifty like the Williams. I love the the style of it, inside and out and the gold wheels are inspired!

Any opinions and advice all welcomed! Cheers all

Andy

16v_paddy
20-01-2010, 02:07
Welcome mate 8)

Best person to speak to on here is PaulAcko, he's got a Focus RS and a hybrid clio :wink:

Purple
20-01-2010, 03:34
want a decent motor that isn't going to be a lot of trouble looking after apart from the general stuff.

Generally, they need a bit more care than modern cars. But not much of a problem if you are a fairly competent mechanic (or can get a good one). Anything else that requires specialty knowledge; this site should be your first port of call.

doddy182
20-01-2010, 17:17
Nice one guys. I've read all the buying guides on here and will hopefully invest soon. Only thing that i'd change on the willy would be the dashboard and some of the interior, looks a bit drab really. Anyone ever done that on here and stuck in something newer from a 172/182 for example?

Tommo
20-01-2010, 17:21
Nah keep it original imo

Tommo
20-01-2010, 17:24
Have a look in sales section, Matty has a superb Williams 2 for sale, may be worth spending a bit more than 3k and getting a mint one...

Tommo
20-01-2010, 17:25
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35007

Jamie.
20-01-2010, 17:26
Foxy has a mk2 dash in his valver/track car. I think you'll have a job fitting it tbh and you'll lose oil temp, pressure and cold readings.

Nothing against Jord either, but, the mk2 dash does look a little pants in it tbh.

LEIGH-ANNE
20-01-2010, 17:27
Your get a 'decent' one for 3k imo.

Let me no if u do buy one tho and do rip the dash out...i do NOT want to see the pics of of a phase 2 dash in a williams lol :lol:

busterhymes
20-01-2010, 17:27
Nice one guys. I've read all the buying guides on here and will hopefully invest soon. Only thing that i'd change on the willy would be the dashboard and some of the interior, looks a bit drab really. Anyone ever done that on here and stuck in something newer from a 172/182 for example?

all part of the cars character and dumping a different dash in is obviously a matter of taste but all it will do is devalue the car we have all seen the comments on std and non std but these cars are fast becoming a rarity and a classic guess you can tell which point of view i have :D :wink:

busterhymes
20-01-2010, 17:29
Let me no if u do buy one tho and do rip the dash out...i do NOT want to see the pics of of a phase 2 dash in a williams lol :lol:

:lol:

doddy182
20-01-2010, 17:34
That is a great motor indeed....always a pain when your trying to buy a new car and you see a few nice ones but still have yours to sell, and when it comes around to buying they have all sold. Want to make sure its the right car first though and not a duff, shame i cant test drive haha.

northy
20-01-2010, 17:36
mattys is a nice car.

Just watch out for rust - rust is a major killer of these cars now.

Try and find a 1 if you can as thats the orginal car with the plaques.

How much is the focus worth ?

doddy182
20-01-2010, 18:41
Rust is a big concern when buying one yeah. Was thinking of the 1 for the collection value and the 3 for the extra goodies and newness of it. Looking for about 10,500 for the Focus. Only had it 6 months and i paid 11k for it. Decent price i think

MatrixGuy
20-01-2010, 19:10
Buy Mattys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no question. :D

doddy182
20-01-2010, 22:00
Might keep the dash then just to avoid stoning! Haha :D

busterhymes
20-01-2010, 22:03

good lad and happy hunting :D

Jamie.
20-01-2010, 22:25

Learning quick!

Where you from mate, maybe you can attend a meet or two or if you're local go for a drive and beer and we can show you what their about

ThRaXaIR
20-01-2010, 23:03

Learning quick!

Where you from mate, maybe you can attend a meet or two or if you're local go for a drive and beer and we can show you what their about

a drive and beer!? your crazy man!

hey buddy you wont regret a willy! by a 2 and turn it into a track whore, it wont let you down! :D

doddy182
20-01-2010, 23:05
Nottinghamshire. That sounds great to be honest, as there is so much more you can appreciate in actually getting up close with a car rather than looking at it online. I guess thats the problem with buying old motors and appreciating from a far.

Jamie.
20-01-2010, 23:15
Not sure who's up that way tbh. If a few ppl go to that Krispy Kremes meet may be worth venturing over to Manchester, can only be about 1hour drive tops.

Carole Anne
20-01-2010, 23:27
Might keep the dash then just to avoid stoning! Haha

Drab, it has blue dials, blue seatbelts and blue carpet! what more could you want :lol: :razz:

LEIGH-ANNE
20-01-2010, 23:39

good lad and happy hunting :D

+! :wink:

Your closest to 16v_paddy although he owns a valver, he lives in notts too. He manages to get to a few meets.

Jamie.
20-01-2010, 23:48
Paddy at a meet? Ha.

MatBrown
20-01-2010, 23:54
There's doughnuts don't forget!

Mat.

Wobba
21-01-2010, 00:20
Hello and welcome.

The Willy is a cracking little car, quite raw compared to your Ford. With the standard setup you will have tons of laughs, anything modded will have compromises to it so start with standard and go from there. Many keep there's standard.

The main things I look for are the shell and rust, along with regular servicing and coolant changes. Only major problems I have had are due to both my latest Clio's not being looked after in the coolant system, causing a host of issues with stuff like head gaskets and buggered coolant passageways leading to dead engine syndrome. Good oil pressure when warmed up is a good sign.

They are amazingly good value, especially at the moment post-recession, and if you are willing to get your hands dirty and learn, easy to fix too. Great fun on the track, hunting down more modern cars.

My car runs various mods including coilovers. They are a bit bad for crap road driving, but come into their own on track days or good fast roads. The handling is one of the best features of the car along with the great engine that in normal guise gives dollops of low down torque.

Lots of people here are very helpful, both with advice and parts.

talkingfish
21-01-2010, 13:28
I live in Alfreton, Derbyshire - happy to meet to show you my car and what to look for...

doddy182
21-01-2010, 17:34
Cheers Wobba great info. It will be my main car as well as a weekend runner so good performance on both is a plus but not essential.

Talkingfish, would be very interested in seeing your car if thats ok? IM me with your contact details and i'll swing by a weekend!

Wobba
21-01-2010, 20:17
Cheers Wobba great info. It will be my main car as well as a weekend runner so good performance on both is a plus but not essential.

Talkingfish, would be very interested in seeing your car if thats ok? IM me with your contact details and i'll swing by a weekend!

I run my car everyday on a 10 mile, very crap and slow, commute to work and back.

At the end of my run on the way home there is a fun stretch of roundabouts and twisty bits, and when its not too busy I have a hoot. No-one and nothing has EVER kept up with me there. I'm not saying they can't, but the confidence and grip out of that car is amazing. Previously I used to go round there in a Scooby years ago, modified by Prodrive, and was told by one enthusiast he'd never seen anything dispatch those roads so fast. The Willy is even quicker! To get it in top form though you may need to give it some TLC, but once done, it will last for yeeeearrss.

if you use it everyday, expect some things to go wrong. Usually it's simple stuff but you may need to have the ££ ready for when it does and report back here on how to fix it!

I guess you have read Arj256's buyers guide? Arj came with me when I bought mine :) Shame he has gone all gay on us and bought a bike...

doddy182
21-01-2010, 23:32
Haha sound! That's the sort of fun i'm hoping for. Obviously my Focus is no slouch and heaps of fun but its on the wrong side of 10k and some of that back for something cheaper would be mega. I've read the guides and any potential car i see i'll post it up and let you guys pass a verdict on it!

vkosho
22-01-2010, 01:52
Yeh mate. Go for it! You will fall in love and not look back. :D