PDA

View Full Version : Brakes vs lower gear for slowing down?

GabrielKnight
18-12-2009, 00:01
Just need some clarification for my advanced driving course.
Which is better for
a) performance driving / racing
b) the car

I guess that most drivers use both, often at the same time, but what are the ideal ratios?
I'm thinking that performance / racing drivers might choose a lower gear first and release the clutch earlier while hitting the brakes hard so they're already locked into the correct gear, with greater traction, to pull away from the corner? Is this the correct technique?

I'm also thinking that for pottering around town, using the brakes first, then changing gear is kinder to the car because brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes?

schakal
18-12-2009, 09:04
no expert by any means but i have been using compression to aid braking on the road/track for years never been able to blow up a gearbox.
i usually would allready be on the brakes (every second makes a difference) while dropping the gear ,ease off the clutch pedal to let it bite as gentle as possible at the time/condition .its like an extra brake disc probably much more efficent from in terms of not locking the wheels etc .

obviously the rev range and the gear you are in are important .
dropping it from 5th to 2nd at speed would most probably blow your
gearbox or damage it but say you are doing 3k revs in 5th
dropping to 3rd for an emergency stop would not hurt .

col
18-12-2009, 19:47
BACK IN my day using gearbox to slow down was the norm........thats because brakes were crap, an if your gearbox didnt have synchros you double de clutch............to be fair i still do it even imy merc........i love it

DaneC
21-12-2009, 14:02
I tried to do all this heel and toeing, double de clutching and what have you, and just epically fail.

I'm too young to do all that old fogie shit!

silverhornetclio
21-12-2009, 14:05
i always heal toe when giviung bean's that way the box can slow the engine, and the brakes are doing their work to!

busterhymes
21-12-2009, 16:30
easier to change pads and discs than a gearbox if you get it wrong :wink:

Justin..
21-12-2009, 19:04
Slowing through the gears these days is only really usefull in ice/snow if you dont have abs as it stops your wheels locking up

1995clio16v
21-12-2009, 22:48
Is this another trawling account name, from that...remind me of his name.... :lol:

fasterthanjesus
22-12-2009, 08:58
advanced driving lessons by an ex police driving instructor.

"its far cheaper to replace brake components".

saying that though, he still drove like he was driving miss daisy.