PDA

View Full Version : Snow ruined my day...

Wobba
06-01-2010, 03:03
Just got home. Left work at 7pm.

I travelled 10 miles, hundreds of cars abandoned. Had to dig my way out to get home.

At one point I turned the engine off and it wouldn't start, flat battery I guessed, and was right. Got a tow/bump start from a really nice guy in a random 4x4! All fine after that, car didnt miss a beat.

Going sideways for about 500 yards on an empty stretch of road was fun....if a bit scary!

Smokey McPot
06-01-2010, 09:12
Walking to work is where it at. I really need to get some more appropriate footwear.

Jamie.
06-01-2010, 09:47
Took me a modest 2.5hours to get home, on a similar distance. Problem is, snow has stuck and icey as **** now so I told work I wasn't going to go in as it wasn't worth the risk of crashing my car. Not sure how well that'll go down tbh. Went straight on at a junction myself yesterday had to pull the hand brake up to make it turn otherwise I'd have been off the road. Going really, really slow to.

LEIGH-ANNE
06-01-2010, 11:33
2am dan!!

Thats ridiculous. I hope u havnt gone in today!

Wobba
06-01-2010, 12:36
No way I can get to work today.

I was really pleased with little car. I was going places even some 4x4's were getting stuck. I guess the low weight helped a lot.

Amazed how shit some people are at driving. I think it was people who think that stopping halfway up a hill covered in ice were a major problem and cause of congestion. I was giving massive safety distances to the people in front up hills as some were going too slow (don't they have a clue about basic physics?) and would end up getting stuck.

It was really bad conditions, but I think if people knew how to drive properly there would have been nothing like as much traffic.

white16valver
06-01-2010, 12:38
That's some hell commute! lol

You're right about muppet drivers though, no understanding of even basic concepts of driving in snow :roll:

16v_paddy
06-01-2010, 12:40
That's some hell commute! lol

You're right about muppet drivers though, no understanding of even basic concepts of driving in snow :roll:

A lot of them have no understanding of the basic concepts of driving :roll: let alone in the snow :x

Matty86
06-01-2010, 12:40
i've just woken up! I assumed last night I was going to be snowed in and I am! :D

probably about 10cm here... luckily LMG is tucked up in her garage, nice and safe :D

2 live
06-01-2010, 13:19
iv got the day off cos the schools shut.

had loads of fun in the van yest lol. even had to push my boss out after th muppet got stuck. wasnt worth gettin out the van hehe. some ppl just deont know how to drive in the snow, i was having fun in the car parks while he was sat spinning his wheels getting dug in. then he was askin me to push him out....nob, heres a shovel, learn to drive then it wont happen lol

Tommo
06-01-2010, 13:37
Had to laugh at the typical BMW drivers not realising they drive a RWD car - spin city... :lol:

summeh
06-01-2010, 13:38
makes me laugh when we get a bit of snow... your right dan people just have no ****ing idea about how to drive in these conditions or prepare for them, its people that cause all the hold ups and problems, not the snow :p

stripped willy is an ideal car for these conditions tbh.

tbh you should have just got out and walked home mate... guessing you not dressed/prepped appropriately tho :p

richy
06-01-2010, 20:45
most people in this country have very little or no experience of driving in snowy/icey conditions which instantly makes it a nightmare tbh, most people are not prepared either which tbh is fair enough as we really dont see much snow in all honesty,

last night some guy came flying down one of the roads in my estate and indicated to turn right and slid straight into the kerb on the corner! lol, they dont plough or grit the estate i live on!! what a tool he was lol

Jamie.
06-01-2010, 21:32
I have no experience and found it challenging. I was going no more than 20mph and not braking just allowing my speed to come down in gear but still managed to lock up twice and slide on at a junction.

Hence, why I didn't risk it. I'm not crashing my car for a shitty days pay.

glyn211269
06-01-2010, 22:34
Had to laugh at the typical BMW drivers not realising they drive a RWD car - spin city... :lol:

Hey, don't tarnish me with that brush just because I've got a 330d!

To get round the problem of RWD in snow, I just drive everywhere in reverse - Simples!

Jamie.
06-01-2010, 22:36

To get round the problem of RWD in snow, I just drive everywhere in reverse - Simples!

330d huh? Trying to get the wife one of these. My mate has one and I do like it.

glyn211269
06-01-2010, 22:42

330d huh? Trying to get the wife one of these. My mate has one and I do like it.

It is a beast - but not in the snow. Then its like a helpless beached whale. It took four of us nearly half an hour to get it out of a snowy lane yesterday which posed little problem for the Astra, Focus and Ibiza in the same place!

Wobba
07-01-2010, 00:01
Summeh - I was in cold weather gear as I've been authorising everyone at the office to wear sensible warm clothes instead of the flimsy office garb since the cold-snap.

Interesting people mentioning BMW's. I did see several really struggling to get initial traction, was like watching someone at Santa Pod dump the clutch at max revs in a powerful car. The worst bit of moron-at-the-wheel was a guy trying to get out of the bottom of a dip we were all in, he drove all over the place looking for a way out but couldn't even get up the tiniest of gradients. Was one of them Chrysler Coupe thingies I think. Watched him for an hour wheelspinning his way into trouble, whilst little Williams chugged happily up a steep slope on ice :)

white16valver
07-01-2010, 13:36
I think all RWD cars need to go and get several bags of sand and stick them in the boot for extra weight!! :lol:

stevie_b
07-01-2010, 15:09
:lol: Ive got an engine in the boot and it's still rubbish in snow!

Wobba
08-01-2010, 17:55
The compacted ice made reversing uphill out of the driveway area very hard indeed. Got it sorted now though, bought a shedload of kitty litter and put that down to act as my personal gritting system hehe, works a treat.

2 live
08-01-2010, 18:32
til all the local moggies come n take a dump on ur drive lol

Wobba
08-01-2010, 18:33
til all the local moggies come n take a dump on ur drive lol

Lol! :P

Tommo
13-01-2010, 11:28
When's this snow gonna end, coming down hard again in Chester... :cry:

LEIGH-ANNE
13-01-2010, 12:27
Same in southampton too :cry:

Wobba
13-01-2010, 13:03
Same in Southampton too :cry:

The traffic is abysmal. The main roads are fine (small lanes still bad) but I think some get it in their head if they can see lumps of snow on the side of the road they should max their speed for a week to 2 MPH, just in case, holding up the rest of us!

Massive traffic jams for no apparent reason this week. Takes me usually 1.5 hours to only go 9 miles to work.

white16valver
13-01-2010, 14:36
Muppets who slow down for no reason whatsoever drive me nuts :x

glyn211269
13-01-2010, 16:36
there are some folks who drive stupidly slowly.
And others that go stupidly fast.
there's got to be a happy medium in there somewhere.
But better safe than sorry I suppose.
My everyday car's rear wheel drive so I'm pretty cautious when its snowy.
But if I see other cars on my tail I get out the way and let them past.
Shame folks with caravans dont do that!!

Wobba
13-01-2010, 18:19
What really stuns me is the people who accelerate so slowly, do 30 in a 40 or 50 zone in perfect conditions, then by the time they actually get up to 40/50 hit a 30 zone but carry on at their hard fought for speed in their shedmobile. If you overtake them however they'll flash you and wave their fists flashing madly. Haha. Goons.

I am all for safety but there are some out there who must be scared of their own shadow the way they drive.

I've been ENCOURAGING tail out action in the slush and snow at lower speeds when no one is about. Its fun as long as I dont curb the alloys. I told a couple of the ladies at work this and they were OUTRAGED, like I am some kind of child abuser lol, though they do think going over the speed limit by even 1 MPH is totally unacceptable as well no matter what.

LEIGH-ANNE
13-01-2010, 18:33
ladies at work are goons lol

fairs, wen one one else around, no curbs, no parked cars etc...

white16valver
13-01-2010, 19:18
If you overtake them however they'll flash you and wave their fists flashing madly. Haha. Goons.

I told a couple of the ladies at work this and they were OUTRAGED, like I am some kind of child abuser lol, though they do think going over the speed limit by even 1 MPH is totally unacceptable as well no matter what.
lol

What makes me laugh is these sort of people are the ones who take literally zero interest in improving their driving - they passed their test, what more is there to learn?

They don't learn about the limits of their braking, acceleration and handling, or the latest and best tyres and brakes, and they don't learn about limit point analysis, acceleration sense, the Roadcraft system... yet when you employ these things to make perfectly reasonable progress, you're the maniac!

I think I'd prefer to be in a car that was overtaking and driven by someone who had an interest in driving and was considering all the variables involved at that point in time, rather than being passenger to someone who was in cloud cuckoo land and thinking about their food shopping later that evening...

I would also lay money on these women being the ones who will get caught doing 40 through their own village, because it's only those boy racers and people passing through that speed!!11!1 LoL

ThRaXaIR
13-01-2010, 19:19
What really stuns me is the people who accelerate so slowly, do 30 in a 40 or 50 zone in perfect conditions, then by the time they actually get up to 40/50 hit a 30 zone but carry on at their hard fought for speed in their shedmobile. If you overtake them however they'll flash you and wave their fists flashing madly. Haha. Goons.

I am all for safety but there are some out there who must be scared of their own shadow the way they drive.

I've been ENCOURAGING tail out action in the slush and snow at lower speeds when no one is about. Its fun as long as I dont curb the alloys. I told a couple of the ladies at work this and they were OUTRAGED, like I am some kind of child abuser lol, though they do think going over the speed limit by even 1 MPH is totally unacceptable as well no matter what.

o god thats annoying. totally with you chap!! people going 40 in a 50 then you hit 30 and the toss pots stay at 40!

Wobba
13-01-2010, 20:02
You are right that most of these people have no interest in driving itself and take no pride in their car either usually.

Most of the finger waggers and self righteous bunch are just people who want to fit in with the other zombies out there, towing the anti-car lobby line without actually knowing what they are talking about, spewing their sycophantic drivel wherever they go...you can hear there screams as they tailgate you blindly on the motorway...

col
13-01-2010, 21:26
Bad weather aside,do you notice how people dont overtake these days?

they all quite merrilly sit behind one another doing 25 mph, and then shake their fists at you when you quite legally pass them,

Whats that all about,..... :? :shock:

Wobba
14-01-2010, 10:51
Bad weather aside,do you notice how people dont overtake these days?

they all quite merrilly sit behind one another doing 25 mph, and then shake their fists at you when you quite legally pass them,

Whats that all about,..... :? :shock:

I used to overtake all the time on single lanes going down to Cornwall in the Scooby or the Raider.

It is harder nowadays though, increased traffic, people giving you a hard time due to changing attitudes, the thought police, anti-speed lobby, the 'wrap-you-in-cotton-wool' government legislation, speed cameras all over.

It's one major reason why trackdays have boomed in recent years. Owning a performance car on roads we frequently use is pointless virtually, unless you take time to go out to some of the glorious roads here and there when they are not busy.

Tommo
14-01-2010, 13:20
We had an email a few months ago from the environmental bods in work telling us how to drive more eco friendly, I sent one back saying "is driving like you stole it an option?" they didn't see the funny side of it...

Wobba
14-01-2010, 14:19
We had an email a few months ago from the environmental bods in work telling us how to drive more eco friendly, I sent one back saying "is driving like you stole it an option?" they didn't see the funny side of it...

Hhaaha!!

white16valver
14-01-2010, 14:21
lol Good man ;)

I will drive to maintain safety (and speed ;)) - I'm not shifting into 5th to be 'eco' and then drifting over the speed I want to do or failing to stop quickly enough because I have no engine braking :?

I still overtake though, often several cars at one time! It amazes me that on a clear, straight bit of road, people will just sit doing 48mph in a National because they seemingly are completely switched off or just are completely incompetent and overtaking doesn't even cross their mind.

Doing advanced training is great - it teaches you to spot overtaking opportunities that you wouldn't have done before (and hold back from overtaking where you would have before because you didn't spot a risk) so you can make good progress!

Wobba
14-01-2010, 16:00
lol Good man ;)

I will drive to maintain safety (and speed ;)) - I'm not shifting into 5th to be 'eco' and then drifting over the speed I want to do or failing to stop quickly enough because I have no engine braking :?

I still overtake though, often several cars at one time! It amazes me that on a clear, straight bit of road, people will just sit doing 48mph in a National because they seemingly are completely switched off or just are completely incompetent and overtaking doesn't even cross their mind.

Doing advanced training is great - it teaches you to spot overtaking opportunities that you wouldn't have done before (and hold back from overtaking where you would have before because you didn't spot a risk) so you can make good progress!

you are an IAM member?

2 live
14-01-2010, 19:35
is ur cat an IAM s cat?

white16valver
15-01-2010, 14:30
LOL

Very good ;) :lol:

I have done IAM, yes :)