PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temp

Tommo
29-12-2009, 12:47
Right a little prob with the williams. It's been off the road for a few months, first day out in it today and I have noticed the coolant temp won't rise, it's like it's running "cold" lol. Any ideas? It seems to creep up when sat at idle, just when I'm driving it won't budge! Poss thermostat? Everything else seems to be ok

LEIGH-ANNE
29-12-2009, 12:58
I expect a tiny sensor cos of the freezing conditions...only a few quid for them...get on to mat brown :wink:

katbloke
29-12-2009, 13:01
My williams wouldnt start the other day due to a flat battery, chatged it up and left it running, took over 1/2 hour for the fan to kick, whilst driving the ambient temp mean the temp gauge rarely made it to what i would define as normal

Purple
29-12-2009, 13:31
Do you need to know what the coolant temperature is in winter? I would have thought as long as the coolant flows (ie: not frozen solid) would suffice.

Tommo
29-12-2009, 13:56
Not really purple, I just like everything to work as it should, I'm a bit fussy like that! lol

Thanks guys, I suppose it could just be the stupidly cold weather we have been experiencing lately, I'll leave it for now and see if it bounces back into life when the weather warms up a bit...

Purple
29-12-2009, 14:23
I know what you mean. You are talking to a guy who put marked up masking tapes on the dial when a friend of mine baby-sat my clio when I was away for several weeks :)

Yeah, definitely check the dials are pointed correctly when the weather's warmer.

LEIGH-ANNE
29-12-2009, 17:22
I know what you mean. You are talking to a guy who put marked up masking tapes on the dial when a friend of mine baby-sat my clio when I was away for several weeks :)

:lol:

Dont blame u in the slightest

Grimsby
29-12-2009, 19:15
I just had this problem with mine. coolant temp sensor i changed first and found out it wasnt actually that so changed to stat £10 ish from my local motor factors. which i found was constantly open resulting in it constantly cooling the engine. Runs up to temperature fine now just got to change my Heater Matrix to get some heat into the cabin :) hope this helps

Tommo
29-12-2009, 19:27
Why did you need to change the heater matrix mate? Mine blows hot air into the cabin (when it gets up to temperature at idle) so don't think it's this as it would just blow cold/luke warm air at any temperature? Have I got that right?

LEIGH-ANNE
29-12-2009, 19:41
Why did you need to change the heater matrix mate? Mine blows hot air into the cabin (when it gets up to temperature at idle) so don't think it's this as it would just blow cold/luke warm air at any temperature? Have I got that right?

You dont need to change ur matrix tommo

richy
29-12-2009, 21:09
will proberly be the thermostat sticking, what condition is you coolant in?

GavinMccoull
29-12-2009, 21:45
Could just be the freezing weather. I drove from edinburgh to glasgow the other day and my oil temp never went above 80 and coolant never registered the whole journey. Mind you it was -7 or something.