PDA

View Full Version : Cable in the way of removing engine

Red_Dash
13-01-2010, 22:47
First of all I'll apologise if this sounds pretty vauge:

I'm in the process of removing the engine from my Williams 1. I've disconnected the wiring loom from all the connections around the engine and moved the majority of it out of the way of the engine so it can be lifted. However, there is a cable which runs at the back of the engine near the bulkhead that sort of goes near the exhaust manifold. As far as I can see it, I can't move this out of the way without removing the exhaust manifold (and maybe a couple of other bits) but I can't do that until I've lifted the engine to get the exhaust manifold off the exhaust and I don't *think* I can do this without the engine pulling on this cable. I'll post up a picture tomorrow night to help.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying here and what the best plan of action is to move this cable out of the way?

Cheers.

MatBrown
13-01-2010, 22:50
Just leave the loom attached to the engine, far easier, unplugs at the relay box and under the scuttle panel.

Mat.

northy
13-01-2010, 22:51
is it the starter motor wire ?

Red_Dash
13-01-2010, 22:53
yes.. thats the one I think

Red_Dash
13-01-2010, 22:56
Sounds like I might be better leaving the loom on the engine then until it's out of the car.

jw
14-01-2010, 00:31
sounds to me like the wire that goes to the lambda sensor on the exhaust yo can disconect further down new the power rack

2 live
14-01-2010, 01:43
take the mani off in situ

Red_Dash
14-01-2010, 09:00
Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I think I'll leave the loom attached to the engine as I want to clean that up anyway and it'll probably be easier when it's out of the car.

Cheers.

talkingfish
14-01-2010, 10:50
sounds like the lamda sensor to me - should be quite easy to get off once you get under the car - it's attached to the manifold downpipe just before the cat...

cliokiz
14-01-2010, 12:08
Utter pain in the arse to remove/change the wiring loom with the engine in situe.

leave the loom connected to the engine - disconnect from the ECU in the scuttle and unplug in the relay box behind the passenger headlight. Then it'll lift out real easy.

Don't forget to unplug the lambda though as mentioned, and you'll need to unclip the wiring for the lambda and feed it into the bay when you lift it out.

MatBrown
14-01-2010, 22:07
Utter pain in the arse to remove/change the wiring loom with the engine in situe.

Eh?
It's easy, just fiddley, no more than a couple of hours on the first one i did.

Mat.

cliokiz
15-01-2010, 11:21
Well, yeah, anything that involves more than half hours effort is a pain in the arse!

Just annoying having to remove driveshaft, downpipe, brackets etc to remove the oil pressure sensor and lambda sensor wiring.

Oh and the wiring under the inlet!

Wobba
15-01-2010, 12:33
Don't need to unplug all that for the oil pressure sensor. I'll aggee the stuff under the inlet is a pain but not so hard with bonnet off and rad off.

MatBrown
15-01-2010, 19:27
As Wobba said, you don't need to remove all that.

Mat.

cliokiz
18-01-2010, 13:42
I had to when i changed the wiring loom as all the wiring had been put behind the bracket for the starter motor which is bolted to the block. Had to remove driveshaft and downpipe to remove the bracket for the starter to get the wiring out.

Fun times.

MatBrown
18-01-2010, 15:51
They slide behind that bracket.

Mat.