PDA

View Full Version : Some questions....advice!

diathermy
19-01-2010, 14:53
Hi guys,

knocked front of car in ice, at low speed. Now steering whell off a quarter turn Ppl on here say could be wishbone or subframe. I have had a look and cant see anything obvious.

Is it worth paying around 80 pounds for octaflex?

Also considering changing tie rods and ends as they look a bit knackered...is it worth it?...how much will it cost (parts)

Another thing...how should the engine sound?...mine still sounds a bit raspy at high revs. Have been advised that could be flexi joint, but changed the gasket and tightened springs, but not any real difference. Manifold has been off, and no obvious cracks. May be it just sounds like that for everyone?...or may be flexi joint is not sitting correctly.

Also!...when i put the rubber mount in the centre section on, I cant select reverse!...anyone had this problem?....

Hope you can help. Thinking of getting the octaflex done and getting someone to sort it as I just have no time and want to be able to drive it properly!....which I still have not done!

Wobba
19-01-2010, 15:11
Hi guys,

knocked front of car in ice, at low speed. Now steering whell off a quarter turn Ppl on here say could be wishbone or subframe. I have had a look and cant see anything obvious.

Is it worth paying around 80 pounds for octaflex?

Also considering changing tie rods and ends as they look a bit knackered...is it worth it?...how much will it cost (parts)

Another thing...how should the engine sound?...mine still sounds a bit raspy at high revs. Have been advised that could be flexi joint, but changed the gasket and tightened springs, but not any real difference. Manifold has been off, and no obvious cracks. May be it just sounds like that for everyone?...or may be flexi joint is not sitting correctly.

Also!...when i put the rubber mount in the centre section on, I cant select reverse!...anyone had this problem?....

Hope you can help. Thinking of getting the octaflex done and getting someone to sort it as I just have no time and want to be able to drive it properly!....which I still have not done!

I'd replace the track rods and get the tracking done after the bump you've had, and yea it could be the wishbones that have bent. Quite easy to replace.

The reverse gear issue will be due to worn engine mounts, probably dogbone mount. Cheap and easy to do, as is the gearbox mount.

What is Octaflex?

No idea on engine noise.

Do research for parts at GSF and Eurocarparts. Give them a ring if Williams stuff is not shown.

diathermy
19-01-2010, 15:28
Octaflex is some of machine or tool that allows accurate measurement and for them to determine what is out of alignment. By sounds of it, will be best just to replace stuff myself. How much will the parts cost i.e wishbones, rods, rod ends and what else should I consider replacing?

diathermy
19-01-2010, 16:27
i have seen plenty of post on wishbones.

One stated that the R19 16V wishbones altered the geaometry of the set up. is that the case. Are thses wishbones a silimar match to the originals or are they exactly the same?

Wobba
19-01-2010, 20:19
You can use R19 16v wishbones np. I am currently using them. Not 100% sure if they change anything tbh. There has been mention of being able to fiddle with the castor with Willy ones I believe.